Albums: 308
 Pictures: 2452
  · Views: 824024
  · Votes: 1316
  · Comments: 86

Busted!
Big Game Hunting topics that dont fit other categories
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » Big Game Hunting

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Grey_Wolf

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 9:18 pm    Post subject: Busted! Reply with quote

The other night Me and my little wolf pup (call him Grey Jr.) went elk hunting. I should clarify - my "little wolf pup" has been bigger than the old dog for a while now. I must have fed him too good when still in the den.

Anyway he came home from the city to hunt with the old dog and we had set out a couple of tree stands. Jr. was drawn for Antlerless Elk this year (it'll be good for the rifle season too if we don't connect with the bow) and I picked up a general tag that allows me to take a cow or bull with three points or more in the bow season only. Here we count points on one side not a running total.

I've had Elk on camera all summer so this seemed like a good place to park. Jr. has had them all around him for the past week, just not quite close enough for a shot. I was in my stand the other night and a bull comes out between us. I thought it was moving away from me and going toward Jr., wrong. Just minutes before end of hunt time this bull comes into my field of view! A four point! Dammit, I'm not ready for him. At this point I'm REALLY wishing that someone would answer that damned phone so the ringing in my ears would stop and I could hear better. Ah well, he comes down into one of my shooting lanes but I'm not ready, that's ok I figure I'll draw and catch him coming across the next one. There are a few skinny spruce trees blocking (yeah right) him from seeing me. No sooner do I pick up my bow and the bull jumps like he's been shot! Busted. Wasn't me? He ran across the pipeline right of way, zigged left, zagged right then stopped by a clump of poplars just out of range. He waited a few minutes then walked a bit of an arc around me and off through the bush. So close - 22 yards! I still don't know how he spotted me.

So today Jr. sees a nice young bull moose. Last years calf by the looks of him. And Jr. doesn't have a bull moose tag - he decided not to apply for it this year. The moose sloowwly walked past him at about 15 yards. Yes I did remind him it was his decision not to apply for that draw this year Very Happy

161 (750x563).jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  504.26 KB
 Viewed:  9992 Time(s)

161 (750x563).jpg

Vince
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 11:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Busted! Reply with quote

GW...why weren't you ready mate??? Scratch Scratch

At least you know they are there mate, so there is always tomorrow. It might well be worth going through your procedures to see if there is something that would have spooked him mate...maybe a little jingle from a piece of gear, or a creak from your seat in the tree stand, maybe you farted Fart wouldn't be the first time that happened I reckon...anything that doesn't sound, or smell (don't forget the wind), natural would be what I'd be looking for mate. Maybe it was something Jr did that spooked him...I'd ask him if he moved etc.

Illegitimi non carborundum
(Never let the bastards grind you down)

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.

"Nulla Si Fa Senza Volonta."
(Without Commitment, Nothing Gets Done)
Elvis

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 2:24 am    Post subject: Re: Busted! Reply with quote

Next time bud...next time.

Aloysius

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 3:20 am    Post subject: Re: Busted! Reply with quote

sometimes it takes 5 minutes to succeed, sometimes no succes after trying 5 weeks... that's hunting!
But as so often: even the trying is fun Smile
slimjim

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 4:05 am    Post subject: Re: Busted! Reply with quote

Well put Aloys. Better luck next time, Grey_Wolf.

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it." - Albert Einstein
Grey_Wolf

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 4:38 am    Post subject: Re: Busted! Reply with quote

Vince wrote:
GW...why weren't you ready mate??? Scratch Scratch

At least you know they are there mate, so there is always tomorrow. It might well be worth going through your procedures to see if there is something that would have spooked him mate...maybe a little jingle from a piece of gear, or a creak from your seat in the tree stand, maybe you farted Fart wouldn't be the first time that happened I reckon...anything that doesn't sound, or smell (don't forget the wind), natural would be what I'd be looking for mate. Maybe it was something Jr did that spooked him...I'd ask him if he moved etc.

Yeah, I thought of that but can't figure it out. Jr. was too far away to have done it. His stand is a couple hundred or so yards away near a trail they frequent. As for other noise you could very well be right but I didn't hear it. Things need to be relatively loud for me to hear above the ringing in my ears. Nope. Absolutely did not fart lol. I lucked onto this piece of land this summer cutting hay. First time for me cutting this piece this summer and thought I'd stick a camera up to see what there is to see and oh boy was I surprised. As to why I wasn't ready - I really thought he was moving away from me. I actually didn't hear him just all of a sudden poof he was there! Next time I'll be standing with bow in hand. Oh yeah, Jr. has also seen a 6 point from his stand. Gotta work on those cow calls.....
Grey_Wolf

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 11:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Busted! Reply with quote

