Coppermine Stats
Photo Albums
 Albums: 308
 Pictures: 2452
  · Views: 824050
  · Votes: 1316
  · Comments: 86

So I bought a press.
Discussion regarding the reloading of ammunition and tuning of loads for accuracy
Go to page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » Reloading Ammunition

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dimitri

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 8:06 pm    Post subject: So I bought a press. Reply with quote

Well I went to Ellwood Epps, a sporting goods store today, and I didn't really have the money to spend (maybe in a few weeks) but I saw a Lee Challenger press and I decided to buy it. Smile

So I got a press, no powder measures, no dies, no accessories of any kind, and no rifle to reload for yet. I'm on a roll with buying things I don't need the last month. Cool

Oh and I also bought Lee's reloading manual. Smile

By the way I think I got a pretty old make of Challenger press, mainly because the box lists:
Quote::
"The all new 2001 Challenger has so many features that no other "O" frame press comes close."

And reading the Modern Reloading 2nd edition published by Lee which was re-printed this year states:

Quote::
Over 25 years ago we introduced the 2001 challenger Press, guaranteed until the year 2001. We did this to place the buyer at ease about the durability of the press. AT the time it was an unprecedented guarantee. We dropped the "2001" from the name years ago.

By the way I just read the fine print in the little one page folded manual Lee put in my press and its Copyrighted 2001, so I'd imagine its been sitting on the shelf for a while. Shocked

Thoughts ?? Confused

Dimitri

powergel
Rookie Member
Rookie Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 11:06 pm    Post subject: Re: So I bought a press. Reply with quote

Ahh tell me about it, I've just got home from a gun show today here in Melbourne and less $400 in my pocket, just can't help myself at these shows, anyway got some "bargains" I just tell the misses (wife) it's an investment haha, like all the other stuff I have in the safe..I even bought some dies for a cal. I don't have "yet" but planning on getting, better to be ready so when I find or build a 500Jeffery it's all sorted.....easy mate.
shrpshtrjoe
Super Red Neck Member
Super Red Neck Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 4:02 am    Post subject: Re: So I bought a press. Reply with quote

Howdy Dimitri. That press should do ya just fine Very Happy LEE has a very good reputation. Just a peice at a time it's a good way to buy, your not dropping a bundle all at one time.
Joe

P E T A
People Eating Tasty Animals
Dimitri

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 6:45 am    Post subject: Re: So I bought a press. Reply with quote

Powerjel,

Never spent that much money on impluse buys when going out but you know I never had that kind of change to spend till recently. Laughing

Joe,

Lee products seem to have a good reputation. And I saw the press so I did a impluse buy and I bought it.

Dimitri

K.W.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 9:58 am    Post subject: Re: So I bought a press. Reply with quote

Moi Dimitri. It was abaot 1990 I bougft challenger-press mayby to start reloading. It is ok today and I keep reloading witch it for my guns: 22 Hornet, 222, 223, 22-250, 308, 30-06, 9,3x57, 9mm Luger ( it is T/C Cont.), 38 spl and 357 rem maxim ( Dan Wesson and T/C Cont). Also to my friends 7,62x54R and 25-20. Kauko.
chambered221

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 11:43 am    Post subject: Re: So I bought a press. Reply with quote

Hey Dimitri,
Congrats on the press. You gotta start somewhere.
Morax

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 1:31 pm    Post subject: Re: So I bought a press. Reply with quote

well i have a set of LEE dies that work every time, and they are over 20 years old.. the "challenger 2001" model as it was stated was guarenteed blah blah you know this part, but what ya dont know is they still make it, just removed the "2001" off the name.. you bought it off the shelf, so its brand new, no worries.. as far as presses and the like go, if they are used the way they are intended, then very little will go wrong. the press i use is an older than dirt rcbs, and it still performs flawlessly! i wouldnt worry about it..

