Albums: 308
 Pictures: 2451
  · Views: 820725
  · Votes: 1316
  · Comments: 86

Feral Cats
By Popular Demand: Discussions related to Varmint Hunting
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » Varmint Hunting

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bushmaster

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 10:45 am    Post subject: Re: Feral Cats Reply with quote

Sounds like aTexas joke... Very Happy

DEMOCRACY Two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for lunch...
LIBERTY A well armed sheep contesting the outcome of the vote...
Morax

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 10:52 am    Post subject: Re: Feral Cats Reply with quote

on the flip side i have heard of folks using a live trap, "finding a kitty" and then using it for a live caller for the yotes to hone in on, with them in the cage, moving around and yowling....
OntheLasGallinas

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 1:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Feral Cats Reply with quote

You can use a feral tom cat to train young hounds to hunt bobcats and mountain lions.

Put them in a sack, shake the sack around for a few seconds, then turn him loose while holding the dogs. After he gets a few yards running start, turn the pups loose. That's lots of fun, for everyone but the cat.

Crackshot

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 2:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Feral Cats Reply with quote

Haha

1895ss

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 3:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Feral Cats Reply with quote

OntheLasGallinas wrote:
You can use a feral tom cat to train young hounds to hunt bobcats and mountain lions.

Put them in a sack, shake the sack around for a few seconds, then turn him loose while holding the dogs. After he gets a few yards running start, turn the pups loose. That's lots of fun, for everyone but the cat.

Sounds like some people have way too much fun. I'd love to join in........... Very Happy

Elvis

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 4:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Feral Cats Reply with quote

cats caught in a cage trap can be dropped accidental like into a pool of water or farm trough while you go have a cuppa when you come back. oops I better bury it its not looking too good. When Im out in the bush cats stoats ferrits all get the same treatment. if Im not on fresh deer sign the get it with anything Ive got a wee stoat looks pretty small in the scope but the .270 takes no prisoners...

Vince
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 8:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Feral Cats Reply with quote

OntheLasGallinas wrote:

Hey Cary....you sound as crazy as my Dad. Before he died, he used to grow orchids in Sydney...not just any old orchid, but show quality orchids... beautiful they were.

Anywayz, he had a problem with cats getting into the fern house at night and knocking things over and generally messing things up, soooooo, he kept a pillow slip, a sheet of very coarse garnet paper and a bottle of methylated spirits just inside the door. First thing in the morning h'd go into the fern house and hot house, shut the door and check for cats. If'n he found one, then into the pillowslip it went, wtf Confused he'd reach in and grab it by the tail, Mad pull its rear end to the top of the pillow slip, Mad "paper" it furiously with the garnet paper, Shocked Shocked pour some metho onto it, Shocked Shocked Jaw Drop then drop it outside the door. Evil or Very Mad burr Evil or Very Mad scared scared Have ya ever seen a cat run with it back legs over its ears... Point Point Point Laughing Laughing ROFL Haha

Cheers, Vince

Illegitimi non carborundum
(Never let the bastards grind you down)

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.

"Nulla Si Fa Senza Volonta."
(Without Commitment, Nothing Gets Done)
OntheLasGallinas

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 5:45 am    Post subject: Re: Feral Cats Reply with quote

Vince,

I've never seen one run like that, but I'd sure like to. That'd be better than watching cartoons! The old timers use to talk about rubbin’ a cat's but with a rock, then rubbing some turpentine on it, then watching them run. I guess it has the same affect. I know it sounds cruel, but the next alternative to getting rid of them is with a bullet.

I've read articles about feral cats doing lots of damage to the quail and rabbit populations in Texas. I'd rather have the quail and rabbits than the wild cats running around in the woods. They taste a lot better! Remember, no self respecting buzzard will eat a dead cat.

Cary

Cary

TRBLSHTR

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 11:06 am    Post subject: Re: Feral Cats Reply with quote

wtf I live in a rural area where the city folks like to drop off their unwanted "fluffy kitties" because they do'nt have the heart to do the "right thing".The other side is a bunch of people living around the area are ex city dwellers that have moved to the"country" and they figure that they need kitties for company,the problem is that they have no idea how many natural game birds that their little fuzzy kitties destroy.I go on my patrols around around my property-checking fences,down trees,etc.,check on my horses,and usually terminate 1-2 "kitties" per month.I know the humane society,or as I call them-"the militant lesbians"tend to frown on such cruelty(unless one of their "doctors"administers lethal injection)I think that my injection (223 bullet @3800fps)is much quicker and just as painless.
Just last night I heard the local coyote family howling within a hundred yards of the house-I will leave them alone to take care of the "night kitty hunting"till the pelts get more prime in the colder weather.Then it is coyote season. Very Happy

Vince
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 7:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Feral Cats Reply with quote

Feral cats cause total devastation to the environment. You guys in the US have a natural population of native cats of varying sizes so, to an extent, the rest of the native fauna are on the menu for these native predators and have natural defences against the cats.

Out here in Australia, we have no such native predator. Consequently, our native animals have no natural built in defences against the cat.

A cat in the bush is feral, and what they do to our native fauna population is terrible. We have had a number of species that have been bought to the brink of extinction by these voracious hunters.

Feral cats....must be destroyed at every sighting, and as for the "the militant lesbians" getting all upset about it...SO SAD, TOO BAD !!! In fact, every one of them should be skull dragged out into the bush where they can see the devastation caused by these mongrel animals...then maybe we will have taken a step in the right direction of ridding the environment of feral cats.

Cheers, Vince

Bushmaster

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 8:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Feral Cats Reply with quote

A bit wrong Vince. Domestic cats are not indiginous to the North American continent. They came over on early sailing ships as mousers aboard those ships and took shore leave when they got here. The farel cats are some what devistating to the native birds here...Not to mention disease carriers...

Vince
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 8:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Feral Cats Reply with quote

Sorry mate...maybe I should have been a little more precise. I understand that the domestic cat isn't native to the US...and I don't doubt for a minute that they have caused the same devastation there as here.

What I was trying to say is that you guys have native cats there and the native fauna would have developed and learned natural defences to them over generations. We have no native predatory cats in Australia, hence the ease at which feral cats are able to destroy the native fauna.

Cheers, Vince

Bushmaster

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 8:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Feral Cats Reply with quote

As you know, Vince...Farel cats are domestic cats gone wild. We don't have any cats in that part of the food chain that hunts little song birds except the farel cats. Our native cats are Bob Cats and larger up to the Cougar...

Vince
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 8:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Feral Cats Reply with quote

Oh..ok mate. I always thought that the Bob Cat was only a little bigger than a domestic cat...well, I guess its true...you do learn something new everyday.

Isn't there a smaller native cat in the US as well? Maybe I need to do some study to get myself up to speed with these things.

Laughing

Cheers, Vince

TRBLSHTR

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 9:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Feral Cats Reply with quote

Smile Vince-are'nt there any dingos in the area?They would be to cats there what our coyotes are to cats here.Maybe I'm thinking about some other part of Australia. Confused

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » Varmint Hunting
Page 3 of 8