· Views: 820725
  · Votes: 1316
  · Comments: 86

Favorite .22 ammo
Discussions related to Guns and Firearms
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gelandangan

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 5:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Favorite .22 ammo Reply with quote

Hmm... too many brands Smile

I bought a couple of "big bricks" (20 x 500 rounds?) of Winchester PowerPoint in 1998 still using those for hunting rabbits and foxes ( I did not shoot much did I?) I found that the PowerPoints are great for up to about 50 meters, accurate and powerful. It is also great for cheap "insurance shot" on pigs when you walk up on them after downing it with a centerfire.
They would easily shoot through pig's skull at 2 meters. Besides, its lots quieter...

And for target, I feed CCI standard velocity on my Ruger MkI and Browning Buckmark pistols. Now I run through about 2 big bricks of these a year for target pistol shooting..... Very Happy

Do - Not try!

gelandangan.weebly.com/
sniper

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 10:55 am    Post subject: Re: Favorite .22 ammo Reply with quote

There is lots of ammo (actually, too much ) that shoots really well in my rifles.
My favorite is CCI Mini mag hollow point, followed by Winchester Power Points. Not target accurate, but very accurate and consistent, and I never have had a bad one in years. Wolf Match Target is the most accurate, 5/8" at 50 yds, measured edge to edge.
The new Aguila Interceptor rounds look interesting, and the bulk Wally world Federal loads (#750 in the Gold box) does really well for not a lot of $.
Of course, each rifle will have its favorites. Fortunately, both of mine like the same ones, sort of. Very Happy
d_hoffman

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 11:50 am    Post subject: Re: Favorite .22 ammo Reply with quote

Hey Sniper, is there really any such thing as too much ammo?????? Shooting Pistol Shooting Sniper Laughing

tracker

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 2:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Favorite .22 ammo Reply with quote

I've always used CCI and Winchester in .22's, from short, long, lr and magnum over the years. I've never had a problem with the Winchester, seemed to get a bit more fouling with the CCI long rifle.

sniper

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 6:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Favorite .22 ammo Reply with quote

d_hoffman wrote:
Hey Sniper, is there really any such thing as too much ammo?????? Shooting Pistol Shooting Sniper Laughing

When the ammo shelf is in danger of collapsing, Yes, there is! Shocked
Vince
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 7:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Favorite .22 ammo Reply with quote

d_hoffman wrote:

Never enough ammo, and never enough game.

sniper wrote:
When the ammo shelf is in danger of collapsing, Yes, there is!

Gee Snipes....build BIGGER and more shelves mate. Very Happy Laughing Laughing Laughing

My Krico loves Power Points, my Browning thrives on Remington Subsonics and my Lithgows will shoot pretty much anything to "minute of rabbit".

Gelan. For everyday plinking and also in the field, have a look at Remington Cyclone. They are pretty cheap here in Qld and shoot well out of most rifles. Another good brand is Winchester Bushman...good bunny "medicine".

Cheers, Vince

Illegitimi non carborundum
(Never let the bastards grind you down)

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.

"Nulla Si Fa Senza Volonta."
(Without Commitment, Nothing Gets Done)
fireball 3

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 8:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Favorite .22 ammo Reply with quote

I was just being stupid . a funny thought had hit when I was reading the post. Like Tink says, we use Feds 22 lr hp's. They feed in her marlin autoloader real good. I think we have around 4 bricks. CCI's work really well also but here they are pricey so we go with cheap. Dave Smile Toilet Claw

fireball 3

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 8:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Favorite .22 ammo Reply with quote

just a quick note, Cabelas has 22 lr tracers in 250 round boxes. should look cool with rapid fire in a semiauto. gotta get some. Dave
Shooting

gelandangan

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 12:21 am    Post subject: Re: Favorite .22 ammo Reply with quote

fireball 3 wrote:
Cabelas has 22 lr tracers in 250 round boxes.

Shocked

.22LR tracers..................

Wow.. now that would be nice in the wish list.
Too bad tracers ain't allowed Land of Oz.

Do - Not try!

gelandangan.weebly.com/
JayB

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 7:38 am    Post subject: Re: Favorite .22 ammo Reply with quote

I only use Eley subs in mine, with a moderator (silencer) apart from the cycling of the action the loudest noise is the thump of the bullet hitting the bunny.

I did fire off a few hundred of the new Aguila Interceptor last year. I was visiting my friend in Montana and he was testing / evaluating them for Aguila. We were making a real mess of prairie dogs out to 60+ yards.

John
longshots

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 11:01 am    Post subject: Re: Favorite .22 ammo Reply with quote

I am with JayB except I shoot CCI Sub-Sonics, the 40gr hollow point is devastating at slow speeds and I get much better shot-to-shot accuracy out of a 10-22.
Crackshot

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 4:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Favorite .22 ammo Reply with quote

30 Year old Marlin Model 60 Shoots CCI Stingers into one hole @ 50 yds.
Also I like CCI Green Tag for my new TC R55 Benchmark.

sniper

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 9:57 am    Post subject: Re: Favorite .22 ammo Reply with quote

Your rifle, handgun, etc., will TELL you which ammo it likes. Ignore its opinions at your peril!

BUY a box of everything you can get your hands on, and try each. Keep records, because when you get older.... Embarassed

Once you have found THE load(s), avoid further ballistic proctology, unless a new something comes a' sky hootin' over the hill, buy as much of what shoots good as the budget will stand, and ENJOY!

'Tis a Fine and Pleasant Madness! Very Happy
tracker

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 10:21 am    Post subject: Re: Favorite .22 ammo Reply with quote

I think that ballistic proctology may well be the finest language usage I have read in some time, now there's a phrase we can all understand and embrace.

1895ss

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 7:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Favorite .22 ammo Reply with quote

sniper wrote:
Your rifle, handgun, etc., will TELL you which ammo it likes. Ignore its opinions at your peril!

BUY a box of everything you can get your hands on, and try each. Keep records, because when you get older.... Embarassed

Once you have found THE load(s), avoid further ballistic proctology, unless a new something comes a' sky hootin' over the hill, buy as much of what shoots good as the budget will stand, and ENJOY!

'Tis a Fine and Pleasant Madness! Very Happy
I agree .............. I currently have approx 7000 rounds (never less then 5000 rounds) of American Eagle that my Browning Lever loves. Why would I buy anything else.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » Gun & Firearm Discussions
Page 2 of 3