Coppermine Stats
Photo Albums
 Albums: 308
 Pictures: 2451
  · Views: 820622
  · Votes: 1316
  · Comments: 86

whats your favorite bullet
Discussion regarding the reloading of ammunition and tuning of loads for accuracy
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » Reloading Ammunition

View previous topic :: View next topic  

whats your favorite bullet
nosler
36%
 36%  [ 30 ]
sierra
25%
 25%  [ 21 ]
hornady
24%
 24%  [ 20 ]
barnes
8%
 8%  [ 7 ]
speer
4%
 4%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 82

Rick_Teal

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 8:36 pm    Post subject: Re: whats your favorite bullet Reply with quote

I've just figured out how to use my new digital camera, and how to post pictures on the web, so I thought I'd bore you all with pictures of the bullet I mention in my earlier post. The bullets shown range in weight from 165 grains to 300 grains.

calsibley

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 5:01 am    Post subject: Re: whats your favorite bullet Reply with quote

I guess it all depends on what I'm shooting. At the range I use mostly Sierras, usually Matchkings. For big game such as moose I prefer Speer Grand Slams. For deer my preferrence is Nosler Partitions. I find it all but impossible to select a single bullet here. Best wishes.

Cal - Montreal
delboy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: whats your favorite bullet Reply with quote

I guess that any one that MISSES me is pretty good in my book (and before you ask - YES, I have had a few come pretty damn close! Close enough for some SOB to shit in my underpants when I wasn't looking!)

longwalker

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 8:17 am    Post subject: Re: whats your favorite bullet Reply with quote

I guess I would have to say Speer. I use them in my 25-06 and my 338-06. The .257 100 grain stbt preform well on everything I use them on. PD to Mule Deer. The .338 200 grain sp do a great job on deer.

Longwalker
LittleMagnum

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 8:49 pm    Post subject: Re: whats your favorite bullet Reply with quote

I use Speer in the 222, Nosler Btip's in the 25-06,7mm mag, 300win & 35 whelen, Speer in the 8mm mauser and 338mag, Nosler part in the 358STA and Hornady in the 375win. 44 cast bullets out of Maine for the 44rem mag.
My favorite bullet is the bullet I just killed my deer with.
Aceoky

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 9:16 am    Post subject: Re: whats your favorite bullet Reply with quote

I'd pick Hornady! They also have all the bases covered, and the SST is an awesome bullet(and an interlock to boot)!! The regular interlock sp is the "poor man's partition",(to borrow from a very famous gun writer) besides I like buying bullets 100 at a time instead of 50!!! From varmints to really big game, the big H has it covered, and at the right price IMHO!!!

Joe I think you'll be very well pleased with the on-game performance of the SST (my son took his first buck last fall with a 165 SST in a .308, buck was over 200 yards facing him, one in the heart, jumped straight up, fell straight down DRT!!! (BTW you should have seen the hole in the heart on that buck!) They're IMHO much like the Ballistic Tip, yet much tougher perhaps due to the interlock ring? That one penetrated about 30 " of deer(in through the chest out past the last rib) not bad for a "plastic tipped bullet IMHO(non bonded)

Aceoky

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 9:19 am    Post subject: Re: whats your favorite bullet Reply with quote

I'd pick Hornady! They also have all the bases covered, and the SST is an awesome bullet(and an interlock to boot)!! The regular interlock sp is the "poor man's partition",(to borrow from a very famous gun writer) besides I like buying bullets 100 at a time instead of 50!!! From varmints to really big game, the big H has it covered, and at the right price IMHO!!!

Joe I think you'll be very well pleased with the on-game performance of the SST (my son took his first buck last fall with a 165 SST in a .308, buck was over 200 yards facing him, one in the heart, jumped straight up, fell straight down DRT!!! (BTW you should have seen the hole in the heart on that buck!) They're IMHO much like the Ballistic Tip, yet much tougher perhaps due to the interlock ring? That one penetrated about 30 " of deer(in through the chest out past the last rib) not bad for a "plastic tipped bullet IMHO(non bonded)

Though the "premiums" are great; *I* don't think they're needed for deer-sized game; unless you're shooting a magnum, which is another story in itself!

Though I do load the Nosler Partition for my youngest son's .243 so as to be certain of an exit at any angle!

