· Views: 820725
  · Votes: 1316
  · Comments: 86

Gunwriters and gun magazines and their drivel
Discussions related to Guns and Firearms
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FALPhil

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 5:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Gunwriters and gun magazines and their drivel Reply with quote

gelandangan, I imagine that you are witnessing supply and demand at work. Does Australia have a domestic sporting arms industry?

gelandangan

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 6:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Gunwriters and gun magazines and their drivel Reply with quote

FALPhil wrote:
Does Australia have a domestic sporting arms industry?

Shocked Australia have industry?? you mean besides wot we found below ground or grown on farms?
nah mate we don't .. Sad

Now that Labor wins the elections, I think whatever small industries left will also gone too.. coz them unions will try to close everyone down. Sad I am not against the union, but their ways are sometimes unreasonable..

One good note tho, our new prime minister (Kevin Rudd) is/was a shooter, at least thats what the campaigners said... that may help the sport a bit... Finger crossed.

Do - Not try!

gelandangan.weebly.com/
Vince
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 6:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Gunwriters and gun magazines and their drivel Reply with quote

gelandangan wrote:
Bleh, you guys b!tching bout having to pay $400 for a rifle???

Here in Australia, we have to pay at least double or more for the same gun Sad

My last purchase, a H&R Buffalo Classic cost me over $850 AUD including delivery (in today's exchange rate, thats about $760 USD) where in the US, the same gun is only about $350.

So, yeah, Vince is right, the importers got all the profits. Mad

Yer totally right Gelan. My Weatherby Vanguard in .243 that I bought new 5 years ago fitted with a Nikko Stirling Platinum 3.5-10 x 40 scope set me back over AUD$1100. Gun prices in Australia...heck, any prices...are expensive. They are any number of reasons for this, which we don't have the time or space to go into here, but one of the highest up the list is plain simple greed.

Illegitimi non carborundum
(Never let the bastards grind you down)

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.

"Nulla Si Fa Senza Volonta."
(Without Commitment, Nothing Gets Done)
Coyote_Hunter_

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 9:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Gunwriters and gun magazines and their drivel Reply with quote

Joe Boleo wrote:
Are you good folks taken aback when a gunwriter praises a $3,000.00 rifle or $4,000.00 shotgun as being "reasonably priced" or within the budget of most hunters and shooters? I certainly could not and would not pay that amount for any rifle or shotgun.
To be honest I have never seen an article saying a “$3,000.00 rifle or $4,000.00” was “within the budget of most hunters and shooters”.

That said, “reasonably priced” is relative. $3,000 or $4,000 would be a bargain for many firearms. Would I ever buy a firearm costing that much? No. But I know folks who wouldn’t bat an eye at dollar amount. The question of “reasonably priced” involves more than just the price, it also involves the specific firearm in question.

Quote::

I have reduced the number of gun magazines I buy for the same reason. When a publication names a "Gun of The Year" that costs as much as my used SUV, we part company. Once in a blue moon, a gun magazine may run a half-baked article on buying used guns. They focus on new guns.

It shouldn’t be surprising that gun rags focus on new firearms – with few exceptions that’s what their sponsors are selling. That’s OK to me as I’m more interested in the new stuff even though most of my firearms were acquired used. Articles on older guns are rather frequent – I even read a few - so not all articles are about new firearms. Articles on buying used guns are rather infrequent but that’s not surprising – unless a specific type of firearm is being discussed the subject would get rather old rather quickly.

Quote::

I shop the used gun racks on a regular basis. When I find domething I like, I haggle with the gun shop. Usually, it is possible to get discounts if you are a frequent customer. Just the idle thoughts of an idle fellow. Take care...
Joe

I, too, search the used gun racks and gun shows. Over the years I’ve picked up a number of excellent firearms at prices well under the cost of the same firearm new. On the other hand, I see a lot of junk and overpriced used stuff as well. On several occasions I’ve been able to buy a new firearm for less than the prices being asked for otherwise identical used firearms. Should the magazines write articles on how to be a smart shopper, too?

Shopping for used firearms is no different that reading gun rags – the reader/buyer has to filter out the garbage to get to the good stuff. And there is no shortage of good stuff in either case.

In my opinion…

English Mike

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 9:48 am    Post subject: Re: Gunwriters and gun magazines and their drivel Reply with quote

Vince wrote:
gelandangan wrote:
Bleh, you guys b!tching bout having to pay $400 for a rifle???

Here in Australia, we have to pay at least double or more for the same gun Sad

My last purchase, a H&R Buffalo Classic cost me over $850 AUD including delivery (in today's exchange rate, thats about $760 USD) where in the US, the same gun is only about $350.

So, yeah, Vince is right, the importers got all the profits. Mad

Yer totally right Gelan. My Weatherby Vanguard in .243 that I bought new 5 years ago fitted with a Nikko Stirling Platinum 3.5-10 x 40 scope set me back over AUD$1100. Gun prices in Australia...heck, any prices...are expensive. They are any number of reasons for this, which we don't have the time or space to go into here, but one of the highest up the list is plain simple greed.

Economy of scale mate:

Big market in the US means plenty of competition & therefore a lower mark up all through the supply chain, leading to fair prices.
Over here a $540 Savage costs £670 ($1350) because they're unlikely to sell many in a year. 17.5% VAT(purchase tax) doesn't help either. Mad
chambered221

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 11:26 am    Post subject: Re: Gunwriters and gun magazines and their drivel Reply with quote

Is a gun worth $1,000 $2,000 or even $5,000?????????????
It all depends on who you ask, and what the gun in question is.

