Albums: 308
 Pictures: 2451
  · Views: 820622
  · Votes: 1316
  · Comments: 86

RAINdeerRAINdeer
Big Game Hunting topics that dont fit other categories
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » Big Game Hunting

View previous topic :: View next topic  
stovepipe

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 11:48 am    Post subject: Re: RAINdeerRAINdeer Reply with quote

exactly- there was a minimum lentgh, then a mid lentgh for no-keep then a longer lentgh for keep and a max lentgh...or some such. i think there were 3 sizes for keep and the rest were release...if memory serves.
stovepipe

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 11:50 am    Post subject: nice pic!!! Reply with quote

Bushmaster wrote:
Suz...Here's what Elvis is discribing. This works well. It gives you almost instant rifle to shoulder when you grab the forearm and pull it forward. The rifle will swing right up with a bit of practice. It does have one draw back. You have to watch that you don't ground the muzzle into the dirt or rocks. You will note that I have the wide end of my sling at the butt stock of the rifle.

He is a handsome dude ain't he? ROFL

James Coburn's long-lost twin-brother! Shocked
Bushmaster

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:30 pm    Post subject: Re: RAINdeerRAINdeer Reply with quote

Speaking of old and can't keep up. Where were you? that was posted a while ago...Come on...Keep up with the program!!

DEMOCRACY Two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for lunch...
LIBERTY A well armed sheep contesting the outcome of the vote...
stovepipe

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 4:22 pm    Post subject: Re: RAINdeerRAINdeer Reply with quote

hahaha- yeh, menat to post that a while ago but...ya know. Too many head-shots, they start to add up after a while... Laughing
Pumpkinslinger

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 6:11 pm    Post subject: Re: RAINdeerRAINdeer Reply with quote

I got curious about the sturgeon size thing so I looked on WA's wildlife dept web site. To keep them there is a minimum length of 38" and maximum of 54". wdfw.wa.gov/publicatio...w00957.pdf

Do they call that a "notch" or something like that? A friend tells me that NC does the same with red drum.

"I ain't no better than anybody else, and there ain't nobody better than me!" Ma Kettle
Suzanne

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 11:14 am    Post subject: Re: RAINdeerRAINdeer Reply with quote

Yeah, the same size here in Or. they call it a slot. You through back all that are over or under. You can only fish for keepers on Thurs. Fri. Sat., some places you can use fresh bait, other places you can only use artificial lures. I went out yesterday with my Daddy and we got skunked. I didn't get a fishing license at the beginning of the year, so I got a one day license that includes a salmon tag and sturgeon for $16. If I went for a yearly license and then bought the tag required the prices is like $50+. Next year......well after spending for the hunting license and tags for 2 deer I didn't want to spend more for fishing, maybe next year I"ll do that....have to re-new my boat tag too. "Jon!! Go to the bank!! Wear a mask!!" That guy.....doesn't own a darned thing I wanna play with....

wonder if he
has any kids
I could sell
Suz

Pumpkinslinger

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 11:57 am    Post subject: Re: RAINdeerRAINdeer Reply with quote

'Slot"! That's it, thanks Suz.

Finally had time to get my hunting license yesterday. Muzzle loader started yesterday too. Now if I can just get time, and a place, to hunt.

"I ain't no better than anybody else, and there ain't nobody better than me!" Ma Kettle
Suzanne

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 8:42 pm    Post subject: Re: RAINdeerRAINdeer Reply with quote

How come deer season starts so early here? You guys are just starting to get to the woods and mine is all over. Bucks were no where near rut either. Well....they weren't even visible!! Good luck to you Pumpkinson and everybody else on their way out. I did hunt in some nasty weather but it was wonderful to be out, and I'm sure I left some fat behind.

Speaking of fat behind...I found some high density foam, like you get as a ground cover when camping on the ground, and cut a piece to sit on. It works great to keep your arse off the cold rock, wet log or bare ground and absorbs the roughness of what ever your sitting on. Put that in your day pack and you can kneel on it too, it's also very light weight.

