Coppermine Stats
Photo Albums
 Albums: 308
 Pictures: 2452
  · Views: 824083
  · Votes: 1316
  · Comments: 86

Stuck case
Discussion regarding the reloading of ammunition and tuning of loads for accuracy
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » Reloading Ammunition

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Doublejs

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 6:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Stuck case Reply with quote

Speaking of neck lube, look what I just saw:
www.redding-reloading....media.html
This has probably been out for awhile, it's new to me.
Crackshot

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 7:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Stuck case Reply with quote

To be honest they were not my dies, They belonged to a customer of the Gunshop I worked in for 5 years. I set them up in the shop owners press and had the same trouble the owner did. We sent them back to Hornady for him and they said they were some that got passed the inspecters. They promptly sent new replacements.

Hammer
Rookie Member
Rookie Member

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 5:16 am    Post subject: Re: Stuck case Reply with quote

wncchester wrote:
Seems a lot of folks are suddenly sticking cases lately. The problem does not come from failure to lube inside or outside of the neck nor from "hot' loads. Stated pure and simple, sticking cases comes from insufficent lubricant on the thicker lower part of the case. That's where the most sizing pressue is needed and that's where the lube must be well applied. Learn to feel the extra pressure needed to stick a case too, backing out and re-lubing before it sticks is the best system of all! Very Happy

There's really no need to damage the decap/expander rod when pulling a stuck case. Before drilling/tapping, screw the decapper UP as far as you can get it to go but not jammed hard into the neck. That usually gets the rod clear of the drill and tap.

Hello all.

The above is absolutely the case(lol).

The lower part of the case not being lubed properly is exactly what sticks most of the stuck cases seen, although not brushing out and lubing the inside of the necks is bad also.

It only takes one or two stuck cases to teach someone how much pressure on the press is a bad sign. That last 3/4 inch or so of sizing is where things go bad wrong.

Hornady One Shot has made me give up other lubes and just use that stuff. It's quick, it's easy, and I've found it to be far less messy. Beyond a really quick whipe with a cloth, it doesn't need much cleaning off either. I also shoot a shot of it in the base of the die when I start sizing and that makes it even easier.

I've got a stump, I've just lit the fire, now who's got a beer?
Bushmaster

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 6:38 am    Post subject: Re: Stuck case Reply with quote

Hammer...My, you are a bold sonofagun...Here's that beer. L O L Welcome to this fine site...

In most cases I would have to agree with you, but in my case, for some reason, most of my .30-06 cases get stuck on the neck sizing plug (button) an the way out. I have sense solved that problem by using a bronze bore brush and RCBS lube on the inside of the neck.

DEMOCRACY Two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for lunch...
LIBERTY A well armed sheep contesting the outcome of the vote...
Hammer
Rookie Member
Rookie Member

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 8:48 am    Post subject: Re: Stuck case Reply with quote

They don't call me Hammer for nothing.

Good to meet ya Bushmaster. I've spent more time at the reloading bench and behind a trigger than I ever have on a computer so my internet manners might be a touch off. I'm a late bloomer to the technical world of computers and rest asured, I STILL don't see a need for an Ipod or whatever they call it....what are they for anyway?

I've stuck a case neck before but it was because I forgot to brush it out.

You don't like One Shot huh....I love the darn stuff.
Bushmaster

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 9:53 am    Post subject: Re: Stuck case Reply with quote

One shot works just fine on my .30-30 cases and my wife's squeeky rocking chair, but I have problems with resizing .30-06 cases with the stuff. It'll get used up though...On my wife's rocking chair...

I've been using RCBS lube and pad for over 20 years and haven't had one stuck case with the stuff. A couple of cases once in a great while that have lube dents on the shoulders (I get carried away with lube once in a while), but they pose no problem...

Crackshot

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 12:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Stuck case Reply with quote

Bushy, I have noticed that the 30/06 and all its children are alittle harder to resize. Just my experieance.

Vince
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 9:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Stuck case Reply with quote

Bushmaster wrote:
Hammer...My, you are a bold sonofagun...Here's that beer. L O L Welcome to this fine site...

Hi Hammer...welcome to HuntingNut mate. I see that Bushy has done the right thing and offered you a beer...but no seat...the miserable bugger. Not to worry mate, there's a stump waitin' for ya at the fire.

I have only ever used Pacific Sizing Lube ( a small bottle, maybe a couple of ounces has lasted me 30 years so far) and have never, in tens of thousands of reloads, had a case stick in a die. Yeah, I know, having said that, the next 10 cases will probably stick. Like Bushy, I use a pad and also give the inside of the neck a light lube every five cases or so and that seems to keep the neck sizing plug running smoothly.

I am considering buying a LEE Collet die though...they sound like a good investment.

Cheers, Vince

Illegitimi non carborundum
(Never let the bastards grind you down)

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.

"Nulla Si Fa Senza Volonta."
(Without Commitment, Nothing Gets Done)
Bushmaster

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 5:34 am    Post subject: Re: Stuck case Reply with quote

I would have offered Hammer a stump, but he already pulled one up AND lit the fire. Now he has two stumps... Very Happy

wncchester

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 5:40 am    Post subject: Re: Stuck case Reply with quote

Please, let no one take what I said about neck lubing the wrong way.

Case neck lubing, both inside and out, IS very helpful for several reasons but don't think anyone has ever pulled the rim off a case simply because the neck was unlubed!
twofifty

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 10:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Stuck case Reply with quote

Hammer wrote:
They don't call me Hammer for nothing....
I'm a late bloomer to the technical world of computers and rest asured, I STILL don't see a need for an Ipod or whatever they call it....what are they for anyway?

Well, for instance, you could listen to the 1812 Overture on one (the Ipod) while working up loads at the range. Inspirational. ;-)

Hammer, welcome to the site.
Vince
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 11:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Stuck case Reply with quote

wncchester wrote:
Please, let no one take what I said about neck lubing the wrong way.

Case neck lubing, both inside and out, IS very helpful for several reasons but don't think anyone has ever pulled the rim off a case simply because the neck was unlubed!

That is no doubt true...however, I think the closest I have ever come to having a case stuck was when I had not lubed the neck and the neck sizing plug grabbed real tightly. But you are right....to pull the head off a case would take an awful amount of pressure and is extremely unlikely to happen...unless said head was very close to separating anyway. The only way I could see a rim being pulled off a case is if it was very worn or the shell holder was worn.

Cheers, Vince

Illegitimi non carborundum
(Never let the bastards grind you down)

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.

"Nulla Si Fa Senza Volonta."
(Without Commitment, Nothing Gets Done)
Bushmaster

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 5:55 am    Post subject: Re: Stuck case Reply with quote

Aah yes...Tschaikowsky's 1812 Overture preformed by the Russian Philharmonic Orchestra with Russian cathredral church bells and Russian 12 pound cannon fire... Know it well...

Hammer
Rookie Member
Rookie Member

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 9:09 am    Post subject: Re: Stuck case Reply with quote

twofifty wrote:
Hammer wrote:
They don't call me Hammer for nothing....
I'm a late bloomer to the technical world of computers and rest asured, I STILL don't see a need for an Ipod or whatever they call it....what are they for anyway?

Well, for instance, you could listen to the 1812 Overture on one (the Ipod) while working up loads at the range. Inspirational. ;-)

Hammer, welcome to the site.

Will an Ipod play AC/DC?

Much more soothing music.
Bushmaster

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 9:39 am    Post subject: Re: Stuck case Reply with quote

I always that AC/DC was a sexual oriatation (or something to do with voltage)...But to each his own...

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » Reloading Ammunition
Page 2 of 4