No staff members are online!

Coppermine Stats
Photo Albums
 Albums: 308
 Pictures: 2452
  · Views: 824013
  · Votes: 1316
  · Comments: 86

Do You Carry a Handgun when hunting with a Rifle?
Big Game Hunting topics that dont fit other categories
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » Big Game Hunting

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vince
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 4:52 am    Post subject: Re: Do You Carry a Handgun when hunting with a Rifle? Reply with quote

gelandangan wrote:
Hey Vince, haven't you got your R license mate?

Hi Gelan. I handed in my licence about 5 yrs ago.I didn't like the way they were dictating to us about the number of "scored" matches we had to attend each yr and the "promise" of worse to come.

I grabbed the opportunity to cash in all of my pistol bit and pieces and got $5K for my troubles. Allowed me to buy my rifle and shotgun and also my wife to do some things she needed to get done around the house. I've thought about re-applying but I am not convinced it is worth it.....and I couldn't afford to set myself up again. Worst of all, I have lost the passion for pistol shooting.

Cheers, Vince

Illegitimi non carborundum
(Never let the bastards grind you down)

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.

"Nulla Si Fa Senza Volonta."
(Without Commitment, Nothing Gets Done)
Bushmaster

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 7:18 am    Post subject: Re: Do You Carry a Handgun when hunting with a Rifle? Reply with quote

Handloader...I believe that if you reread my post on page 1 that you will note that I did state that my main purpose in carrying a side arm was to dispatch a wounded animal up close and personal. Not my fault that I'm a good enough shot that I haven't needed it for that purpose. Not my fault that the side arm has been more useful to dispatch bad guys coming into camp either...

DEMOCRACY Two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for lunch...
LIBERTY A well armed sheep contesting the outcome of the vote...

Last edited by Bushmaster on Thu Jun 07, 2007 10:00 am; edited 1 time in total
keetoowah

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 9:09 am    Post subject: Re: Do You Carry a Handgun when hunting with a Rifle? Reply with quote

Bushmaster wrote:
keetoowah...You need to look at california's gun laws again. And you can forget CCW there...

thanks Bushmaster for the correction. that was my problem never looked into them in the first place to be honest with ya.
dont care much for California anything except maybe them staying there and not moving in here. too many of them here anyway and land $$ are going through the sky. sure dont want their laws here.
it is a messed up state.

Handloader

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 8:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Do You Carry a Handgun when hunting with a Rifle? Reply with quote

Bushmaster wrote:
Handloader...I believe that if you reread my post on page 1 that you will note that I did state that my main purpose in carrying a side arm was to dispatch a wounded animal up close and personal. Not my fault that I'm a good enough shot that I haven't needed it for that purpose. Not my fault that the side arm has been more useful to dispatch bad guys coming into camp either...

Howdy Bushmaster: I did notice your initial comments but I wasn't sure whether that was an actual case or that you carried in anticipation of dispatching a wounded animal. For the sake of discussion, let's presume the latter as that is the rationale of many that carry a handgun when hunting game with a rifle.

Why would a handgun be any more effective in that scenario than simply shooting the animal again with the rifle?
roklok

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 9:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Do You Carry a Handgun when hunting with a Rifle? Reply with quote

Always have a handgun or two with me, hunting or not. If I am hunting with a handgun I have a second handgun with me. Hunting here in Alaska I generally carry two handguns even with a rifle. Call me paranoid, but I have read enough bear stories where guns have gotten knocked out of reach. I have been carrying a Redhawk in a shoulder holster loaded with 330 grain Garrett hammerheads and a S&W 640 .357 in a inside the pants holster loaded with 180 grain hard cast bullets.
Bushmaster

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 8:34 am    Post subject: Re: Do You Carry a Handgun when hunting with a Rifle? Reply with quote

Handloader...This didn't happen to me, but...One of my hunting partners shot a 4 point (10 point for you eastern and southern hunters). He said it looked like a clean kill from left side through and through to the right side lung and heart shot (blood everywhere). He layed his rifle down and approached the deer with his knife. The deer started to get up...too far from his rifle to dispatch it so he used a handgun. Job done...Myself...I would and still do, approach the deer with rifle at the ready and give the deer a swift kick. If it moves shoot it again.. But I will still carry the handgun with my rifle. Handloader...Do you start a trip without your spare tire?

By The Way Handloader....Do you carry a handgun when hunting with a rifle. If you do not. Why? And if you do. Why?

1895ss

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 2:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Do You Carry a Handgun when hunting with a Rifle? Reply with quote

I wish I could carry a hand gun while hunting............ for no particular reason, but just for the freedom of being able to!!! Count your lucky stars gents........... and carry, whether you need it or not...... !!!!!!!

Handloader

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 10:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Do You Carry a Handgun when hunting with a Rifle? Reply with quote

Bushmaster wrote:
. . . .

By The Way Handloader....Do you carry a handgun when hunting with a rifle. If you do not. Why? And if you do. Why?

Pure bait, Bushmaster, but, I just can't help it:

The carry of a sidearm when hunting with a rifle is situational. There are some circumstances where it is prudent to carry a sidearm, yet, IMO, the vast majority of times it is inappropriate.

