No staff members are online!

Coppermine Stats
Photo Albums
 Albums: 308
 Pictures: 2452
  · Views: 824013
  · Votes: 1316
  · Comments: 86

Hey Vince, I finally finished "MY" rifle...
Discussions related to Guns and Firearms
Go to page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Deer Sniper

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 4:23 pm    Post subject: Hey Vince, I finally finished "MY" rifle... Reply with quote

Here are a couple of pictures of my Winchester M70 in 300 Jr....

DAVID
Deer Sniper

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 4:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Hey Vince, I finally finished "MY" rifle... Reply with quote

Okay guys, here is a list of specs on this rifle...

ACTION: Winchester M70 / blue-printed / set up as a single shot...

BARREL: Lilja / 30" / 3 groove / 1.250" diameter / D&T muzzle brake / overall barrel and brake length - 31 1/2"...

CALIBER: 300 Jr. - based on a maximized 280 Remington case, necked to .30 caliber / minimum body taper / 40 degree shoulder angle...

STOCK: McMillan Tooley MBR...

TRIGGER: Rifle Basix / rebuilt / adjusted to 10 oz...

BASE & RINGS: EGW scope base and Burris Signature ZEE rings...

SCOPE: Vortex Viper 6.5X-20X-50mm with 30mm tube / fine duplex reticle...

BI-POD: Sinclair F-Class...

Heavy duty firing pin spring and titanium firing pin...

In forming brass for the 300 Jr., start with new 280 Remington brass...

Neck brass up to .35 caliber...

Neck brass down to .30 caliber to created a secondary shoulder for proper headspacing...

After fireforming, the new case has minimum body taper, a 40 degree shoulder and maximum powder capacity...

Any questions, just ask!

DAVID
slimjim

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 4:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Hey Vince, I finally finished "MY" rifle... Reply with quote

Lots of great pictures! Looks like a fun project. But what is the end result? What bullet are you using? How fast? What is the group size? Are you going to use Nosler new Accubond Long Range? Inquiring minds want to know!

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it." - Albert Einstein
Deer Sniper

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 5:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Hey Vince, I finally finished "MY" rifle... Reply with quote

This is the only load I have developed so far -

CASE: Federal 280 brass / reformed / fireformed...

PRIMER: Federal 210 Match...

POWDER: IMR-4350 / 62.7 gr...

BULLET: Hornady 155 gr. A-MAX

VELOCITY: 3,312 fps...

ACCURACY: 1 1/2" 3 shot average @ 600 yds...

I don't like Nosler bullets and if I change, I'll shoot Sierra's 165 gr. B.T. Spitzer bullets....

DAVID
Elvis

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Hey Vince, I finally finished "MY" rifle... Reply with quote

very very nice.

PaulS

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Hey Vince, I finally finished "MY" rifle... Reply with quote

Does that rifle walk up to the game and shoot itself or is that just a real fancy bipod? Smile

So and So's pages on the internet = NOT reliable loading data
Always check data against manuals
NEVER exceed maximum listed loads
slimjim

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Hey Vince, I finally finished "MY" rifle... Reply with quote

Deer Sniper wrote:
if I change, I'll shoot Sierra's 165 gr. B.T. Spitzer bullets....

Nosler has developed some long range hunting bullets with high BC. The 30-cal are 190gr 0.640 and 210 0.730

www.nosler.com/accubond-long-range

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it." - Albert Einstein
Suzanne

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Hey Vince, I finally finished "MY" rifle... Reply with quote

Paulie!! that was my line!! I was gonna ask if he had a leash for that thing cause it looks like it's gonna walk away.

Very cannon looking rifle Deer, I love that barrel. What made you decide on the caliber?

Elvis

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 12:21 am    Post subject: Re: Hey Vince, I finally finished "MY" rifle... Reply with quote

holy SMOKE!!!! just reread your specs Embarassed
1st time I thought 1 1/2" ho hum Sad
then I finally saw 600 YARDS!!!!! Worship Worship Worship Worship Worship YOU THE MAN!!!

Vince
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 1:14 am    Post subject: Re: Hey Vince, I finally finished "MY" rifle... Reply with quote

DS...that is about the sweetest looking rifle I think I have ever seen mate. You have achieved to an extremely high standard once again...and I have to clean the drool out of my keyboard, again. Laughing

What made you opt for a single shot mate? Nothing wrong with that idea, but I would have thought a 3 shot internal magazine might have been an option. Will you use this rifle for targets or long range hunting mate?

