· Views: 820723
  · Votes: 1316
  · Comments: 86

Pellet Rifles
Discussions related to Guns and Firearms
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
English Mike

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 4:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Pellet Rifles Reply with quote

13.125gr(that's grains, not grammes...) pellet at 637fps MV.

Non metric calculation

637x637x13.125รท450,240=11.82ft/lbs energy.

450,240 is twice gravitational acceleration in fps multiplied by the number of grains in a pound.
Don't ask me why it's used but it produces the result needed.
PaulS

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 5:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Pellet Rifles Reply with quote

2 x 32.17 x 7000 = 450380 (if you round the numbers differently you get slight variations in the value - the difference is very small.

You want foot pounds so you need to convert from grains to pounds (7000)
You have to divide by g (32.17) to convert from feet per second to the foot pound desired
the 2 is needed to get the correct energy value when working with non-relativistic speeds.

Energy = Mass x Velocity x Velocity / 2

At relativistic speeds it can be E= Mass x velocity x velocity as in E=MC^2 (No division by 2)

So and So's pages on the internet = NOT reliable loading data
Always check data against manuals
NEVER exceed maximum listed loads
slimjim

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 4:22 am    Post subject: Re: Pellet Rifles Reply with quote

Aloysius wrote:
SJ, a rubber band (a piece of innertube) with little holes that hold pellets can shorten your reloading time. You can put this band on your left wrist or on the stock of your rifle.

Aloys, like this?

pellet holder.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  156.81 KB
 Viewed:  4841 Time(s)

pellet holder.jpg

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it." - Albert Einstein
Aloysius

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 6:36 am    Post subject: Re: Pellet Rifles Reply with quote

Did you already try it out? Next time punch your holes instead of cutting them with a knife as you did now (I think). Small things can make life easy Smile
English Mike

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 2:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Pellet Rifles Reply with quote

I think I've found the answer to the night time rat problem... Very Happy

dsc_1704 (2) (medium).jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  205.29 KB
 Viewed:  4829 Time(s)

dsc_1704 (2) (medium).jpg

English Mike

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 2:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Pellet Rifles Reply with quote

And no, my bench isn't usually in that much of a mess. Been clearing other things up & used it as somewhere convenient to use as a sorting table. Razz
slimjim

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 2:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Pellet Rifles Reply with quote

English Mike wrote:
And no, my bench isn't usually in that much of a mess.

The thought never crossed my mind. Really. That night scope captures your focus.

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it." - Albert Einstein
Deer Sniper

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 2:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Pellet Rifles Reply with quote

slimjim wrote:
English Mike wrote:
And no, my bench isn't usually in that much of a mess.

The thought never crossed my mind. Really. That night scope captures your focus.

Ain't that the truth!
slimjim

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 3:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Pellet Rifles Reply with quote

Aloysius wrote:
Next time punch your holes instead of cutting them with a knife as you did now (I think). Small things can make life easy

Aloys, you may be right but the punch I have is too big for a .177 pellet. I'll live with this for now. Thanks.

Aloysius

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 12:50 am    Post subject: Re: Pellet Rifles Reply with quote

SJ, a hot nail or needle could also do the trick...
and I think you used a tube of a bicycle, I always use a piece of a cartube, 1 layer is a little ticker then. (maybe you only have tubeless wheels?
DallanC
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 11:27 am    Post subject: Re: Pellet Rifles Reply with quote

English Mike wrote:
I think I've found the answer to the night time rat problem... Very Happy

I've watched quite a few night-time rat shoots from people over in europe. ITs oddly satisfying to watch them rack up 80-100 kills per night.

Other fun videos to watch is farmers digging through manure piles to scatter the rats and packs of rat terriers chasing them down killing them.

-DallanC
slimjim

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 6:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Pellet Rifles Reply with quote

Aloysius wrote:
SJ, a hot nail or needle could also do the trick...
and I think you used a tube of a bicycle, I always use a piece of a cartube, 1 layer is a little ticker then. (maybe you only have tubeless wheels?

Aloys, I've tried it out a couple of times and it is working fine. Not to thick to interfere with insertion into the bore. Yes, I have some car tubes for my 1960 MGA with wire wheels.

English Mike

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 5:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Pellet Rifles Reply with quote

It's heading towards 02:00 here & I'm loath to go to bed as I'm having so much fun.
Put up a piece if fibreboard in the back yard earlier today & zeroed the NV onto a sharpie cross on it.
Smeared the cross with peanut butter & set the rifle up on the breakfast bar after moving my PC monitor out the way.
Trigger's horrible so I'm going for centre of mass rather than head shots but I know I've clobbered four of the buggers so far tonight.
Not particularly ethical I know but for rats I make an exception & two at least are lying in view through the NV.
I need to find out what leads I need for the video outlet from the scope...

I need to dismantle the dismal trigger too.

The view from over my desk (dark rectangle's the open door... Very Happy ).

dsc_1720 (2).jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  157.61 KB
 Viewed:  4728 Time(s)

dsc_1720 (2).jpg

slimjim

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 2:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Pellet Rifles Reply with quote

Yes, that feeling of satisfaction when you connect. I've gotten 3 so far today and two were hiding showing just one eye watching me. Off-hand weak side to boot. One was by the bird feeder in front of the kitchen window. I ended up having to clean the window. Rats with tails!

OldSchoolRanger

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 10:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Pellet Rifles Reply with quote

[/quote]

An air rifle is classified as a firearm in Australia mate, and it's illegal to discharge a firearm in a residential area. You even need to have a firearms licence to own one and then the firearm (air rifle) also has to be registered with the Police...and that's after getting a Permit to Acquire approved by the Police to actually purchase one.

I could give it a real good workout around here on Indian Minors etc...if I could get away with it.[/quote]

LOL! Oh Yeah! Me too!
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » Gun & Firearm Discussions
Page 3 of 4