Most rifles cartridges exceed the power of commonly carried handguns by a significant margin. IOW, there are few things afield that a handgun could do that couldn't be done far better with a centerfire rifle, at least where I have hunted. As an elk guide for eight years and an avid hunter in the western states for big game for over four decades, I have never seen a situation where a handgun carried in conjunction with a high power rifle was ever needed or used. What I have seen is a lot of speculation and anticipation of scenarios wherein a handgun could come to the rescue, both the product of inexprience or overactive imaginations. I don't know of any guides that carry both rifles and handguns in the field, except this one old alcoholic that was afflicted with borderline dementia.

OTOH, when riding or when going back to a kill to pack out hides and meat (mules or on foot), I always have a handgun. In two cases I have had to use it, both when black bears were on a recent kill, wouldn't depart and became overly aggressive. Too, around camp with the rifles retired, most everyone with whom I hunt carrys a handgun, myself included.

The extra weight of a handgun is not something I enjoy, being a fledgling minimalist. When solo backpack hunting, I go to some extremes to pare weight in everything I carry as I may be climbing/descending some rather steep, lofty and inaccessible areas. This type of hunting has rather limited appeal for many, admittedly.

I have guided clients that enjoy carrying a handgun when hunting with a rifle and, honestly, I have no problem with that. As they return over successive years though, I notice that the handgun goes away about the second or third year along with a host of other items. This, IMO, represents a maturing of sorts and a refinement of equipment.

My inquiry, however, is not to disparage other's chioces in the matter, rather to listen to responses and evaluate my own opinions. So far, nothing has been posted to alter my view, but, I look foward to a few more contributors to this thread before it dies.
Handloader

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 10:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Do You Carry a Handgun when hunting with a Rifle? Reply with quote

Bushmaster wrote:
Handloader...Do you start a trip without your spare tire?

Cute, Bushy. But, a fair question. Most times when the truck is taken there are two spare tires. But, I don't carry them all day on my hip. Too, when using a mule, I don't carry a spare horseshoe. Or anvil. In fact, with my mule, Brownie, I don't even use a bridle, but, that's another subject.
Dimitri

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 10:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Do You Carry a Handgun when hunting with a Rifle? Reply with quote

Handloader wrote:
When solo backpack hunting, I go to some extremes to pare weight in everything I carry as I may be climbing/descending some rather steep, lofty and inaccessible areas. This type of hunting has rather limited appeal for many, admittedly.

If you have the time can you shoot me a PM with the different items you carry while hunting alone ?? Smile

Dimitri

Bushmaster

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 8:56 am    Post subject: Re: Do You Carry a Handgun when hunting with a Rifle? Reply with quote

Well said Handloader...As I have carried a handgun and a rifle when hunting for most of my life I will continue to do so. (Was I baiting you? Naw...Me? Never. I wouldn't do that...). As I have said. I have had little use for it when afield, but it has come in very handy a few times in camp. When afield the weight of the handgun poses little problem, as like you, I carry very little when tramping (I'm a still hunter and tracker) around the mountains. I rarely have a canteen as water is plentiful where I hunt. So therefore I have room for a sidearm. What I carry with me away from camp is my Buck Personal, some strong cord (6 to 10 feet), sidearm loaded plus 6 rounds, My rifle loaded plus 8 rounds, and a pocket full of non-melting food bars and peanuts. This will serve me for a full day from early morning to late evening. Then return to camp for dinner, friends and something to cut the dust after the rifles have been unloaded, inspected and stowed.

moose2

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 9:04 am    Post subject: Re: Do You Carry a Handgun when hunting with a Rifle? Reply with quote

I carried a handgun years ago when hunting. Never had any call to use it so quit packing it. Was nice not packing around that extra weight.--tr

Bushmaster

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 9:05 am    Post subject: Re: Do You Carry a Handgun when hunting with a Rifle? Reply with quote

I have one of those...Only mine's a horse that follows me without a lead rope. I have a deal with my farier. If a shoe comes off he will helo in to reset it (RIGHT...Like that'll happen). He does set them with all 8 nails though...

fireball 3

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 12:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Do You Carry a Handgun when hunting with a Rifle? Reply with quote

Myself, I don't carry a handgun as I don't own any. Like bushy says Ca sucks when it comes to handguns. I would'nt mind carrying one, cause at times it would be handy. Dave Hiding

cdw338
Rookie Member
Rookie Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 1:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Do You Carry a Handgun when hunting with a Rifle? Reply with quote

I use to carry a handgun while hunting. I started with a Smith 4" Mod 19,
then went to a Ruger Redhawk in 44 Mag. I now carry, if I carry one, a 38 Spec Lady smith.

The older I got, the more troule they were to carry.

The only time I have used one while hunting was hog hunting. Shot a large sow and thought I had misses it. Went to look and when I went through some brush, there she was coming back at me. I pulled the Mod 19 and
fired, hit her in the neck and she went down where she was. I did use the
19 once when I stepped in between two copper heads, that was the primary
reason for carrying it.

I could have used the rifle, but she was to close.

I have used a contender in 35 Rem to hunt with, and have carried the
Ruger 44 redhawk in Colarado while hunting.

At my age now, I do not like the extra weight of the heavy pistols.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » Big Game Hunting
Page 3 of 7