I finally bought a new poncho and am very pleased with it. Bought it from [url=wiggys.com]Wiggys[/url] $25 and no shipping charges. I don't recall but somebody on here might have told me about them. It's in digital camo and has snaps but no grommets. You could still make a small tipi out of it though. Injuns and tipis yeah!!

Suz

Pumpkinslinger

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 8:53 pm    Post subject: Re: RAINdeerRAINdeer Reply with quote

Suz, our deer bow season started in Sept. Then muzzle loader for two weeks and "gun" starts the 20th and runs through Jan. 1. I figured out long ago that there is no accounting for how different states set their seasons or write their regulations.

Vince
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:27 pm    Post subject: Re: RAINdeerRAINdeer Reply with quote

Maybe it has something to do with migrations Mike. Not sure how that works over there, but I would imagine that the deer move from area to area during the different seasons.

Barring that....its just pure and simply Govt kafuffle. Very Happy Laughing

Cheers, Vince

Illegitimi non carborundum
(Never let the bastards grind you down)

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.

"Nulla Si Fa Senza Volonta."
(Without Commitment, Nothing Gets Done)
Pumpkinslinger

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 12:00 am    Post subject: Re: RAINdeerRAINdeer Reply with quote

Vince, whitetails seem to be pretty much "home-bodies", they don't roam much. But I think you're right about the govt. thing!

Suzanne

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 7:55 am    Post subject: Re: RAINdeerRAINdeer Reply with quote

Or it's the rain!! Around here the rain starts getting heavy in early winter and, oh I dunno.....it's always raining...might have to do with logging, I'm basically hunting on a tree farm.....they don't quit logging though. Most likely it's kafuffle.....yeah that's it. Spell checker says it's spelled wrong.... Very Happy

Bow season starts here on August 28-26 Sept.
General deer starts Oct. 2-5 Nov.
Elk starts Oct. 16-26 Nov.

Suz

Vince
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 9:01 pm    Post subject: Re: RAINdeerRAINdeer Reply with quote

Well Suz...good luck with your hunting for the remainder of the year mate.

I got me fingers crossed fer ya, and anything else I can cross as well. Can't have our favourite girlie Nut miss out...just not on mate.

Cheers, Vince

Suzanne

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 9:42 pm    Post subject: Re: RAINdeerRAINdeer Reply with quote

Thanks VincePrince but I've seen my last jaunt into the woods for the year, far as hunting goes. I might try out more fishing though. My Dad and I are just getting started on that. The river has turned muddy because of rain but the salmon and steelhead are still on the move. We're targeting sturgeon right now. I have a new gun to try out also. I bought a Mosin Nagant, never really wanted one, I think they're ugly, but this one has a very low serial number like 175 (or thereabouts) and I thought it might be a good buy. Got some ammo and scope mounted to it, just have to get out there and try it out. The stock looks new and the metal looks good, very shiny bore, it should be fun to play with. I'll accept your crossed digits on the gun not maiming me, it looks safe, but it's an oldie.

I'm lookin at Garands also, right now the CMP has lots of them for sale. My goin-into-debt-for-Christmas season has arrived!! I wanted to get a M1 Carbine first, but can't find any for a decent price. The last gun show a few weeks ago had a couple, they were way over priced and beat up. I don't think the CMP has had any for years.

Suz

Vince
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:19 am    Post subject: Re: RAINdeerRAINdeer Reply with quote

Well...in that case Suz...good luck with the fishing mate, and watch out for them big monster sturgeon. You is only a little girl...I can see the headline now...

"Small woman seen barefoot skiing down local river, screaming and holding on for dear life to a fishing rod "

Confused wtf Shocked Very Happy Very Happy Laughing Laughing

Cheers, Vince

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » Big Game Hunting
Page 9 of 9