Albums: 308
 Pictures: 2451
  · Views: 820725
  · Votes: 1316
  · Comments: 86

"KNOCK" down POWER!!
Big Game Hunting topics that dont fit other categories
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » Big Game Hunting

View previous topic :: View next topic  
GroovyJack

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 5:54 am    Post subject: Re: "KNOCK" down POWER!! Reply with quote

Bag of worms we're getting into here .. I'll take my Ruger 1 with 235 Speers Hot Cors in 375 H@H loaded between 27-2800 fps and do the lung thingy and come up with less meat damage than smaller caliber hyper mags .. See no reason for a shoulder shot in most cases ..
Saw one young fella at the processor a few years back , last weekend of the season .. Shoulder shot on a young doe that mita weighed 40 pounds , 7 mag at 25 yds ..
Have nothing against the smaller calibers , but find them boring under 338 or so .. Just always enjoyed the larger ones ..
Ever get one you'll never look back

Jack

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 9:41 am    Post subject: Re: "KNOCK" down POWER!! Reply with quote

del you should test this out when it comes to stopping power on deer sized annimals- i have done extensive field testing on this subject as i too beleived that the 12gauge rifled slug would posses a great deal more stopping power than a rifle. My results were quite the opposite as soon as i started which i could not beleive but after watching numerous deer from the smallest species to the largest do an about turn and run, although mortally wounded and with almost no sighn at the shot of being hit at all these deer covered far greater distances than they would have done if hit in the same place, even by small calibres like a .222 . A young roe doe hit squarely in the shoulder at 45yds ran a good 100yds! and a fallow buck hit front on in the chest covered the same distance!
Used the last up and now stick to fast, fairly light epanding bullets on deer sized game.
DallanC
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 1:02 pm    Post subject: Re: "KNOCK" down POWER!! Reply with quote

I once read an article that stated hydrolic pressure from a high velocity bullet through the vials area can actually travel up the arterys to the brain, causing an immediate embolism. I've never really disected any brains to see if this was the case in any of my "Drop at the shot" deer.

I'll see if I cant locate the article... I think I read it back in early 2000.

-DallanC
shrpshtrjoe
Super Red Neck Member
Super Red Neck Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 1:51 pm    Post subject: Re: "KNOCK" down POWER!! Reply with quote

Howdy. I would like to read that if you can find it Dallan that sounds interesting thanks.

P E T A
People Eating Tasty Animals
DallanC
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 3:41 pm    Post subject: Re: "KNOCK" down POWER!! Reply with quote

In the mean time, if you havent seen it check out this movie of a pronghorn my wife shot while 8 months pregnant... .243 w/ factory 100grn bullets. This is pretty typical of everything I've seen shot with a rifle.

www.huntingnut.com/mov...yprong.mpg (5mb)

-DallanC
shrpshtrjoe
Super Red Neck Member
Super Red Neck Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 5:07 pm    Post subject: Re: "KNOCK" down POWER!! Reply with quote

Cool movie Dallan that 243 dropped the hammer Bonk on him thanks for showin it.

P E T A
People Eating Tasty Animals
delboy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 6:51 am    Post subject: Re: "KNOCK" down POWER!! Reply with quote

Hey Dallan, 8 months? I didn't realise the gestation period was so long on pronghorns! Fancy shooting one THAT pregnant! For shame!
I believe I recall the article to which you refer, there was a follow up a few months later in a mag I read and the consensus of opinion was that it wouldn't happen as the elasticity of arteries and veins would allow any shock wave to dissipate within a few inches - but whenever an idea is put forward there is always someone else with a rebuttal within days. I doubt anyone has done any testing on the theory in practical terms - could you imagine the outcry from all the "tree huggers"?

Vince
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 10:31 pm    Post subject: Re: "KNOCK" down POWER!! Reply with quote

Only ever shot one deer, a nice fallow buck (well of course it was nice...it was my first!) Took him in the neck about 6" behind the head with a 55gn 5.56mm at about 60m. He went down like he had been clouted with a sledgehammer between the ears. A mate and I walked over, antler each and dragged him back onto the track. Got the knife out to dress him, stuck it in and the bugger jumped up and did a runner on me....bastard. Another 55gn in the brain box from behind (my mate reckons it was a lucky shot, I claim to have planned it) bought him round to seeing things my way....he lay down again! He was still flinching whenever the knife touched him for the next couple of minutes though. Leads me to think that I didn't use enough gun. In fact I was a bit concerned that I wasn't being humane.

Bit worried about the negativity I am hearing about the .243 WIN here as it is my primary hunting calibre. Haven't taken a deer with it yet but I am beginning to think it mightn't be up to it. I load it with 70gn Hornady bullets doing around 3500fps.

Oh well, won't know for sure until I take a critter with the .243 WIN.

Anyway, head shots, neck shots or heart/lung shots....everyone to their own. I believe they all do the job, it just depends on the amount of time you have to take the shot, your confidence in shot placement, and the ability to put it where you want it, the angle and range of the shot and the ability of the bullet/calibre/load combination to do its part when it arrives.

Cheers, Vince

Illegitimi non carborundum
(Never let the bastards grind you down)

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.

