Albums: 308
 Pictures: 2451
  · Views: 820725
  · Votes: 1316
  · Comments: 86

Best gun for Wabbits?
Small Game hunting related discussion
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » Small Game Hunting

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DallanC
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 2:33 pm    Post subject: Best gun for Wabbits? Reply with quote

So what is the BEST Wabbit gun anyway? Elmer liked the Blunderbus, what are the current favorites?

Hard to beat a good old .22 semi when chasing Jackrabbits but for cotton tails I tend to lean more in favor of a double barrel .410, it seems to do the job and not turn them into floating balls of hair.

22-250's at long range is also a blast but hard to find an area where you can really see much from a single location.

For my big deer hunt this fall, I'm taking my .22 and my .17HMR... I found a canyon that is absolutely infested with cottontails... I dont mean seeing 3 or 4 run out of a bush... but seriously like 15 or 20. I jumped around 23 from a *single* 10ft diameter bush when I was out there scouting. Alot of'em would sit up about 40-50 yards away making for an ideal plinking spot with the .17.

What do you guys prefer?

-DallanC

Last edited by DallanC on Mon Sep 26, 2005 4:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
popgun

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 3:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Best gun for Wabbits? Reply with quote

You know Elmer. He would use a big gun on the USS Alabama if he could get ammo for it. Laughing

I favor the .410 and 22 LR myself. In fact my ole Stephens 22/410 is my favorite rabbit and squirel gun.

My last trip to Texas I spied a few Jack Wabbits and it's true that Elmer would need a 14" gun to knock one of those down. They would laugh at my .410 Exclamation
View user's profile ICQ Number AIM Address MSN Messenger Yahoo Messenger Photo Gallery
longwalker

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 4:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Best gun for Wabbits? Reply with quote

It's funny, I really never got the 22/rabbit thing figured out. When I went rabbit hunting I used my 12 ga. and loaded up with target loads. If I had had a 20 or 410 they would have been just as good or better, but then was then and now is now. Shotgun for the longwalker.

longwalker
shrpshtrjoe
Super Red Neck Member
Super Red Neck Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Best gun for Wabbits? Reply with quote

Howdy 22 /22mag or single shot 410 depends on what i am in the mood for.

P E T A
People Eating Tasty Animals
squirrelbait

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 11:34 am    Post subject: Re: Best gun for Wabbits? Reply with quote

Always a good topic to spark a little debate.
In High School my best buddy and I went out a lot for rabbits and squirrels...well quail and pheasants too. But.............rabbit and squirrels.
Dan always brought is trusty model 1100 and I always brought my father's trusty Remington bolt action, tube magazine 22.
At the end of the day he may or may not have as many as me but at least we could eat all of mine. End of story. That's the way I see it.
sniper

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 1:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Best gun for Wabbits? Reply with quote

DallanC wrote:
So what is the BEST Wabbit gun anyway? Elmer liked the Blunderbus, what are the current favorites?
-DallanC

Well, for the little bunnies like we have here In Utah, a .22 LR is fine, but where I grew up, we had SERIOUS rabbits. Like, when the creek rose, and the big bass came into the fields to hunt small rabbits, the big 'uns would hunt the bass. Boy, there were some battles! The splashing would draw the 'gators, too, so you had to watch it. Average size would be about that of a bobcat, and TOUGH! Stringy, too. You'd pick 'em out of your teeth for days! But that's what you eat when you're po' folks.
calsibley

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 1:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Best gun for Wabbits? Reply with quote

I guess I'm not much of a sport about bunnies. I use my 12 guage and low brass 7 1/2s. I don't miss very many that way. They're funny to hunt up here because usually the snow comes before their coats have changed to white, and the little rascals realy stand out in all the whiteness. Best wishes.

Cal - Montreal Very Happy
robfromaz1977

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 2:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Best gun for Wabbits? Reply with quote

I have allways liked the plain ole .22LR for bunnies. My Marlin bolt rifle is easy to load and shoots awesome little groups. I will only shoot for head shots so I save the meat from alot of damage. The only time I shoot one somewhere else is when I have my bow. I have also taken a few with my Smith & Wesson 22S pistol. Very accurate and has never jammed.
515034s10ring

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 2:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Best gun for Wabbits? Reply with quote

I use a 22 pistol or a 28ga for da waskully wabbits.
wcandres
Rookie Member
Rookie Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 8:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Best gun for Wabbits? Reply with quote

I think my Winchester 9410 is just the ticket for thinning out the recently large population of cottontails in my area (northern Minnesota). It does the job for the snowshoe hares too!

beezer

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 9:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Best gun for Wabbits? Reply with quote

Out to 40 y'ds I use a high powered pcp air rifle beyond that 22 lr Most people here in uk are opting for 17 mach 2 or hmr for realy long shots but I can't afford one yet
Flint54

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 11:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Best gun for Wabbits? Reply with quote

Insane Shooting Pistol Shooting Sniper Flame It depends on the big Question? Eating or Eradication?? For the tender lil ones for the pot I love to use my .36 cal muzzleloader or a .22 pistol when out tromping around. If we are using a dog ya can't beat a .410, 28ga. or a 20ga. Now for the Eradication, well anything goes in my book, but a fast stepping varmint round makes the pieces more bite sized for the rest of the wildlife. Also, a .50 BMG can really toss them up in the air when you hit under them. Insane Werd
515034s10ring

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 7:01 am    Post subject: Re: Best gun for Wabbits? Reply with quote

Hey Flint54, are you the one holding a shotgun yelling PULL or are you Sniper ????
ROFL
Flint54

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 4:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Best gun for Wabbits? Reply with quote

Insane What do you mean? I do both at the same time! Laughing
Crackshot

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 10:23 am    Post subject: Re: Best gun for Wabbits? Reply with quote

Ruger MK1 22 pistol with BSA red dot.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » Small Game Hunting
Page 1 of 4