Albums: 308
 Pictures: 2452
  · Views: 824587
  · Votes: 1316
  · Comments: 86

Newbie Greetings.
Discussion that doesnt fit other Topics
Go to page Previous  1, 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » General

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dimitri

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 9:18 am    Post subject: Re: Newbie Greetings. Reply with quote

AnyIng wrote:
Gee fellas, I just re read my last post and it probably sounds a little harsh but as Vince will no doubt atest, access to hunting properties is hard to get and I would wager that he would do the same if in the same position i was just placed. No offence meant Gelan.

Steve

Its the same thing in Canada really and probably most other places, your there with permission of the property owner and you want to keep him happy. Smile Dont feel bad because of it. Smile

Vince,

I myself think helping out the land owner, giving him part of what you hunted or a bottle of good scotch (alot of people here drink the stuff) is a required thanks. I dont pay for access like I hear they do in the US in some places and a little help or gift as well as being polite and friendly can go a long way. Cool

Dimitri

1895ss

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 10:47 am    Post subject: Re: Newbie Greetings. Reply with quote

Dimitri wrote:
AnyIng wrote:
Gee fellas, I just re read my last post and it probably sounds a little harsh but as Vince will no doubt atest, access to hunting properties is hard to get and I would wager that he would do the same if in the same position i was just placed. No offence meant Gelan.

Steve

Its the same thing in Canada really and probably most other places, your there with permission of the property owner and you want to keep him happy. Smile Dont feel bad because of it. Smile

Vince,

I myself think helping out the land owner, giving him part of what you hunted or a bottle of good scotch (alot of people here drink the stuff) is a required thanks. I dont pay for access like I hear they do in the US in some places and a little help or gift as well as being polite and friendly can go a long way. Cool

Dimitri

Around here landowners don't want part of what you hunted and you don't need to give them a bottle of scotch either, but you are a guest on their property and as such you need use common sense. There is posted land for one reason or another but on land that isn't posted almost anyone can get permission during big game season, with a few exceptions. My family enjoys hunting an area that belongs to a long time family friend and we are about the only ones that get to hunt the area. In most cases though, they welcome you to come and hunt on there property to reduce the game numbers. In fact the property where I go to shoot gophers the rancher/farmer even supplies the .22 ammo. Smile

Dimitri

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: Newbie Greetings. Reply with quote

I think moving out west would be a good idea. Shocked Too many hunters competing for small amounts of land here Sad

Mind you giving a bottle of scotch etc for Christmas is a nice gift for friends etc. Cool And building a friendship with the farmer who you hunt on there land is always a good idea isnt it ?? Confused

Dimitri

AnyIng
Rookie Member
Rookie Member

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 2:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Newbie Greetings. Reply with quote

Thanks fellas, I have often gone to a property to hunt and ended up spending the whole time helping out the cockie (farmer) hanging a gate, straining fences, being a sheep dog or any other vast number of tasks simply because I knew he needed a little help. To some this is a big deal but to me it is simply a matter of showing gratitude for the numerous times he has allowed me onto his place.

Simple things like ringing them up before you drive out of town asking if he needs anything taken out and ensuring all telephone calls made to them are a reasonable times goes a long way as well.

Word of mouth is the go though.

Steve
gelandangan

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 5:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Newbie Greetings. Reply with quote

Hi Steve, its allright mate. No offense taken Smile IF you can not, then you can not. If you could, then all I ask is for a contact.

Although I said that I could not find place to hunt around Sydney, it doesnt meant that I am a bad hunter or a careless one. It is just because I am a stanger to them. I have no acquaintances that own properties around sydney or there about. On all of the property I have access to, I always received a "came anytime" invitation from them.

The problem is, on almost all the hunts I did, they are all on a paid (commercial) property. I do not mind to pay for the previledge to shoot there, but the problem is the properties gets futher and further away, and good ones are scarce. Some of those outings, I ended up playing cowboy and helps the farmer muster sheep, or repair their computer or electrical system or installing video link etc. Since I have my degree in electronics and mechanical engineering, I have often be able help to solve their problems.

Yes I know that I could apply for an R license, which I am going to as soon as I could take the test (fulltime work make it difficult to find the time). WHat I worry about is going into a (crown) property with strangers with guns (with various experience and ethics) all around me. I always rather pay for the previledge of being the only shooter (group?) in the area. It is safer that way.

Although, it is true shooting at crown property is fun and the game is plentiful. I was once invited to a cull in a local dam catchment area. It is very interesting watching the professional hunters headshot animals at the distance of 200 to 300 meters standing still or running, all off hand shooting. Incredible those guys are!!

Anyhow, there are my rantings Smile

Gelan.

Do - Not try!

gelandangan.weebly.com/
Deleted_User_2665

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 7:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Newbie Greetings. Reply with quote

Soooo......If I own property that allows deer and bear huntin', LITERALLY in my back yard....

AND IF I have a 200 yard shootin' range with an enclosed, heated, electrafied "shootin' shack" with Sat TV and reloading bench actually IN my back yard.........

then I'm one lucky bastid ey........?
george20042007

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 7:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Newbie Greetings. Reply with quote

wildswalker wrote:
Soooo......If I own property that allows deer and bear huntin', LITERALLY in my back yard....

AND IF I have a 200 yard shootin' range with an enclosed, heated, electrafied "shootin' shack" with Sat TV and reloading bench actually IN my back yard.........

wildswalker, I would say so...
Keep it coming...
gelandangan

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 10:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Newbie Greetings. Reply with quote

wildswalker wrote:

You made me cry... hiks...

Do - Not try!

gelandangan.weebly.com/
AnyIng
Rookie Member
Rookie Member

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 2:40 am    Post subject: Re: Newbie Greetings. Reply with quote

Wildswalker,

Wanna adopt a 42 year old son?

Steve
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » General
Page 2 of 2