"Nulla Si Fa Senza Volonta."
(Without Commitment, Nothing Gets Done)
DallanC
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 1:46 pm    Post subject: Re: "KNOCK" down POWER!! Reply with quote

Vince wrote:
Bit worried about the negativity I am hearing about the .243 WIN here as it is my primary hunting calibre. Haven't taken a deer with it yet but I am beginning to think it mightn't be up to it. I load it with 70gn Hornady bullets doing around 3500fps.

Oh well, won't know for sure until I take a critter with the .243 WIN.

Cheers, Vince

Dont use 70grn'ers in your .243 for deer. Step up to 95's or 100grn Nosler Partitions. It is AMPLE to kill deer cleanly. My wife even used it to drop a 350BC caribou. Out of all the deer shes taken with hers, plus all the antelope... not a single one ever required a second shot and most everything dropped like the pronghorn in the above movie.

I own a .243 as well and love it for pronghorn hunting (I wouldnt hesitate to use it on deer but hey, I own too many rifles and like to use each on different species Smile )

PS: My wife used some 85 grn bullets in her 243 one year (I reloaded them), she shot a deer but it looked like a bomb went off in it... shrapnel was everywhere. We stick with stouter bullets now.

-DallanC

-DallanC
Vince
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 5:10 am    Post subject: Re: "KNOCK" down POWER!! Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice Dallan. I have been using the 70gn because they were given to me and they have been excellent on rabbits (headshots of course) and kangaroos.

Will get some 95 gn Noslers and load them up for deer. Might even try them on some porkers.

Cheers, Vince

Illegitimi non carborundum
(Never let the bastards grind you down)

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.

"Nulla Si Fa Senza Volonta."
(Without Commitment, Nothing Gets Done)
sniper

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 8:09 am    Post subject: Re: "KNOCK" down POWER!! Reply with quote

DallanC wrote:
In the mean time, if you havent seen it check out this movie of a pronghorn my wife shot while 8 months pregnant... .243 w/ factory 100grn bullets. This is pretty typical of everything I've seen shot with a rifle.-DallanC

WOW! What is that thing? A death ray? What was the whistling for? Does it make them stand still? Nice looking antelope, too.
Southpaw

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 2:37 am    Post subject: Re: "KNOCK" down POWER!! Reply with quote

No one has said boo about a .303 brit. Shot my first 7-8 deer with one. The first one was thru both lungs, I was scared. I could see blood from were I was 100 yards away. The deer walked off into the bush. The blood trail was gone almost right away, until I walked about 30 yards. I came out on a well used trail that I 'am sure only the deer used. It was like a higway with bush shoulders. Thats were I found the best thing about lung shot game. The blood trail began again. And it looked like some one ran down that trail whit a pair of Red spray paint cans! Even if they do walk off a bit you still find them. The shoulders I've shot thru whith that round were not blown away to badly. You get a thumb size hole plus some blood shot meat right against the blade. As for bombers 2- .17 cal bullets work best. 1 thru each nut!!! They tend to drop right where they are!
mikekuzara

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 5:06 pm    Post subject: Re: "KNOCK" down POWER!! Reply with quote

If possible, I will go for a head shot. No meat ruined, no running away. If the range is too far or the deer are moving, etc., then typically a heart/lung shot. I know head shots are not for everyone, however, since I have three rifles that will group 3/4 inch or better at 100 yards, and the practice to make those groups from an actual hunting position, not just from a bench, I feel comfortable taking those shots.

If you can not shoot a 1 to 1 1/2 inch group from a "real" hunting position, not just from a bench, and do it consistently, do not take a head shot. I typically shoot about 50 to 100 rounds a month from offhand, prone, and sitting positions. Usually at prairie dogs with my hunting rifles. Practice is the only way to become proficiant.

Having a shooting coach that will kick your butt when you don't do your best from 12 to 18 years old will help to. Mine did and got me to a Distinguished Expert rating with the NRA. Once the basics get drilled into your head, they never leave.

mikes elk#4.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  166.34 KB
 Viewed:  8032 Time(s)

mikes elk#4.jpg

Set a man on fire and he is warm the rest of his life.
robfromaz1977

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 8:49 am    Post subject: Re: "KNOCK" down POWER!! Reply with quote

Off Topic

I HAVE NEVER PERSONALLY SHOT ANY BIG GAME IN THE HEAD. I HAVE SHOT DEER AND ELK IN THE NECK. THEY DROP LIKE A TON OF $#!+. MY FATHER SWORE BY THE HEAD OR NECK SHOT. HE ONCE SHOT A SMALL MULEY RIGHT BETWEEN THE EYES AND I HAD TO LOOK FOR A GOOD WHILE TO FIND ONE OF THE ANTLERS.
DallanC
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 9:18 am    Post subject: Re: "KNOCK" down POWER!! Reply with quote

It all depends on your skill. I've shot 1 animal in the neck. 99.999% of the time however I'll take a round through the boiler room. There really is very little meat that will get destroyed... I dont see alot of people keeping rib meat anyway.

-DallanC
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » Big Game Hunting
Page 2 of 6