Coppermine Stats
Photo Albums
 Albums: 308
 Pictures: 2451
  · Views: 820725
  · Votes: 1316
  · Comments: 86

338 wni mag for white tail
Discussion regarding the reloading of ammunition and tuning of loads for accuracy
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » Reloading Ammunition

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ominivision1

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 4:06 pm    Post subject: Re: 338 wni mag for white tail Reply with quote

Another thought to ponder JohnX is using H4895 for reduced loads, here is a link to Hodgdon's website for that info.

hodgdon.com/PDF/H4895%...0Loads.pdf

They don't list anything yet for the weatherby but they do list the 338 win, for the 340 I also use IMR 4759 at 33grs with a speer 200gr sp good for 2000fps chronied as well as using alliant RL22.

You can call Hodgdon and ask them for info on H4895 which they will gladly tell you over the phone or e-mail and they could probably tell you info on IMR 4789 since they also have the license rights for IMR powder.

And I also need to send Hodgdon an e-mail about using "Trailboss" in large capacity cases.

Limitations are but boundaries created inside our minds.
JohnX

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:59 pm    Post subject: Re: 338 wni mag for white tail Reply with quote

RL22? Now that's a thought. That's a piece of the recipe for my 6.5x55. I'll take a look at this ominiV...thanks for the insight on this and Hodgdon. I have some Hornady 185gr GMX's to start out with. Curious to see or feel the difference the new stock makes in felt recoil. Its a M77 Mark II that had a skeleton stock w/no butt pad originally. Bruise ya every outing.
John
MacD

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 7:55 am    Post subject: Re: 338 wni mag for white tail Reply with quote

Must be fun to be a firearms designer. Consumers want less weight, more powerful and light recoil. I have a friend who took an already lightweight Lee Enfield "Jungle" carbine and restocked it with aftermarket synthetic sporter stock that he modified to fit. The thing was a bruiser to begin with and afterwards the recoil was even more punishing. He then fitted a recoil pad but it was still a rifle that kicked like an 8 guage elephant gun. He eventually sold it.

Suzanne

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 9:14 am    Post subject: Re: 338 wni mag for white tail Reply with quote

What a great file OmniV! Thanks for that.

Suz

Elvis

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 11:41 am    Post subject: Re: 338 wni mag for white tail Reply with quote

MacD wrote:
Must be fun to be a firearms designer. Consumers want less weight, more powerful and light recoil. I have a friend who took an already lightweight Lee Enfield "Jungle" carbine and restocked it with aftermarket synthetic sporter stock that he modified to fit. The thing was a bruiser to begin with and afterwards the recoil was even more punishing. He then fitted a recoil pad but it was still a rifle that kicked like an 8 guage elephant gun. He eventually sold it.
they fitted the jungle carbine with a rubber recoil pad from new as they booted from brand new!!!! now for a 3 o to boot says something as they usually have around the 13ftlbs recoil figure.

Ominivision1

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 4:09 pm    Post subject: Re: 338 wni mag for white tail Reply with quote

My Weatherby MV weights 8 1/2 pounds without scope and shoulder and arm would not like it any less. With the scope it dials in at 9.35lbs and that helps with full load rounds loaded with 300gr Noslers travelling at 2700fps!!

Limitations are but boundaries created inside our minds.
Pumpkinslinger

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 9:26 pm    Post subject: Re: 338 wni mag for white tail Reply with quote

LimbSaver recoil pads really work...

"I ain't no better than anybody else, and there ain't nobody better than me!" Ma Kettle
Suzanne

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 7:50 am    Post subject: Re: 338 wni mag for white tail Reply with quote

Quote::
they fitted the jungle carbine with a rubber recoil pad from new as they booted from brand new!!!! now for a 3 o to boot says something as they usually have around the 13ftlbs recoil figure

A whole nuther language.... Bonk

I have no idea what that means....If I were bein yelled at....and that's what you were saying....I guess I'd get on the ground and put my hands up.....or maybe start fake crying (just in case).

Suz

MacD

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:50 am    Post subject: Re: 338 wni mag for white tail Reply with quote

Ah the English speaking world.

Elvis

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 6:47 pm    Post subject: Re: 338 wni mag for white tail Reply with quote

ok Suz..I will type slowly for you
the mark 5 lee enfield .303 was different from the previous 4 types
it was lighter by quite a lot
it was shorter
it had a funny flared muzzle thingy??? like an ice cream cone in miniture??? flash hider???
they kicked like a mule due to the light weight etc
the .303s were built to shoot over a parapet the stock design reflects this. all previous .303s had a very solid brass butplate (great for chipping steps in the ice not to mention thumping enemy in the head with)
the manufactures listened to the troops and fitted the new carbines (usually called "jungle carbines" with a rubber recoil pad)

Suzanne

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:04 pm    Post subject: Re: 338 wni mag for white tail Reply with quote

Sorry Elvis I didn't mean to (well ok, yes I did...) well I guess your use of the word boot has me stumped. As I just re-read it, I think you're referring to the recoil, as in it boots you or kicks or thumps you. You are saying they kicked pretty hard, as new rifles and for a 30 caliber (but you wrote 3 o and that's interesting looking) that's saying something (I guess).

Oh and thanks for splaining the jungle carbine....how often is the case that the troops get heard and something is fixed because of it? I bet it was a freekin hard rubber recoil pad too. I just looked at some google photos of the rifle, I like the short hand guard, looks sexy like a carbine should.

Suz

Elvis

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 2:50 am    Post subject: Re: 338 wni mag for white tail Reply with quote

no wuckin furries lol
lee enfields or more to the point short magazine lee enfields SMLE nick named smellies
and .303
as three ohs

chambered221

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 7:50 am    Post subject: Re: 338 wni mag for white tail Reply with quote

I would be concerned about getting a bullet that's designed for larger game to expand on lighter game !!!

My own experience with 165gr bullets in a 30-06 often showed bullets didn't expand good until about halve way through the animal. Sure, they got the job done but I didn't like the fact deer would run after being hit and would sometimes require a second shot to finish them off quicker.

A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.
~George Washington
GroovyJack

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 6:16 am    Post subject: Re: 338 wni mag for white tail Reply with quote

all ya wussies and yer freaking small bores

this is a deer/elk/moose/ elephant load

TRBLSHTR

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 10:54 am    Post subject: Re: 338 wni mag for white tail Reply with quote

wtf Sooooooooooooooooook GroovyJack-whats the caliber?

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » Reloading Ammunition
Page 6 of 9