· Comments: 86

Air rifles
Discussions related to Guns and Firearms
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DallanC
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 5:29 pm    Post subject: Air rifles Reply with quote

I've yet to see a discussion on Air Rifles so I thought I would ask if anyone has them, if any are truely accurate, models, types, calibers etc etc. I think everyone has tried the standard Crossman when growing up but accuracy is something to be desired.

Is there any air rifles out there giving sub inch groups at say, 25 or even 50 yards? I'd love to find something I can shoot in a backyard without bothering the neighbors due to noise.

-DallanC
ripper007

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 7:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Air rifles Reply with quote

I have usesd a sharidon,or bengerman pellet gun.

it was the only one I have used that was accurate enought to put a group within a bottle cap at 30 yards.

in my opinion it is the best. I do not have one any more, but would like to get another one for my boy and my self.

Bushmaster

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 8:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Air rifles Reply with quote

Got a cheap Daisy that I mounted a Weaver .22 rifle scope on to eliminate pigeons at work in the shop area. Used a lever action side mound. Works pretty good for these ol' eyes. At least I can hit them at 50 feet...Does that count???

DEMOCRACY Two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for lunch...
LIBERTY A well armed sheep contesting the outcome of the vote...
roklok

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 10:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Air rifles Reply with quote

A friend bought one of those Gamo break barrel air rifles from Cabelas.It seemed to have a fair amount of power but the accuracy left much to be desired. I believe(though I have no firsthand experience)that the RWS are better.
Vince
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 10:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Air rifles Reply with quote

Have used a few different type of air rifles....mainly European, and Russian and BSA. They were all pretty average to look at, break barrel style, packing crate wood for stocks but they were accurate enough to shoot sparrows out my bedroom window up to about 25 yds.

If you want more power you can always put a heavier spring in the pump. You need to be careful though, I wasn't and got too much power and ended up with a small bulge in the pump tube. Didn't affect the accuracy of the rifle though.

There are some very accurate target air rifles out there but boy are they expensive. What do you think of the idea of using an air pistol Dallan. Depending on the maximum range you could have a lot of fun and also get a fairly high grade one probably cheaper than a target air rifle.

Cheers, Vince

Illegitimi non carborundum
(Never let the bastards grind you down)

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.

"Nulla Si Fa Senza Volonta."
(Without Commitment, Nothing Gets Done)
yotebuster

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:00 am    Post subject: Re: Air rifles Reply with quote

The spring/piston type airguns, the ones that break open, are very common but are lacking in accuracy, in my opinion.
The most accurate and deadly rifles are the ones that use pressurized air stored in cylinders or small tanks. The few I've seen are incredibly accurate and far more powerful than anything you can imagine. They can get pricey but if I ever get the itch for another pellet gun, that will be the way I go.
Yotebuster Very Happy Very Happy

ogre

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 2:14 am    Post subject: Re: Air rifles Reply with quote

HI

I have a couple of AG's.
My favorite is a PCP RWS excalibre in 22 cal.
With a "JSB Exact" at 860 FPS it puts out about 26 foot pounds.

I have head shot rabbits at 65 yards and the head had that mushy feel to it like they do when you hit em with a 22 lr at 120 yards.
Have groups at 22 yards that can be covered with a pinky nail. groups at 50 yards that can be covered with a thumbnail.

I also have diana model 34 in 22 that iplink with using beeman "silver bears" rat's, rabbits, pigeons and a fox cub at 20 yards.

I use air guns a heaps- if you really want a great airgun have a look at the Weirach HW100T. 22 calibre is best... 14 shot charged air will kill most small vermin and rabbits and small foxes easily out to 50 yards.

later
P
Daveyboy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 3:25 am    Post subject: Re: Air rifles Reply with quote

I've got 2 AG's.

One is a Weihrauch HW80 which are always above the UK legal limit and an Falcon FN19 which is on compressed air. I've got a tuning kit for the HW80 and the FN19 already knocks out 28ft/lbs of energy.

Good rifles for the garden as both are silenced but compared to my .17 HMr, both are cack. The HRM has to travel 890 yards before it drops to the same power limit of the AG.

Good for plinking though as you can take shotgun shells at 50yards so good for snap shooting.

D

515034s10ring

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 12:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Air rifles Reply with quote

If you were to stick to your standard higher end rifle models like....RWS, Gamo, Beeman, BSA (in .22 cal only), Webley, and Daisy you can't go wrong with either. All of these will be able to shoot and hold (when clean because these it really does matter) groups and have the accuracy you are looking for. Cool

ogre

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 5:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Air rifles Reply with quote

speaking of cleaning an air rifle- less is more.
Don't use a cleaning rod down an air rifles barrel as the riflinf is soft and shallow.

Use a pull through or a bore snake with the bristles clipped short in a 22 or there is a and air rifle .177 version of the bore snake with no bristles.

DON'T GET ANY OIL IN THE CYCLINDER or you will cause the cyclinder to act like a diesel engine and thats bad --mmmkay.

You don't want to scrub all the lead fromthe bore because it will only have to be deposited again before the rifle will settle down and shhot again.

A couple of feltex pellets a minute, tiny miniscule fraction of gunk out or similar on a pull through from the breech end whats out for the o-ring seal a couple of clean patches and finish with a couple of feltex pellets and you are done.

Ususal stuff for the woodwork
later
P
swr19
Rookie Member
Rookie Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 2:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Air rifles Reply with quote

can anyone me help me get a little more from my fn19? accuracy is not a problem, it just lacks a bit of grunt. Do u really gain that much from a heavier pump spring? or is there anything else i can
try? Confused
Vince
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 6:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Air rifles Reply with quote

swr19 wrote:
can anyone me help me get a little more from my fn19? accuracy is not a problem, it just lacks a bit of grunt. Do u really gain that much from a heavier pump spring? or is there anything else i can
try? Confused

Welcome to HuntingNut swr19. Grab a brew and pull up a stump and sit awhile.

I'd think long and hard about putting in a stronger or heavier pump spring. I put one into my old unknown brand of air rifle and I ended up with a bulge in the cylinder down near the chamber end. Shocked I'd be looking for an air rifle expert...either a gunsmith or someone who shoots air rifle target competition...and getting some knowledgeable advice.

You could very easily trash your air rifle if you aren't careful. Might be a good excuse to purchase an air rifle with more oomph. Very Happy

Cheers, Vince

swr19
Rookie Member
Rookie Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 4:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Air rifles Reply with quote

can anybody help me locate a manual or parts diagram for a falcon fn19/ also could anybody give me any info on the s410tdr ie fac limit as just purchest 1 recently. if anybody can help on any of these i would be very greatfull.
Dimitri

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 5:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Air rifles Reply with quote

FN19 not sure what specific model you have but if you go to:
www.falcon-airguns.co....ameset.htm

And go to "Accessories" you'll find the manuals.

S410 TDR Manual:
www.air-arms.co.uk/PDFS/TDRISS1.pdf

Dimitri

Vince
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 8:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Air rifles Reply with quote

Well done 'Mitri, once again you come through with the techo stuff.

Cheers, Vince

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » Gun & Firearm Discussions
Page 1 of 5