Coppermine Stats
Photo Albums
 Albums: 308
 Pictures: 2451
  · Views: 820725
  · Votes: 1316
  · Comments: 86

components available?
Discussion regarding the reloading of ammunition and tuning of loads for accuracy
Go to page Previous  1, 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » Reloading Ammunition

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MacD

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:46 am    Post subject: Re: components available? Reply with quote

So far no problems here with components but commercial ammo supplies seem to be dwindling. I bought 7 bricks of 22lr and cleaned out two Walmarts and one Canadian Tire store. I asked the salesmen about deliveries and they reported no new supplies in the last several restocking shipments.

Warnberg
Rookie Member
Rookie Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:42 am    Post subject: Re: components available? Reply with quote

Powder GONE, if you can find it they are selling it at 3 to 4 times normal price.. (gunbroker.com) primers are the same way... I have an order in but back-ordered until at least August... maybe they tell me
Ominivision1

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:47 pm    Post subject: Re: components available? Reply with quote

Same here, after work I stopped in at the LGS to pick up some Unique and Clays and they were out and probably would not be getting any till late summer or early fall!!

Limitations are but boundaries created inside our minds.
slimjim

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:18 pm    Post subject: Re: components available? Reply with quote

stop by Cabela's after work. Limit was 10 boxes of ammo per person. Someone was walking around with to boxes of .223 PMC but I couldn't find it on the shelf. More ammo than last time. Bullet components were limited. They got some powder in so picked up some ReLoader 7. Not one primer and still no 22LR.

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it." - Albert Einstein
Warnberg
Rookie Member
Rookie Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:28 am    Post subject: Re: components available? Reply with quote

PaulS put your order in at .midsouthshooterssupply.com they will take a back order... I know right now they are looking at August sometime for most primers, however they just filled my order for powder, took about 45 days and they are starting to get some in stock. Skip gun shows for now, everything I've seen so far have their prices doubled if they have any.

Good luck
Pumpkinslinger

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 5:36 pm    Post subject: Re: components available? Reply with quote

I picked up some powder at a local shop the other day. Price was $23/lb, not much above what it was a few months ago. He wasn't stocked up but had a decent selection.

"I ain't no better than anybody else, and there ain't nobody better than me!" Ma Kettle
Donut Slayer

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 6:48 pm    Post subject: Re: components available? Reply with quote

We finally got 22LR's back at the local stores. $25 for a brick of 300. Shocked Shocked

English Mike

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 6:06 pm    Post subject: Re: components available? Reply with quote

Donut Slayer wrote:
We finally got 22LR's back at the local stores. $25 for a brick of 300. Shocked Shocked

That's almost as much as we're paying here in the overpriced UK. Sad
DallanC
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 7:29 pm    Post subject: Re: components available? Reply with quote

550 packs that used to sell for $20'ish are selling for over $60 a box on gunbroker.com ... its CRAZY!

.22LR ammo is nearly high enough I might sell what I have... and then go buy a new gun Very Happy

People used to dis the 17HMR due to price, but its WAY cheaper to shoot right now than 22LR, and you can find the stuff all over! I have around 14 boxes of it and plan to shoot the crap out of it over the coming summer.

I will say .22LR is showing up at a few stores lately so possibly there is some end in sight... most places have it but they keep it out of sight behind the counter (gotta ask for it). It seems to be working as people dont just grab it when they walk past for no reason.

-DallanC
PaulS

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 7:59 pm    Post subject: Re: components available? Reply with quote

I think I have enough to wait for things to get back to "normal" but we will see... I have Midsouth in my favorites - along with all the others. The local stores don't sell the eight pound kegs so I will be buying online for sure.
My 3006 will only get about 140 loads per pound so I really need the eight pound kegs.
4 to 6 of them should set me up for another year. Then once I get the reloading "room" set up in my shop I can actually take inventory on bullets and primers to see what I need with the new calibers I will be loading.

So and So's pages on the internet = NOT reliable loading data
Always check data against manuals
NEVER exceed maximum listed loads
slimjim

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:28 am    Post subject: Re: components available? Reply with quote

I went to Cabela's on Friday. They had a few one-pound bottles of powder. Very few loose bullets, especially under 6.5mm. The ammo shelves had filled up with .270 Win and larger. No .223 or six8 anywhere.

I had someone tell me that the gun stores in remote areas are getting supplies first because that is their only lifelyhood. Stores like Cabela's have other products to keep the revenue coming in.

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it." - Albert Einstein
Donut Slayer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:40 am    Post subject: Re: components available? Reply with quote

I'm with Paul. From now on, powder is gonna be in 8lb kegs only. Just gotta find who has any.

PaulS

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:56 pm    Post subject: Re: components available? Reply with quote

Donut Slayer,
I started buying eight pound kegs back in the 80s because I didn't like having to work my load back up each time I started with a new batch of powder. Depending on how many rounds you use it can be a short time running through 1 pound cans when you are loading 3006 and 358 win. Even with my 357 max I get less than 400 rounds per pound - I think it was around 360 loads per pound but I would have to do the math to be accurate on that. The only other alternative is to buy a lot of one pound cans from the same lot and when you order - even from a local store - you may not get cans with the same batch number.
You can get them from Midsouth, midwayUSA, Gamaliel, Sportsmans Warehouse and Graf and sons. (not right now because everything in the Hodgdon powders is out of stock - but they are taking orders)
I like to buy them in one shipment of 48 pounds so I only have to pay the one hazmat fee.

So and So's pages on the internet = NOT reliable loading data
Always check data against manuals
NEVER exceed maximum listed loads
dhc4ever

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:12 am    Post subject: Re: components available? Reply with quote

slimjim wrote:
gelandangan wrote:
got 1000 federal small Pistol ($50) for my 38's

Your prices are even reasonable. I wonder if our shortage will eventually spill over into your market down under.

Might be wise to stock up.

You may be right.
A mate was trying to get 5000 small pistol primers today from a large gun shop in Brisbane and was basically told don't hold your breath, they just can't get stock.
If you yanks could stop panic buying that would be nice..........

Dont do anything you wont like explaining to the paramedics..............
Donut Slayer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:40 pm    Post subject: Re: components available? Reply with quote

"If you yanks could stop panic buying that would be nice.........."
tell me about it. cant find powder anywhere.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » Reloading Ammunition
Page 2 of 2