Coppermine Stats
Photo Albums
 Albums: 308
 Pictures: 2452
  · Views: 824185
  · Votes: 1316
  · Comments: 86

Need some help guys.....
Discussion regarding the reloading of ammunition and tuning of loads for accuracy
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » Reloading Ammunition

View previous topic :: View next topic  
yooperchuck
Rookie Member
Rookie Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 5:25 am    Post subject: Need some help guys..... Reply with quote

I just bought a neck sizing die. And it occured to me that I am not sure where to measure the neck before and after I run the brass through the die. Should the entire neck be the same size when I run the brass through the die.? Or just the tip of the neck....should IT be the size of the bushing I run through the die? Thanks for any help guys!!!! Good shooting to all.

shootist

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 8:09 am    Post subject: Re: Need some help guys..... Reply with quote

Hi Yooperchuck...Basic rule of thumb for neck sizing is about 3/4 of the neck length. This will, with most standard neck calibers, ensure a uniform neck tension which is what we are after. Some reloaders will size just enough to firmly hold the bullet but most will neck size within those limits. Keep in mind that minimal sizing will increase the possibility of bullet movement (in or out) and you'll have to determine how gently you handle your ammunition or how it passes through the cycling.
When neck sizing using full-length dies, some reloaders limit to 1/2 neck length. I'm sure others will give you additional info.

SHOOTIST
yooperchuck
Rookie Member
Rookie Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 4:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Need some help guys..... Reply with quote

Thanks shootist.........i couldnt believe it when I put the bushing in the die and ran the brass...(almost typed bras !!)...I was dumbfounded holding the calipers and the brass and not knowing where to measure. Good shooting to ya guy....

shootist

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 5:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Need some help guys..... Reply with quote

OK Yooperchuck...you're on your way...One thing in addition, you didn't mention caliber or more importantly, the rifle action for which you are loading . The powerful camming of a bolt action allows for cartridge extraction even when dimensions are really tight. If you have any stiffness or are using another type of action (autoloader,pump,lever, etc) you may have to full length resize. For most of my reloading, I use a full length set with a spacer or adjust to partially size,sometimes just the neck.
Let us know how you make out.

Shootist
Silverfox
Rookie Member
Rookie Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 10:47 am    Post subject: Re: Need some help guys..... Reply with quote

yooperchuck-- You have been given lots of good advice and pointers in this thread. I use a Redding Type S bushing neck sizing die for my .204 Ruger casings and for my .17 Remington casings. The .204 Ruger has a very short neck to begin with and the throat on my Savage 12VLP rifle is very LOOOOONG, so I can't seat the bullets anywhere close to the lands to begin with. My practice for bullet seating depth is to seat bullets approximatley 2/3 of a caliber deep. Some folks try to seat their bullets a full caliber deep--2/3 works for me. So, I attempt to neck size a little bit further down the neck than my bullets are going to be seated. The portion of the neck below that line, hopefully, will help align the neck and the bullet more in line with the chamber and the center of the bore. That's the plan anyway!!! Laughing Laughing Laughing

Here is a photo of one of the .222 Remington Magnum casings I fire formed into .204 Ruger brass (casing on the left). Please note the definite line (yellow arrow pointing to that spot) where my bushing stopped sizing the neck. The area below that is a noticeably larger OD. The casing on the right is a factory Hornady .204 Ruger casing that I fired in my rifle and used a universal decapping die on it, so the neck IS NOT resized yet for comparison.

Vince
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 11:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Need some help guys..... Reply with quote

OK guys, now you have set my mind to thinking. I have been resizing the necks of my cases as close to the shoulder as possible. To do this I "smoked" a case then went through the die adjusting process, checking and adjusting until I had achieved "full length" sizing of the neck. This is for both Neck Size and FLS. Am I overdoing it? Am I "working" my brass too much, causing premature failure?

I notice that both shootist and Silverfox advocate 3/4 and 2/3 respectively of the neck length. Does this give enough grip to the projectile for the powder to do its job as intended? Does it also necessitate a firmer crimp, either a tight roll crimp or a "factory" crimp a la Lee's die?

Be interested to know, especially if it will improve accuracy and/or extend the life of my .243 brass.

Cheers, Vince

Illegitimi non carborundum
(Never let the bastards grind you down)

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.

"Nulla Si Fa Senza Volonta."
(Without Commitment, Nothing Gets Done)
PaulS

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 4:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Need some help guys..... Reply with quote

Vince,

My 358 Winchester has a neck that is less than a caliber long and I only size 2/3 to 3/4 of it and have for a couple of years now (since I had it made) and it hangs on to bullets (uncrimped) well enough in my Remington bolt action. It should be good enough for any bolt action to size just 3/4 of the neck.

So and So's pages on the internet = NOT reliable loading data
Always check data against manuals
NEVER exceed maximum listed loads
Crackshot

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 12:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Need some help guys..... Reply with quote

I have always neck sized as close the case body as posssile, seems to work for me, I get excellent neck tension as well.

shootist

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 2:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Need some help guys..... Reply with quote

Hi Vince....the idea of partial neck sizing leaves a little of the neck (unsized) to center the round. If chambering is difficult the a FL die can be adjusted to bring the cartridge back to chamber dimensions. With moderate loadings, I don't FL size often. Also I don't have a tight match chamber .

Shootist
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » Reloading Ammunition
Page 1 of 1