Aceoky

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 9:21 am    Post subject: Re: whats your favorite bullet Reply with quote

Sorry about the "double post" (not sure what happened there!

robfromaz1977

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 11:42 am    Post subject: Re: whats your favorite bullet Reply with quote

I ALSO LIKE THE HORNADY BULLETS. I JUST WORKED UP SOME 180GR INTERBONDS IN MY 300 ULTRA MAG AND THEY SHOOT GREAT. I GOT 5 SHOTS UNDER AN INCH AT 100 YARDS AND UNDER 2 INCHES AT 200 YARDS. THATS SHOOTING OFF A BIPOD IN THE PRONE POSITION. GOOD ENOUGH FOR HUNTING LOADS. CANT WAIT TO SEE HOW THEY PERFORM ON DEER. I ALSO LIKE 165 GRAIN SIERRA GAMEKINGS IN MY 30-06. BEST BULLET I HAVE TRIED IN IT SO FAR. I HAVE TAKEN BOTH ELK AND DEER WITH THAT LOAD.
Coyote_Hunter_

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 9:02 pm    Post subject: Re: whats your favorite bullet Reply with quote

It really depends. I voted "Speer" because I ahve used 160g Grand Slams for elk, deer and antelope for over 20 years. But my real favorite is the North Fork bonded bullets, kind of a cross between the Speer Trophy Bonded and the Barnes Triple Shock.

That said, I shoot a lot of different bullets when hunting:

.224" = 40g Nosler BT, 50g Hornady V-MAX, 52g Speer and hornady Match BTSP
.257" = 115g TSX, 120g Grand Slam and Partition
7mm = 160g Grand Slam and 160g North Fork
.300 Win = 180g North Fork
.30-30 = Speer 150 and 170g and 170g Partition
.375Win = Hornady 220g
.45-70 = 350g North Fork

I list the .30-30 and .300 win Mag but haven't actually hunted with them yet as I got them after last fall's seasons had closed. Hope to make up for that this fall.

Bushmaster

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 9:49 pm    Post subject: Re: whats your favorite bullet Reply with quote

.45 ACP (185 gr JHP), .38 Special, .357 mag (125, 140 gr SJHP Remington Bulk. 9 X 19mm (115 gr JHP Winchester Bulk) And the same in Hornady XTPs...

Sierra 165 gr BTHP and 180 BTSP Game Kings for the .30-06 and Speer 170 gr FNSP for the .30-30...

DEMOCRACY Two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for lunch...
LIBERTY A well armed sheep contesting the outcome of the vote...
LittleMagnum

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2005 6:17 am    Post subject: Re: whats your favorite bullet Reply with quote

Nosler Ballistic tip's is my #1 deer rifle bullet's. A Very accurate bullet and has worked very well for me.
If I had to hunt the world over with only one bullet, it wouldn't be the B.tip.
however the B.tip is my favorite deer bullet and the hunting bullet I use the most.
Tusero
Rookie Member
Rookie Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 3:53 pm    Post subject: Re: whats your favorite bullet Reply with quote

I'd like to vote for all of the maker's except Barnes. That is only because I have never used any of them. They don't seem to have that many of them in the stores where I shop, and I don't really like to order on-line unless it is a necessity.

I like all the frangible bullets because I only shoot prairie dogs, and well an occasional coyote, but I am not worried about fur damage. If I am shooting a coyote it is to kill it for a rancher/farmer where I shoot.

I have had outstanding results on prarie dogs with just some soft points that I got from Cabela's that they call Critter Ridders too! Some of the guys I shoot with are just too cheap to buy anything else, meaning soft points are all they use, and they kill just as many pd's as anyone else.

And as long as I am mentioning soft points, let me say how well the Hornady SPSX's work on pd's. Makes a sound like a balloon popping.

1895ss

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 6:35 pm    Post subject: Re: whats your favorite bullet Reply with quote

I use mostly Hornady. I use a few Sierra and Remington but 99% Hornady. The Hornadys have always worked just fine for me for everything from Rabbits and Coyotes to Deer and Elk sized game. You just need to use the right caliber.

Zeeriverrat1
Rookie Member
Rookie Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 7:43 pm    Post subject: Re: whats your favorite bullet Reply with quote

I voted for Hornady..mainly because I use more of them than any other brand...but in all fairness I have had excellent success with sierra, speer and especially nosler...as mentioned early on..Hornady's are a real bargain..and work great if you will pay attention to the their suggestions for bullet use...

That being said..if I was going on a high dollar hunt...my rifle would be loaded with nosler partitions..especially if I was going after something like elk...or spending a wad of cash to go to africa...partitions are cheap insurance on a high dollar hunt... I have killed a pile of stuff with partitions and have never recovered a partition bullet....

Zeeriverrat1
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » Reloading Ammunition
Page 2 of 4