· Views: 820725
  · Votes: 1316
  · Comments: 86

Big Bore ARs!
Discussions related to Guns and Firearms
Go to page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
slimjim

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 7:20 pm    Post subject: Big Bore ARs! Reply with quote

I've been trying to learn more lately about the big bore ARs,

.450 Bushmaster "Thumper"
.458 SOCOM
.50 Beowulf

I couldn't find a picture of all three cartridges together so spliced two together to understand them more. I'm kind of leaning toward the .450 B because I can get it in a chrome-lined barrel and I really liking what Hornady has been doing lately.

Here is a link on the last two.

www.quarry.nildram.co....igbore.htm

ar big bores .450 bushmaster .223 .458 socom .500 beowulf .499lwr.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  153.75 KB
 Viewed:  13863 Time(s)

ar big bores .450 bushmaster  .223  .458 socom  .500 beowulf  .499lwr.jpg

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it." - Albert Einstein
cbsweeney

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 6:08 am    Post subject: Re: Big Bore ARs! Reply with quote

You got me thinking about this again. Smile I had considered a big bore upper a couple years ago when I bought an AR in 223. After reading all I could find on them, I settled on the 450 Bushmaster. At the time, it seemed to me that ammo, and brass for reloading was a little more available, not that there was a shortage of the others, just more choices. The cost of ammo for all of them is a bit steep, but the 450 seemed to be the least expensive. Col. Jeff Cooper had a hand in devoloping it, and that was enough for me. The price of a 450 Bushmaster upper at the time was around $700, so the idea took a back seat for a while. Building your own sounds like a good idea,but can I save money doing it? I've heard the uppers have been on sale a couple of times for around $500. I guess it's time for me to revisit the idea.

slimjim

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 5:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Big Bore ARs! Reply with quote

cbsweeney wrote:
The price of a 450 Bushmaster upper at the time was around $700, ... I've heard the uppers have been on sale a couple of times for around $500.

Cabela's had then on sale earlier this month for $699. If you ever see them for below $600 knock me up side the head to make sure I get one.

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it." - Albert Einstein
Grumulkin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 6:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Big Bore ARs! Reply with quote

I have a Rock River Arms 458 SOCOM upper I'm quite pleased with.

Stainless barrels I like. I don't really think I would want a chrome lined one as I've heard, and it seems logical, that the accuracy potential is less.
slimjim

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 7:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Big Bore ARs! Reply with quote

I have a chrome lined 5.56/M4. It shots well and rarely needs cleaning. I put 600 rounds through it and it was barely dirty and essentially no copper fouling. Others have told me that you can go 2500+ rounds between cleanings. Accuracy-wize, My AR with its thin barrel shots 1 MOA. I wouldn't be surprised if a chrome lined in a match barrel would reduce accuracy potential. In the .450 Bushmaster it doesn't seem to cause a problem. Owners are reporting amazing accuracy and 1/2 MOA is not uncommon, clover leaf at 100 yards and 1-inch groups at 200 yards. I like not having to be concerned with cleaning a barrel and if I can get that accuracy, that's even better.

What have you hunted with your .458 SOCOM? I've read that they have great knock-down power.

Pumpkinslinger

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 8:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Big Bore ARs! Reply with quote

After reading Slim's link I'd lean even more toward the .458 SOCOM. Aside from having a wide range of available bullets it uses unmodified AR-15 magazines. The others seem to require modified mags.

"I ain't no better than anybody else, and there ain't nobody better than me!" Ma Kettle
slimjim

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 5:15 am    Post subject: Re: Big Bore ARs! Reply with quote

.458 SOCOM has the best bullet selection by far. Brass seems to be a toss-up. .450 B is made by Hornady and .458 by Starline, both quality products.

I need to learn more abou the magazines. I use all MagPul and I don't think the .458 fits them, just the standard steel-walled AR mags. Supposedly, the only change to fit the .450 B is to switch the follower which only costs a couple bucks.

The .450 B is supposed to have more down-range energy. I will need to do some research on this aspect.

cbsweeney

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 6:05 am    Post subject: Re: Big Bore ARs! Reply with quote

Quote::
If you ever see them for below $600 knock me up side the head to make sure I get one.

We have to keep an eye on the Bushmaster website, I read on AR15Armory.com that in March they were selling .450 uppers for $499.

slimjim

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 7:09 am    Post subject: Re: Big Bore ARs! Reply with quote

The are $795 now. Boy, $499 was a real sale!! I read on the forum with it took several months for Bushmaster to catch up because there response to the sale was so strong. Maybe we will get luck and catch the next one.

cbs, do you want the 20" or 16" version? I haven't noticed a big velocity difference between the two in the data I've seen so far. The 16" would be nice, light, and compact.

cbsweeney

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 8:39 am    Post subject: Re: Big Bore ARs! Reply with quote

I like the 16" barrel. One of the 'Ole timers that hunts with us uses an old Ruger Deerfield carbine in .44 Mag. with an 18" barrel and it knocks 'em dead out to 100 yds. I used it once or twice, and there is a lot to be said for a short, light gun when your walking the hills. During gun season, I dont spend much time in the tree stand. I'll probably go with the 16".

slimjim

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 7:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Big Bore ARs! Reply with quote

cbsweeney wrote:
I'll probably go with the 16".

Agree. I think the 20" will have a bit softer kick to it.

slimjim

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 6:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Big Bore ARs! Reply with quote

Crackshot wrote:
I had both the 450 THUMPER and the 458 SOCOM and now only have the 458 SOCOM. I love the thing. The fact that you can use the 458" bullets makes it down right awsome. The 451" for the Bushmaster limited its over all usefullness.

Crackshot, the aspects that make me lean toward the Thumper are:

- slightly more downrange energy
- better accuracy
- Bushmaster makes it in a chrome-lined barrel which I like for cleaning or lack there of.
- Everything I've tried lately that was Hornady has worked great.
- I think bullet variety will improve with time

What was your experience with accuracy between the two cartridges? I read on the net where 1-inch or better at 100 yards is common with the Thumper.

slimjim

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Big Bore ARs! Reply with quote

cbsweeney wrote:
Quote::
If you ever see them for below $600 knock me up side the head to make sure I get one.

We have to keep an eye on the Bushmaster website, I read on AR15Armory.com that in March they were selling .450 uppers for $499.

Well, Cabela's just but them on sale for $699. Plus I have a $100 off coupon or could take the 20% back offer. Tempting!!! But will Rock River have them on sale again for $499?

cbsweeney

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 7:58 am    Post subject: Re: Big Bore ARs! Reply with quote

Slimjim, thats a pretty good deal. With 20% off you would pay $560! I have a couple of coupons from Cabelas that I need to look at. I would certainly consider it at that price.

slimjim

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 10:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Big Bore ARs! Reply with quote

MidwayUSA has them on sale for $599! I betting they will be on sale again after Christmas for $499. Smile

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » Gun & Firearm Discussions
Page 1 of 2