Coppermine Stats
Photo Albums
 Albums: 308
 Pictures: 2452
  · Views: 824013
  · Votes: 1316
  · Comments: 86

Swap Loads....
Discussion regarding the reloading of ammunition and tuning of loads for accuracy
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » Reloading Ammunition

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Deleted_User_2665

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 1:43 pm    Post subject: Swap Loads.... Reply with quote

Anyone here load for a swap..?

In other words, work a load for a premium bullet, and a cheap play bullet using same charge weight with same point of impact as a primary goal.

Just curious..............
Bushmaster

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 1:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Swap Loads.... Reply with quote

Why yes...If I can get a cheap bullet to hit the same POI as an expensive bullet I can practice with the cheap one and hunt with the expensive one...

I do this with all my hunting and defence rounds both handgun and rifle...One of the perks of reloading your own ammunition... Very Happy

DEMOCRACY Two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for lunch...
LIBERTY A well armed sheep contesting the outcome of the vote...
Deleted_User_2665

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 3:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Swap Loads.... Reply with quote

Just wonderin'......

I'm a big fan of the X bullet for killin', and have little trouble makin' BT's, SMK's or Hornady Match follow step.

Takes a little tinkerin' sometimes to get it right, but it do work...........
Vince
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 7:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Swap Loads.... Reply with quote

I use the same bullet for everything. Granted it isn't a premium bullet, but it is more than adequate for my needs.

One thing I was always taught in the Army is: "As you train, so you fight". I believe the same applies to shooting. If you use the same "tool" every time then you become intimately familiar with it....just like an old hammer that when you pick it up it slips into the same place in your in your hand everytime and feels like an old mate.

Works for me.

Cheers, Vince

Illegitimi non carborundum
(Never let the bastards grind you down)

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.

"Nulla Si Fa Senza Volonta."
(Without Commitment, Nothing Gets Done)
Deleted_User_2665

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 8:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Swap Loads.... Reply with quote

Well, I've never hunted anything in australia, but around here we hunt mostly deer, moose, elk and black bear as big game, and some of us aspire for bigger/meaner than that....

The theory is to use a premium bullet for killin' the bigger stuff and I favor a Barnes TSX as that enables me to go flatter faster with a lighter bullet and get heavy bullet performance, cup n core can't give you that. 'Tis a simple concept, a 168 TSX is gonna do the job of a 200 plus faster and further.......

On the flip side the TSX is cost prohibitive to play with, and due to my AO they are "ship in only"...can't just buy 'em off the shelf. So, a cheaper more available bullet to play/practice with only makes sense, and with volume I shoot in the off season it makes a LOT of sense.

I don't like twistin' turrets for different loads in the same shooter so it's quite handy to do the bullet swap thing. In essance I've a hunting load and a play load, that do the same point of impact less any screwin' around.

Cheers................
Vince
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 8:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Swap Loads.... Reply with quote

wildswalker wrote:

On the flip side the TSX is cost prohibitive to play with, and due to my AO they are "ship in only"...can't just buy 'em off the shelf.

In essance I've a hunting load and a play load, that do the same point of impact less any screwin' around. Cheers................

Mate, I ain't gonna argue with those sentiments.
If it works for you...go for it.

"ship in only"...where exactly is "Paradise"? I thought I lived there. Laughing Laughing

shrpshtrjoe
Super Red Neck Member
Super Red Neck Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 2:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Swap Loads.... Reply with quote

Vince wrote:

One thing I was always taught in the Army is: "As you train, so you fight". I believe the same applies to shooting. If you use the same "tool" every time then you become intimately familiar with it....just like an old hammer that when you pick it up it slips into the same place in your in your hand everytime and feels like an old mate.

Works for me.

Cheers, Vince

Howdy Vince I lean torwards your way of thinking, The loads I work up for my rifles are for hunting but when I go the range just for target practice I shoot the same bullet/load I hunt with. I think the more familiar you are with the rifle/load combo the better off ya are. Then if I miss hunting all I can blame is my self Very Happy
Joe

P E T A
People Eating Tasty Animals
Deleted_User_2665

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 4:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Swap Loads.... Reply with quote

Vince wrote:

"ship in only"...where exactly is "Paradise"? I thought I lived there. Laughing Laughing

Doubt it........
Deleted_User_2665

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 4:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Swap Loads.... Reply with quote

shrpshtrjoe wrote:

Howdy Vince I lean torwards your way of thinking, The loads I work up for my rifles are for hunting but when I go the range just for target practice I shoot the same bullet/load I hunt with. I think the more familiar you are with the rifle/load combo the better off ya are. Then if I miss hunting all I can blame is my self Very Happy
Joe

Maryland.....that's somewhere East Coast, ain't it?

So what have I failed to expound upon that leads you to deduce my hunting loads are somehow different than my practice loads...and I would be somehow less familiar?

I do love a 168TSX to thump bear and moose sized critters....

A 115 TSX is wicked mean to a deer....

A 168 Hornady Match, or a 115 Nosler BT are way much less the cost of the TSX, and way much more available off the shelf, which means more caps can be busted durring the off season....and with such, the woofs and chucks don't stand a chance, per varmit huntin'.

