No staff members are online!

Coppermine Stats
Photo Albums
 Albums: 308
 Pictures: 2451
  · Views: 820622
  · Votes: 1316
  · Comments: 86

Hunting handloads for deer.(357 magnum only)
Discussion regarding the reloading of ammunition and tuning of loads for accuracy
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » Reloading Ammunition

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bushmaster

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 2:17 pm    Post subject: Hunting handloads for deer.(357 magnum only) Reply with quote

Thought I might get in on the fun. As an avid handloader who has many firearms that have NEVER seen a factory round and FLAT enjoys still hunting (stalkin' and trackin') Blacktails in the timber and brush with a Colt SAA .357 magnum (4 3/4" barrel). I was wondering if anyone else enjoyed the same. What is your favorite hand load in .357 magnum for this noble purpose...

Mine??? Oh yeah... Winchester or Remington cases properly trimmed to 1.285". Primed with WSPM. A 140 grain Remington SJHP or a 140 grain Hornady JHP XTP. Over 15 grains of 2400. (1200 fps)

If I'm using my Ruger Blackhawk (6 1/2" barrel)...18.5 grains of W-296 and everything else the same as above. (1450 fps)

Rules...One load per handgun...And you need to have downed a deer with that handgun and load... Only .357 magnum may apply....

DEMOCRACY Two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for lunch...
LIBERTY A well armed sheep contesting the outcome of the vote...
shrpshtrjoe
Super Red Neck Member
Super Red Neck Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 3:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Hunting handloads for deer.(357 magnum only) Reply with quote

Smith Mod 686 6"bbl
16.5 grains of 2400, fed primers, 125grain Hornady XTP, in win brass. Never chronographed the load so I don't no the speed. Took one deer with it, neck shot at 25 yds and dropped it like a rock.
Joe

P E T A
People Eating Tasty Animals
Bushmaster

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 3:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Hunting handloads for deer.(357 magnum only) Reply with quote

Yeah!!! I love it!!!...Good job. Remember the range? All mine were under 30 yards...No trophies. Just good solid hits on good tastin' and tender young bucks. None went more then 50 yards before collapsing. Most fell where hit...

I have an entry in my load log for a 125 grain Remington SJHP...16 grains of 2400...CCI primed at 1180 fps from a ruger 6 1/2" barrel. .5 grains more probably gave you around 1200 to 1250 fps more, if that helps. Try W-296. It is a little faster and cleaner. Just make sure you have a good crimp...Look in the Sierra load manual edition V Second printing. But look out...Some of these are a bit hot...Work up carefully and slowly.

PaulS

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 6:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Hunting handloads for deer.(357 magnum only) Reply with quote

I thought I was the only man crazy enough to use a 140 grain bullet on deer!
Mine are Speer "Lawman" brass, 19.3 grains of H110, CCI 550 at 1464 fps as chronographed at 5 yards and corrected for muzzle velocity. Out of a six inch Ruger Security-Six.
I limit my shots to 50 yards too but the only way I can do that is hunt from a stand. I just make too much noise to hunt deer any other way with a handgun. I can do the stalk and wait process for woodland coyote and get to within 70 yards of them - close enough to take a dog but not a deer.

So and So's pages on the internet = NOT reliable loading data
Always check data against manuals
NEVER exceed maximum listed loads
Bushmaster

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 6:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Hunting handloads for deer.(357 magnum only) Reply with quote

PaulS...Why I use the 140 grain bullet? I get the advantage of both worlds...The heavier bullet and the maximum velocity possible. Giving me deeper penitration. Your reason for using the "unknown bullet"???

My chronograph readings are at 8 yards...

PaulS

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 6:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Hunting handloads for deer.(357 magnum only) Reply with quote

The 140 grain gave me the tightest groups in my gun. I shot "hunters pistol" with it and have a lot of confidence with it. It is the only round I carry - whether it is in the city or the woods. I never failed to dump a ram so I figure it was good enough for deer - if it came close enough.

So and So's pages on the internet = NOT reliable loading data
Always check data against manuals
NEVER exceed maximum listed loads
Bushmaster

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 7:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Hunting handloads for deer.(357 magnum only) Reply with quote

Few people know about the performance of the 140 grainer. I have dumped deer and feral pig with both the Remington SJHP and the Hornady JHP XTP...Both seem to have about the same performance out of both of my SAA's...

Anybody else???

Vince
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 9:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Hunting handloads for deer.(357 magnum only) Reply with quote

Bushmaster wrote:

Rules...One load per handgun...And you need to have downed a deer with that handgun and load... Only .357 magnum may apply....

Bushy, I don't meet the rules criteria (we aren't allowed to hunt with pistol where I am) so I'll contact you via other means..OUT.

Cheers, Vince

Illegitimi non carborundum
(Never let the bastards grind you down)

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.

"Nulla Si Fa Senza Volonta."
(Without Commitment, Nothing Gets Done)
Flint54

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 12:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Hunting handloads for deer.(357 magnum only) Reply with quote

Cool My favorite .357 load for Whitetails is my hardcast 180gr WFN in WW cases. I use CCI Small Rifle primers (a bit heavier cup) 13.5gr WW 296. This load has taken 4 down here in NC all within 25yards. I have only recovered 1 bullet and the rest went back to mother earth. Only one deer went very far and that was @ 50 yards. The others dropped on the spot. This load is only safe in my firearms do not use this load without reducing at least 15% and working up to your maximum. Cool
jameslee
Rookie Member
Rookie Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 1:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Hunting handloads for deer.(357 magnum only) Reply with quote

I am shooting a Colt whitetail Hunter it just love the 140gr xtp hp, with win 296 17.4grs. I have shot two deer with this load one at 22yds the other one at 35yds. Both deer drop now , hit them in the neck (lucky) great load for the 357mag.
Bushmaster

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 5:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Hunting handloads for deer.(357 magnum only) Reply with quote

Flint54 and jameslee...Are you guys using .357 magnum rifles?...Handguns please gentlemen.
And I don't mean single shot Remingtons and Thompson/Centers either. I mean real handguns like revolvers and autos chambered in .357 magnum.

By The Way I use Iron sights too. No scope here...What do you need with a scope at 50 yards or less...Ya blind???

1895ss

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 6:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Hunting handloads for deer.(357 magnum only) Reply with quote

Vince wrote:
Bushmaster wrote:

Bushy, I don't meet the rules criteria (we aren't allowed to hunt with pistol where I am) so I'll contact you via other means..OUT.

Cheers, Vince

Same here, no handgun hunting at all. That's one reason I don't have one........ yet! I have the license but no handgun. Sad

Bushmaster

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 6:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Hunting handloads for deer.(357 magnum only) Reply with quote

And I'll just bet you have a dog house and no dog either...Oops...Wrong string...

jameslee
Rookie Member
Rookie Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 6:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Hunting handloads for deer.(357 magnum only) Reply with quote

The Colt WhiteTailer II, SS, is a DA revolver, 8" barrel, rubber grip came from Colt with a 2.5-4x Burris scope, I have removed the scope. I got the Colt in Mar. of 89. This was a hunter's package. Colt made 3 type of these in the 80's WhitetailerI blued, Whitetailer II SS, and the Ten Pointer, blued. I should have stated it was a revolver. JIM
Bushmaster

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 7:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Hunting handloads for deer.(357 magnum only) Reply with quote

Oh yes...I remember now...Thanks for jarin' my CRS file...You are right...Forgot...My apologies...By The Way...You keep posting the same thing twice...Must be an echo in here... Very Happy

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » Reloading Ammunition
Page 1 of 3