Albums: 308
 Pictures: 2451
  · Views: 820622
  · Votes: 1316
  · Comments: 86

Starting Fishing Tackle ??
Discussion that doesnt fit other Topics
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » General

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vince
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 6:22 am    Post subject: Re: Starting Fishing Tackle ?? Reply with quote

Can't argue with that 'Meatree......as my Dad says...."If it ain't broke, don't fix it". If your kit works well, it should do the same for the young'un.

Cheers, Vince

Illegitimi non carborundum
(Never let the bastards grind you down)

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.

"Nulla Si Fa Senza Volonta."
(Without Commitment, Nothing Gets Done)
Morax

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 9:25 am    Post subject: Re: Starting Fishing Tackle ?? Reply with quote

if you are concerned over the ability of casting, pick up one of those trigger style open faced reels, you know, pull trigger, it flip bail open and holds the string, release trigger it releases the line. i have one forget who made it, but it was only like 20 bucks.
Dimitri

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 9:44 am    Post subject: Re: Starting Fishing Tackle ?? Reply with quote

Morax,

Never seen one of thouse types of reels sounds interesting. Smile

Dimitri

tracker

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 9:58 am    Post subject: Re: Starting Fishing Tackle ?? Reply with quote

Yeah, it does. Can you find out Morax? I might want something like that for my grandson. My big plan is for he and I to spend absolutely every minute we can outdoors together summer and fall, so I'll probably be looking for more gear.

DallanC
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 10:10 am    Post subject: Re: Starting Fishing Tackle ?? Reply with quote

The tackle you want to stock depends widely on what type of fish you want to catch. You mentioned Rainbows though which is what I primarily go for... hence my list:

Tacklebox,
bag of small swivels
bag of small #10 slip sinkers
bag of #16 trebble hooks
bag of #12 wormhooks
small spool of #6lb leader (stren)
Fish Stringer
De-hooker
Small needle nose pliers.
toe-nail clippers
floating bobbers (I like the clear ones you can put water in)

Bait:
bottle of Pautzkies Salmon Eggs (balls of fire)
bottle of Zekes Rocky Mt Gold, or Sierra Gold cheese (this stuff is 100x better than powerbait)
Bottles powerbait (all with glitter!): Lime Green, Corn, Red, Dark Green, Orange, Rainbow.
Zekes Orignal: Red, Corn, Orange (do they even make this stuff anymore? LOL)

Spinners: RoosterTail (orange or black), Mepps, Jakes, DareDevil, CastMaster, Rapalas, BlueFox. For trolling I highly recommend trolling WeddingRings behind popgear.

Mainly I catch my rainbows / cutthroats on Zekes Cheese, followed by powerbait... then trolling roostertails or Wedding Rings.

We went fishing saturday... caught 9 rainbows, most in the 18" range. The largest was right at 20", huge for the lake we were at and they fought like crazy. Smile

-DallanC
Dimitri

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 10:31 am    Post subject: Re: Starting Fishing Tackle ?? Reply with quote

Dallan,

I don't think I've seen Zekes Rocky Mt Gold, or Sierra Gold cheese, might have though, you know if Cabala's and/or Bass Pro stock the stuff ?? Smile

Dimitri

DallanC
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 12:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Starting Fishing Tackle ?? Reply with quote

Dimitri wrote:
Dallan,

I don't think I've seen Zekes Rocky Mt Gold, or Sierra Gold cheese, might have though, you know if Cabala's and/or Bass Pro stock the stuff ?? Smile

Dimitri

No they dont. Its hard to find locally so I stock up when I locate it. Google it and you can find some online websites selling it. Looks like they changed their bottle graphics a little from pictures.

www.stevesfishingsuppl...zekes.html

One thing I LOVE about zekes over powerbait is its much softer. Powerbait tends to get very hard in cold conditions and the fish really have to bite down hard to get hooked. Zekes stays soft and its much easier to hook fish.

... but when you get out fishing, knocking them dead on zekes... tell people you are just using powerbait Wink

-DallanC
Dimitri

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 12:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Starting Fishing Tackle ?? Reply with quote

Dallan,

Thanks for the link I might just have to get a jar or 2 to try out. Smile

Dimitri

Vince
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 5:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Starting Fishing Tackle ?? Reply with quote

This stuff looks very interesting Dallan, but looking at the pics of it on Steve's Fishing Supplies it seems its only for trout. Never been much for fresh water fishing, have you tried this bait on salt water species?

I like the Berkley GULP bait. Does pretty good out here in Australia. I have some Powerbait but it isn't anywhere near as attractive to the fish. Have also tried some artificial bait...mix two parts together that forms an orangey coloured putty....that wasn't too bad, but still not as good as the GULP.

One thing I have found though is that you are hard pressed to beat nice fresh natural bait, but it must be really fresh.

Never had any real success with plastics, even when coating them with fish attractant, although a little bit of aniseed helps.

Cheers, Vince

Morax

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 4:53 am    Post subject: Re: Starting Fishing Tackle ?? Reply with quote

Dimitri wrote:
Morax,

Never seen one of thouse types of reels sounds interesting. Smile

Dimitri
tinyurl.com/2rsqvg

made by quantum, and at bass pro its a bit pricey, but you can find them cheaper at other places..

if the linky no worky let me know

21267.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  10.81 KB
 Viewed:  8070 Time(s)

21267.jpg

Dimitri

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 8:27 am    Post subject: Re: Starting Fishing Tackle ?? Reply with quote

Looks interest, that trigger makes it look like one of thouse "upside down" spincast reels. Smile

There are other "trigger" spinning reels that you pull the trigger grabbing on top the line with your index finger and it opens the bail for you. I used to have a Quantum like that actually. It broke after many years of good use, then when I went to buy the same model I found out they discontinued all rear drag models, so I went with a Shimano (the only company that Bass Pro had for sale rear drag models, and all of the other fishing stores I went to told me they don't sell them anymore).

I like rear drag, lets me play with the drag to suit what ever fish I'm fighting if its necessary so I don't lose the fish. Smile

Dimitri

Morax

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 9:47 am    Post subject: Re: Starting Fishing Tackle ?? Reply with quote

yes i am partial to the rear drags as well, for exactly the same reason, i once lost a beauty of a cat fish cause of reaching in front of the reel for the drag.. but this one i have is rather forgiving..
Morax

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 2:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Starting Fishing Tackle ?? Reply with quote

I also have one that has a little "finger" that sticks out off the one end of the bail, you grab it and it flips open, and grabs the line, when you cast/let go of the "finger" the bail closes slightly and releases the line.. but i like the triggered quantum, does just about everything for me from trout streams, to the bass lakes, with no problems, even hanging by one hand and doing a "tardo flip" to get the lure to where i want it...
keetoowah

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 2:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Starting Fishing Tackle ?? Reply with quote

personally I love the push button ones. have had great success when I lived back home and was bringing in big mouth bass, stripers, catfish of all kinds. Ive tried fly fishing now being in here in Montana and go back to my telescopic push button rod and reel. Trout is my fav here to catch.

Vince
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 8:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Starting Fishing Tackle ?? Reply with quote

Dimitri wrote:
I like rear drag, lets me play with the drag to suit what ever fish I'm fighting if its necessary so I don't lose the fish. :)Dimitri

"Mitri, I have a rear drag reel that is awesome. It is a D.A.M. brand which I think may be German, but it is a great little reel. I also have a Helidon overhead threadline reel that has rear drag, also a great little reel.

Cheers, Vince

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » General
Page 2 of 3