Albums: 308
 Pictures: 2452
  · Views: 824167
  · Votes: 1316
  · Comments: 86

How many squirrel hunters?
Small Game hunting related discussion
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » Small Game Hunting

View previous topic :: View next topic  
squirrelbait

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 7:54 am    Post subject: Re: How many squirrel hunters? Reply with quote

Sorry for the delay. I just came on board. I grew up squirrel hunting.
It's kinda like someone already said........getting back to your roots. The gray squirrels in New Hampshire aren't half the size of the big reds I grew up with in Iowa though.
I great way to get the kids started in hunting. I've already told the kids they will be wheeling me into the woods someday as long as I can still hold the rifle.
Crackshot

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 2:32 pm    Post subject: Re: How many squirrel hunters? Reply with quote

Squirrel hunting survives in Michigan, love to hunt them, love to eat them,HATE skinning the little SOB's.
Any one know easy way to skin Squirrel?
View user's profile ICQ Number AIM Address MSN Messenger Yahoo Messenger Photo Gallery
7mmREMMAG

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 9:50 pm    Post subject: Re: How many squirrel hunters? Reply with quote

Love huntin and eatin my tree rat and dumplins here in georgia........ Shooting

Flint54

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 10:06 pm    Post subject: Re: How many squirrel hunters? Reply with quote

Cool I've fount the easiest way to skin and clean the lil tree rats is to do it while they are still warm. Cut the skin at the back of the neck and turn it inside out, you will have to work it with your fingers under the skin. After the skin is off then and only then gut the critter, takes me about 2 - 3 minutes when warm and about 5 - 10 after they get cold, plus a lot more effort. I also suggest that you carry some heavy duty zip-loc bags to put them in once cleaned. I also save the tails for my cats, they go nuts with them. Cool
Crackshot

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 7:03 am    Post subject: Re: How many squirrel hunters? Reply with quote

Flint, Do you hunt with small caliber flint lock for Tree rat? I have a japanese made, Dixie gun works Tennesse long rifle in .32 cal I like to use, Not very good, but I use just the same, If I'm real hungry I'll use my Marlin Mod 39. If I'm starvin I'll use Remington 1100.
View user's profile ICQ Number AIM Address MSN Messenger Yahoo Messenger Photo Gallery
Spacedone

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 1:44 pm    Post subject: Re: How many squirrel hunters? Reply with quote

anyone who considers rabbits or squirrels vermin have never went hungry.

not only do they sharpen the hunting eye they also feed the stomach and the soul.

if your not eating what your killing you have no right in the woods in the first place.
Crackshot

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 4:11 pm    Post subject: Re: How many squirrel hunters? Reply with quote

I dont know who you are talking to Spacedone, But I have been hungry before, thats why I hunt, MEAT!
We(me and my children) all Hunt for FOOD, not blood or trophies, thats more than I can say for 2/3's of the other hunters you read about or see on TV.
Spacedone

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 4:51 pm    Post subject: Re: How many squirrel hunters? Reply with quote

i was making a general post to the people making the vermin comments.

it upsets me from my early hunting upbringing to kill anything im not going to eat.

in my area people shoot groundhogs and leave them on fense posts. people shoot rabbits and squirrels and let them lay where they fall.
people shoot deer and take the head and tenderloins and let the rest rot in my 40 acres.
people kill foxes and let them lay.

speaking generaly comments like vermin is the main reason property owners refuse to let people hunt on them.
unthinking comments means unthinking actions.

guns are not toys they are either weapons of self defense or tools to aquire food.

shooting vermin is not hunting or a sport. actual vermin need to be removed if they cause issues but just killing to say you killed makes all hunters look bad.

this post is not directed at anyone. it is just my opinion as a lifetime hunter and property owner about these kinds of issues.
7mmREMMAG

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 5:14 pm    Post subject: Re: How many squirrel hunters? Reply with quote

Nobody called them vermin i called them tree rats (it what we call them here in Georgia) If you noticed i did say i like eating my tree rat and dumplings. Didnt say i like to shoot them and let them lay around anywhere but in my pot of dumplings. And Flint54 was talking about the best way to skin one. I think to eat it you gotta skin it! Fur dosent taste to good. I Assume sence me and fint54 called them tree rats thats where the vermin comments from spacedone came from

Crackshot

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 5:48 am    Post subject: Re: How many squirrel hunters? Reply with quote

Well...ok I am sorry for getting alittle snipity. I got into an argument about the ethics of hunting with my wifes uncle about 10 years ago and ever since i get alittle defencive of people who critisize my ethics, or people who APPEAR to critisize.
BLASERMAN

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 6:46 pm    Post subject: Re: How many squirrel hunters? Reply with quote

I had been watching these squirles at work.two of the biggest I have ever seen . Always in the dumpster.We have a pellet rifle at work well , the male has fangs his teeth are about an inch long. he weighs about 3-4 pounds-- a gray squirle , not a demarva fox they are huge. will send pictures when he is done.
Flint54

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 12:34 am    Post subject: Re: How many squirrel hunters? Reply with quote

Shocked Actually the only muzzleloader I've used for squirrel hunting has been my .54 Flintlock. It is my most accurate and with 70gr FFFg I can shoot one hole groups rested out to 50 yards. I actually used it the first time to see if someone could actually "Bark" a squirrel. Shocked Yes you can! Very Happy Just wait for them to get onto a branch and shoot the branch right under their chest, ball hits branch, splinters and bark are forcefully propelled into the chest of the squirrel, squirrel flys up straight off the branch (usually spinning very fast) then falls to the ground. Cool Squirrel is very dead without any hole in it, the chest is usually crushed and the skull shattered. If you shoot a bit too low no harm comes to the squirrel, too high and its usually split into two pieces. It makes for a fun day in the woods. Very Happy Cool
Crackshot

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 5:16 am    Post subject: Re: How many squirrel hunters? Reply with quote

I have a Japan made 32cal Tennessee Rifle I got from Dixie Gun Works some time ago that works very well for the Barking of Squirrels as well. Lots of fun and not alot of powder burned up doing it.

squirrelbait

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 6:53 am    Post subject: Re: How many squirrel hunters? Reply with quote

So, Flint54, I like your approach. Suppose I could get the same results using my handi-dandy GP100 and slow moving 38 loads? Out to 40yds or so I believe I can keep the accuracy.
Shomebigbores

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 11:39 pm    Post subject: Re: How many squirrel hunters? Reply with quote

I learned to hunt by still hunting squirrel on our Missouri farm. My dad started me with a single shot .22 Savage. I got 5 longs and he expected a squirrel for each round.

I thought my dad was cruel, but the lessons learned by picking your shot in the Ozarks were invaluable for later in life.

Squirrel is good eating, fried, baked with sweet potatoes or squash, and with dumplings too.

We were not wealthy, so hunting was more of a necessary past time. We were taught to never waste anything. If we couldn't eat it, the hogs would.

Walt Confused

One ought never to turn one's back on a threatened danger and try to run away from it. If you do that, you will double the danger. But if you meet it promptly and without flinching, you will reduce the danger by half.
Sir Winston Churchill
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » Small Game Hunting
Page 2 of 3