To most hunters, paying over $1,000 for a gun, scope and box of ammo is just too much. Most hunters in the woods today only spend a couple of days afeild. Why should I spend that kind of money for something that gets used so little. This is why we have $200 shotguns, $500 packaged deer rifles and scopes for under $50. In most cases they work just as good.

Now put the serious varmit hunter in mind. The guy that goes out evry chance he gets. Sits at the reloading bench for hours, and spends as much time at the shooting bench. Just to shave another 1/8" off of group size. This guy is more than likely willing to spend a little more and in some cases alot more. To him a $1500 Cooper or $2500 H-S Pression built varmit rifle makes sense.

Enter into the competitive world of shooting and watch how fast the expense grows. In some cases you need to spend alot of money just to have a gun that is capable of giving you a win.

Over the years I have been around some rather expensive firearms and have had the honor of shooting them. I can honestly say "you get what you pay for". Is it worth what it cost? Most times, "No".
But I will say this. Their is something to be said about the fit and feel of theese guns. The smoothness and ease of operation in the actions on them.Even the way a high dollar shotgun swings on your target.

When ever you want to question the cost of a firearm, remember this.Some guys drive a stripped down Chevy truck and others drive a Cadillac Escalade.

Just my two cents
FALPhil

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 11:39 am    Post subject: Re: Gunwriters and gun magazines and their drivel Reply with quote

chambered221 wrote:
When ever you want to question the cost of a firearm, remember this. Some guys drive a stripped down Chevy truck and others drive a Cadillac Escalade.

Yep. And the corollary is that the Chevy gets you there just as fast as the Cadillac.

In my book, it doesn't make sense to spend $3K on a hunting rifle. But if that is how someone wants to spend his money, that is his business, not mine. I have about $1K total in my best shooting rifle, built on a Savage action, including glass, and it is an honest cloverleaf-grouping rifle. I did most of the work myself. I would call it a 'Chevy'. I have a buddy who has over $3K in his 'varmint' AR-15. It doesn't shoot any better than my Savage, but it looks like a space gun and he is darned proud of it. He would call his rifle a ' Cadillac'.
Bushmaster

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 12:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Gunwriters and gun magazines and their drivel Reply with quote

Chambered221 Ya forgot whether you can afford it or not. In my case...NO...The most expensive firearm I paid for was the Browning A-bolt and it was a shelf deminstration gun and had a few scratches on the stock. The clerk appologized for them and I told him that it would have a few more before the season was over. Total cost ...$577. Rifle and scope. I couldn't afford that rifle today. At least not cash and carry.

Oh. and I drive a 1998 Chevy Silverado...

DEMOCRACY Two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for lunch...
LIBERTY A well armed sheep contesting the outcome of the vote...
chambered221

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 12:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Gunwriters and gun magazines and their drivel Reply with quote

Yea!!! But, You be Stylin in the Caddy.

Seriously though, I don't own a Caddy or a $3000 Rifle.

Just trying to point out there's a market for the high dollar stuff.
Bushmaster

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 12:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Gunwriters and gun magazines and their drivel Reply with quote

If ya want to know the truth, I am "stylin" in the Silverado. Extended cab, 4X4, 6 way power split bench seat with lumbar, cruise control, power windows and locks, A/C, PS, PB (ABS), AM/FM CD & Cassett player, Auto rear view mirror (has a compass and auto dim), power outside mirrors, 350 Vortec engine/sequential fuel injection with 4 speed OD auto trans. All I do is steer and push buttons...For me, comin' from a 1972 GMC, that's "STYLIN'"... Very Happy

007 (small).jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  82.32 KB
 Viewed:  6749 Time(s)

007 (small).jpg

Last edited by Bushmaster on Mon Nov 26, 2007 12:42 pm; edited 2 times in total
chambered221

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 12:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Gunwriters and gun magazines and their drivel Reply with quote

Yes Bushy I can afford a high dollar gun.
chambered221

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 12:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Gunwriters and gun magazines and their drivel Reply with quote

I do like the way you think Bushy. Your a man thats happy with what he's got.
Bushmaster

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 12:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Gunwriters and gun magazines and their drivel Reply with quote

Pretty much. I'm naturally a happy person. But guarded...

Hummmm. Wonder where that farier is. He's due to shoe two of my horses...

Dimitri

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 5:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Gunwriters and gun magazines and their drivel Reply with quote

Well its not only a matter of what you can AFFORD but what you are willing to save money on even if you have more "important" things to get.

I mean the M1A I'm buying JUST the rifle is alittle under 2,750$ once you factor in taxes. Can I really afford it at the amount of money I make at work ?? Not really. Laughing

Do I want it bad enough I've saved up all the money I can to buy the rifle ?? Yup and its on order now with the case and cleaning kit from Springfield Armory as well. Cool

Bushmaster wrote:
Hummmm. Wonder where that farier is. He's due to shoe two of my horses...

I wouldn't want to be the farrier thats coming over. Shocked

By the way your sure that truck is 9 years old looks newer then that. Laughing

Dimitri

FALPhil

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 7:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Gunwriters and gun magazines and their drivel Reply with quote

Dimitri, what kind of work do you do?

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » Gun & Firearm Discussions
Page 2 of 4