Well. Jr.'s time is up, has to go back to work now. We went out again tonight and not an elk to be seen, or heard. Saw several White Tail but nothing close enough. Not quite. There was a couple of fawns apparently without a mother that were running around playing. I knew they were coming but hadn't seen them yet when suddenly they bolted out from some cover and ran out past me. Closest they got was maybe 25 yards. Even if they were big enough to shoot it would have been more like wing shooting ducks. At first I thought I'd been busted again and was starting to get a wee bit ticked (like how?! did they spot me) but then I watched them for the next 15 minutes. They had no idea I was there. They were running, jumping, buckin' and going in circles like a couple of colts. Pretty sure it was the same ones I saw the other night and decided to let moma take care of her babies this winter. Guess the next guy didn't think like that. We have had a few pretty tough winters in a row that took it's toll on the deer. Two winters back I shoveled about 3 1/2' of snow off the roof just after Christmas and later another couple of feet. Must have been close to ten quonsets and barns had their roof fall in under the load. There are at least three dry does in that area so that is what I'll pick for my meat. Hoping Jr. can come home for Thanksgiving next weekend and we'll give it another go. Sure would like to get an elk.
Elvis

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 12:13 am    Post subject: Re: Busted! Reply with quote

GW mate...go and buy yourself a pair of electronic earmuffs...you know the ones that shut themself off when you fire a rifle or rev chainsaw Scratch ...yeah yeah I know it sounds silly as you using a bow...but its amazing what you will hear with volume turned up high...I have lost the high pitched tone from my left ear Sad and find while wearing these muffs which are mono not stereo that Im hearing things from a loooong way off,just cant pick where they are coming from Confused .... the stereo ones would solve that but Im to tight to buy a pair. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Vince
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 4:42 am    Post subject: Re: Busted! Reply with quote

That's a damn fine idea Elvis. Like both of you I have tinnitus and have also lost a couple of frequencies from my range of hearing, so maybe those electronic muffs will help. I just hope I can get a set that are thin enough to use whilst shooting my shotguns.

Illegitimi non carborundum
(Never let the bastards grind you down)

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.

"Nulla Si Fa Senza Volonta."
(Without Commitment, Nothing Gets Done)
Grey_Wolf

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 7:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Busted! Reply with quote

Elvis wrote:
GW mate...go and buy yourself a pair of electronic earmuffs...you know the ones that shut themself off when you fire a rifle or rev chainsaw Scratch ...yeah yeah I know it sounds silly as you using a bow...but its amazing what you will hear with volume turned up high...I have lost the high pitched tone from my left ear Sad and find while wearing these muffs which are mono not stereo that Im hearing things from a loooong way off,just cant pick where they are coming from Confused .... the stereo ones would solve that but Im to tight to buy a pair. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Never thought to use them. I have a pair that came with a lead sled that I bought. Liked them so much for shooting that I bought Jr. a pair (better quality) for his birthday and made him promise to always use them - I don't want him to go through what I am. These are stereo ... hmm ... might be worth a try. Thanks for the idea Elvis!
Elvis

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 11:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Busted! Reply with quote

stereo...go stand in middle of lawn with eyes closed and point to person talking to you...you will have them "tuned" when you can pick it right each time I reckon.
Vince...I wore mine the other month when I had great night spotlighting using my pump .12ga.... all those poor wee hares and a DEER Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Grey_Wolf

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 5:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Busted! Reply with quote

Well junior was out for the last kick at archery season and it seems we will be skunked. I wasn't able to go out with him this time. He pulled the card on the camera for me and there hasn't been an elk there since the week after I got busted. hmm? Rifle season opens nov. 1 and I'm hoping that Yes Dear will be willing to get up a little early so I can join junior for opening day. We'll see how she feels
Grey_Wolf

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 11:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Busted! Reply with quote

Second last day for junior being out for rifle season and dad smoked a White Tail doe. I really would rather that theyt came out in front of junior but ... ah well .... can't pass it up. The elk have moved on to a neighbours place about three miles south where the renter still has 30 acres of uncombined oats in swath! We will be allowed in there once he gets his bull.

So tonight we tried another spot that we were told had Mule Deer coming out into swathed oats for grazing (it's supposed to be for swath grazing cows not deer btw). Decent size for a White Tail, sorry no pics. Shot her with about five minutes of legal time left and got in a rush to find, drag and load her then get home quick to cook supper for Yes Dear (she only wanted a hot dog) then skin and dress the doe. Shot her with my 6.5x55 and a 140 grain Chinchaga bullet. The Chinchagas are made here in Alberta by a fellow that makes bullets, hunts and shoots F Class. The doe went about 75 yards before piling up. The shot was a little far back and quartering but amazingly didn't bust a gut. Got her home, skinned, dressed, washed her off and left her hang in the shop. Found a few recipes to try - gonna make bacon, jerky and some sausage with this one. Still have tags for two Mule does and a cow elk tag.
Elvis

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 10:58 am    Post subject: Re: Busted! Reply with quote

wooohooo great to hear you got yourself some venison, hope you took out the eye steaks for breakfast today.

DallanC
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 12:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Busted! Reply with quote

Congrats!

-DallanC
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » Big Game Hunting
Page 1 of 3