Photo Albums
 Albums: 308
 Pictures: 2452
  · Views: 824231
  · Votes: 1316
  · Comments: 86

Donations, Hunting Nut
Discussion that doesnt fit other Topics
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » General

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Handloader

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 9:12 pm    Post subject: Donations, Hunting Nut Reply with quote

Like many, I often hit the Hunting Nut website first and enjoy all the information, comments and opinions that I find here. But, nothing comes free. Somewhere, someone is picking up the cost of maintaining and operating this meeting place.

So, the question I pose is not whether we should contribute by donations, rather how much and how often?

DallanC, can you give us some added information? Are you running at all in the red from month to month? It would be shameful if you are going out of pocket; in fact, it would be wonderful if you had some surplus to expand the website as needed.
bodyalter

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 11:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Donations, Hunting Nut Reply with quote

here here!! could even do like a membership drive thingy. I know I would give what I could.

DallanC
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 2:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Donations, Hunting Nut Reply with quote

Handloader wrote:
Like many, I often hit the Hunting Nut website first and enjoy all the information, comments and opinions that I find here. But, nothing comes free. Somewhere, someone is picking up the cost of maintaining and operating this meeting place.

So, the question I pose is not whether we should contribute by donations, rather how much and how often?

DallanC, can you give us some added information? Are you running at all in the red from month to month? It would be shameful if you are going out of pocket; in fact, it would be wonderful if you had some surplus to expand the website as needed.

Thanks for asking. I've never tried to make a profit off of HuntingNut. It has been a fun hobby for me allowing me to keep current in the latest programmer languages, to keep in contact with people and offer a fun place to discuss things

For 5 years I never asked for any money, I was fine paying the monthly costs. When I upgraded the software for the site, and updated the hosting plan costs did rise a bit. Last year I added in the Donations block on the home page to finally allow people to "chip in". It was IMO a big success! I am grateful people donate, not because of the money, but because it shows they really love the place enough to go the extra mile to help out. Last year donations covered the website costs plus a small amount to go towards this year. Its a good thing too because at the rate we are increasing hits, I will have to upgrade our hosting plan again probably in a few months due to extra bandwidth we are using.

So this past year was the first year I didnt have to shell out any money to cover expenses, but at the rate we are going now, nearly 200,000 hits a month, we will have to upgrade plans which will raise the hosting costs.

If people would like to donate, they can either A) send money via paypal through the Donations block on the front page, or B) send money via check to me (I can add it as a donation manually). Paypal does charge me a small percentage to cover the transfer but its not much.

There is a chance I might try to get some specific advertisers too for the various sections that will help out.

-DallanC
Vince
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 9:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Donations, Hunting Nut Reply with quote

Glad you made mention of PayPal Dallan. I am more than happy to make a donation to help cover costs....or at the very least "pay my way", but I wasn't sure how to go about it.

Now I know.

Cheers, Vince

Illegitimi non carborundum
(Never let the bastards grind you down)

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.

"Nulla Si Fa Senza Volonta."
(Without Commitment, Nothing Gets Done)
1895ss

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 11:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Donations, Hunting Nut Reply with quote

on the way......... Smile

freedyf

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 12:29 am    Post subject: Re: Donations, Hunting Nut Reply with quote

I'm willingo make a donation to this site, I enjoy. I've gleaned knowledge, ideas and probably save a few bucks. I didn't see any line to paypal or a mailing address?? Keep up the good work. Freedyf

1895ss

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 12:38 am    Post subject: Re: Donations, Hunting Nut Reply with quote

It's on the home page in the right hand upper corner you will see where it says "Donations." Click it and it will open a new page and you're there.

DallanC
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 11:22 am    Post subject: Re: Donations, Hunting Nut Reply with quote

There are some people who cannot or refuse to use paypal. I used to have the mailing address in the donations block but when I upgraded reciently it looks to have been lost. I'll add it back in.

Thank you everyone who donated!

-DallanC
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » General
Page 1 of 1