That looks like a devastating calibre...anything on the receiving end of one of those is a goner. The neck seems very short...how does it hold the bullet? Does very much of the bullet protrude down into the case? The accuracy of the round is awe-inspiring...1.5" at 600 yards is something that I have difficulty comprehending. I think Elvis has summed it up nicely for all of us mate.

Now that is a very interesting and stable looking bipod. I've never seen one before and it gets some pretty good write-ups.

All in all...you've done it again mate. You level of workmanship and design never ceases to amaze me. Simply a beautiful rifle that anybody would be proud to have in their gun cabinet.

Illegitimi non carborundum
(Never let the bastards grind you down)

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.

"Nulla Si Fa Senza Volonta."
(Without Commitment, Nothing Gets Done)
Deer Sniper

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 7:29 am    Post subject: Re: Hey Vince, I finally finished "MY" rifle... Reply with quote

Elvis - since I built this rifle for shooting at longer distances, I figured why not sight in and shoot at the longer distances. I'll post targets after I get in a little more trigger time and get my loads finalized....

Suzanne - I was planning on chambering this rifle for the 30-284, but had a change of heart just before I got the reamer slopped up and ready to make the first cut. The 300 Jr. is a cartridge that I designed and developed back in the early 90's. I made the first rifle chambered in this cartridge for my dad, because he was a "Jr." and after I completed the rifle and documented 2 long-range kills with this specific rifle, I was boxing it up and getting ready to ship it to my dad, when my sister called and said that our dad had just passed away. Unfortunately, he never got to see his rifle. The cartridge though, it is still my most favorite .30 caliber cartridge of all time and this Winchester rifle was built - thinking of my dad....

Hi Vince - you always have a way with words and I appreciate your compliments very much - Thank You!

I have just always preferred to use a single shot and every rifle I own is a single shot, either by design or customization. With my own testing that I did years ago, I have found single shot bolt action rifles to be just a little bit more accurate than repeaters. I can also load bullets long and not have to worry about magazine length. A 3 shot internal magazine was an option, but something that I personally just don't care for...

The neck length on my 300 Jr. cartridge is .200 long and it poses no problem in securely holding bullets in place. I throated this chamber specifically for the 155 gr. Hornady A-MAX bullet and the base of the shank is even with the bottom of the neck. I have full use of the cases powder column with nothing wasted...

1 1/2" groups @ 600 yds.? That is the same accuracy criteria that I hold for any long range rifle that I build for a customer. Doesn't matter if it's for Military, Law Enforcement, or a long-range hunter shooting deer or prairie dogs. If the rifles I build are not accurate, then they are about as useless as the the proverbial tits on a boar hog...

This is my first time to use the Sinclair F-class bi-pod and I must say, it IS one of my best investments! It is rock solid, has a side to side tilt that you can lock in place and both legs are fully adjustable. If you don't want the rifle to tilt, lock it in place and it don't move! I really like the "rocker" design of the feet and that works equally well on the shooting bench or lying prone on the ground...

Whatever this rifles "first kill" is, you guys get first pics - crow, coyote or deer...

Oh yeah, sorry about the keyboard drool.... Crying or Very sad

D/S
Bushmaster

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 8:23 am    Post subject: Re: Hey Vince, I finally finished "MY" rifle... Reply with quote

Very nice...Now if only you had a nicer shooting table to shoot it from.

Beautiful!!!

DEMOCRACY Two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for lunch...
LIBERTY A well armed sheep contesting the outcome of the vote...
Deer Sniper

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 8:51 am    Post subject: Re: Hey Vince, I finally finished "MY" rifle... Reply with quote

Bushmaster,

if you'll come build me one, I'll let you fire a couple of 600 yd. groups from my new build....
TRBLSHTR

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:16 am    Post subject: Re: Hey Vince, I finally finished "MY" rifle... Reply with quote

Very Happy Hey DS-just a couple of observations;That old stall mat looks like it does the trick on the shooting bench-I lined my f350 bed with them to keep down the noise and keep stuff from slipping-also in the horse trailers!
What is the benefit of using 280 rem brass over 30-06 brass-same cartridge casing,or 35 whelan?Just a DA question! Shocked

Bushmaster

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:19 am    Post subject: Re: Hey Vince, I finally finished "MY" rifle... Reply with quote

Yup...Horse trailer mats.

DEMOCRACY Two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for lunch...
LIBERTY A well armed sheep contesting the outcome of the vote...
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » Gun & Firearm Discussions
Page 1 of 2