Prolly shock you if I were to say I drive turrets on my scopes and find zero need to make adjustments to the drop chart, swaping from the cheap to the not-so-cheap....that being on purpose, BTW, as this ain't a guessin' game.

A man with cheaper componentry loads more, a man who loads more shoots more, a man who shoots more prolly knows what his toolage can do...........
Bushmaster

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 7:25 am    Post subject: Re: Swap Loads.... Reply with quote

Joe,

Though I agree with wildswalker in that if you can find a loading and bullet that is cheaper then your hunting round and that performs the same down range as the hunting round, why not use it to practice with. Then just before hunting season make sure the hunting rounds are still in there.

I do disagree with wildswalker in the manor that he is using to kinda force this down our throats though. Very Happy

I have been successful in coming up with a bulk round for my .30-06 that performs down range (200 yards) the same as my hunting round. I can't, however, find a bulk round that will perform down range (100 yards) as good as my hunting round for my .30-30...The "Jack Handle" seems to be a bit persnickity...

To each his own...This subject is more of a personal view then anything else and really doesn't matter that much. At least to me anyway...Just not important...

DEMOCRACY Two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for lunch...
LIBERTY A well armed sheep contesting the outcome of the vote...
moose2

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 3:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Swap Loads.... Reply with quote

I never do the swap load thing, mostly because cheap bullets are what I used to shoot. Still shoot the same bullets, but their not so cheap anymore. I will use a batch of bullets that don't seem to shoot all that well for foulers.-- Very Happy tr

shrpshtrjoe
Super Red Neck Member
Super Red Neck Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 5:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Swap Loads.... Reply with quote

Bushmaster wrote:

To each his own...This subject is more of a personal view then anything else and really doesn't matter that much. At least to me anyway...Just not important...

Your 100% correct bushmaster Very Happy

P E T A
shrpshtrjoe
Super Red Neck Member
Super Red Neck Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 5:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Swap Loads.... Reply with quote

wildswalker wrote:

So what have I failed to expound upon that leads you to deduce my hunting loads are somehow different than my practice loads...and I would be somehow less familiar?

Wildswalker I have not stated anything in my post about what bullets you shoot or how familiar you are with them. I stated what I do and what I believe nothing more.
Joe

P E T A
Vince
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 6:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Swap Loads.... Reply with quote

I also agree 100% with both Bushy and Joe.

Wildswalker, I won't argue with your methods and practises mate. They aren't wrong or incorrect....just different to what I do. Everyone to their own.

As I said......."If it works for you...go for it." Laughing

Cheers, Vince

Deleted_User_2665

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 7:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Swap Loads.... Reply with quote

Bushmaster wrote:

I do disagree with wildswalker in the manor that he is using to kinda force this down our throats though. Very Happy

Pretty obvious to me it's being infered that, because I practice with a lower cost bullet and hunt with a premium, somehow I don't know what my rifle is doing. Defending my stance to that end isn't forcing anything down anyones throat.............

Bushmaster wrote:
To each his own...This subject is more of a personal view then anything else and really doesn't matter that much. At least to me anyway...Just not important.

Was only wondering if anyone here did same/same....mebbe compare notes, ect.....

Not a valid Reloading Ammunition topic for HuntingNut.com?

Gee, I've convinced several friends and aquaintences that they CAN get the exact same ballistic profile out of two different bullets. IOW, and in essance, a cheaper way to shoot a lot more without fiddlin' with changing scope settings, ect.....all it takes is a little more effort at the load bench.

Mebbe we shoot more than y'all, no?

Example: My favorite deer rifle is a Ruger #1B, factory as factory gets. 25-06 chambering, topped with an M8 6X Leupold upon which I've had tall turrets installed.

My favorite deer bullet for that rifle is the TSX 115. Cost $30+shipping per 50, or, 60+ cents each. BC is .450ish and with 52.2 grains of RL22 I get 2990fps and sub MOA as far out as I care to send it. With a 250 yard zero I'm 2.5 MOA above line of sight at 100 yards so basically I can hold dead on out to 250 yards without any worries. If I range a 523 yard shot I dial up 7.5 MOA, make the shot and return the scope to the "0" mark or IOW the predetermined 250 yard zero. Pretty simple......

Now since I don't really want to shoot up all my TSX's just for the sake of shooting, which I do a LOT of (pretty sure I mentioned that) I've a 115 Nosler Ballistic Tip, off the shelf for about 15 bucks per 50 or 30 cents each, that with the exact same powder charge gives me the exact same ballistic footprint as the TSX....the only difference being a slightly different seating depth, a result of the tune for swap. No big deal. The BT gives me a good varmit bullet, a good 'Yote bullet and a good practice bullet. When deer season rolls around all I do is make sure all the copper is out of the bore so the TSX are at the top of their game, fire a few to make sure everything is the same, and go hunting...less any worries 'cause I've 100 percent confidence the rifle will do the job.

But like you said, you don't care.............
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » Reloading Ammunition
Page 1 of 4