Powergel, just tell the wife what she always tells you "But dear I saved all this money cause it was on sale"...
Dimitri

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 2:26 pm    Post subject: Re: So I bought a press. Reply with quote

Kauko,

Seems like it will be a fine press. Only planning on reloading the 308Win once I get my M1A for now seeing as its the only higher volume shooting I plan on doing. For Service Rifle (better called Service Conditions) shooting here is a easy 200 rounds per match nevermind all the practice I'm going to be doing for it. Laughing

chambered221,

Thanks. Very Happy

Morax,

Yes I bought it off the shelf it was new, but I'm wondering how long it was sitting on the shelf. Considering that in the Lee book it says as it was getting close to the new melinium they dropped the 2001 from the name as it wasn't impressive anymore. Laughing

Dimitri

bodyalter

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 7:45 am    Post subject: Re: So I bought a press. Reply with quote

Check the last page in that reloading manual, they have a coupon of some sort for like 60% off referb or returned stock ordered from the factory. could get you some dies and misc. other reloading goodies. just a thought. by the way take the load data from the manual with a grain of salt. always compair what it lists with what other loading manuals have to say. just my two cents.

Dimitri

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 7:53 am    Post subject: Re: So I bought a press. Reply with quote

Once I start reloading I'm going to get a hold of the Hornady and Serria manuals as well. And will get that Load book for the 308Win. Smile

I am not really expecting to start reloading before January or so though, still trying to save up for my M1A. I'm about half way there. Smile

Dimitri

FALPhil

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 9:11 pm    Post subject: Re: So I bought a press. Reply with quote

Dimitri,

You will be glad you got that press. Even though I have a progressive, I still use my single station press for precision loads.

I can also recommend Lee dies. I was a Hornady bigot for many years until I started collecting milsurps and faound that Lee made the most economical dies for them (7.5 Swiss, 7.5 MAS, 8x56R, 7.62x54...you get the picture). What I found was that I got excellent quality ammo when I loaded with Lee dies. So, I tried the 30-06 neck size die from Lee which has a collet with a floating mandrel. My groups were cut in half. I got the same results with the 270 Win and the 308 Win. Now, I am a big believer in Lee dies.

I can also recommend the RCBS loading manual - it's my "go to" manual when I have a question. And, there is always www.reloadersnest.com, which is a wealth of information.

M1As are cool, but it is hard to make them precise without spending lots of $$$. After you get it, start saving for a Savage (or Stevens) short action in 308 Win and a good scope. The older I get, the less I shoot my autoloaders. I think that it is because I enjoy the precision of my bolt guns, most of which I have tweaked.

Dimitri

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 6:25 am    Post subject: Re: So I bought a press. Reply with quote

Phil,

The M1A I'm getting is the "Loaded" model as the other models that are better are all glass bedded and that means I can't really field strip them to clean them. Sad

Also note, this rifle is for service rifle competition. Reloading for it will be a means to save alittle extra money as if I'm shooting 150-200 rounds in a match its going to get expensive. Smile

As for a Bolt action rifle I plan on getting a Remington M700 30-06Springfield and possibly build that rifle up as a persision shooter. Smile

Dimitri

FALPhil

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 6:22 pm    Post subject: Re: So I bought a press. Reply with quote

Dimitri wrote:
As for a Bolt action rifle I plan on getting a Remington M700 30-06Springfield and possibly build that rifle up as a persision shooter.
Excellent choice. I have a couple Remmy bolts and my shooting buddy is a huge fan of the LTR. The LTR will save you a good deal of time in obtaining a precision rifle. Both of his shot sub-moa out of the box with Black Hills Match. My very first shot out of one of his LTRs was 1/8 inch off dead nuts center at 100 yards (off a sandbag). I was tempted to say, "I'm done."
Dimitri

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 6:28 pm    Post subject: Re: So I bought a press. Reply with quote

Phil,

The LTR's come in 308Win I believe, which does me no good as I want it in 30-06Spring. Smile

Dimitri

English Mike

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 5:59 am    Post subject: Re: So I bought a press. Reply with quote

Buy yourself a copy of the Lyman 48th edition reloading manual. I found it to be excellent.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » Reloading Ammunition
Page 1 of 2