Photo Albums
 Albums: 308
 Pictures: 2451
  · Views: 820725
  · Votes: 1316
  · Comments: 86

Hunting Whitetails
Big Game Hunting topics that dont fit other categories
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » Big Game Hunting

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DallanC
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 8:52 pm    Post subject: Hunting Whitetails Reply with quote

I know I've asked this in the past... but if a guy who grew up in the west, only ever hunted here and west of here wanted to bag a whitetail, Where would a good place to start be?

What states are the "easiest" to hunt, easiest to obtain tags, reasonable property access etc etc. I know what mule deer or elk hunts cost out here for just landowner permissions... but what do costs run back east to get on good property? Not looking for anything "boon'er", just a chance at a nice mature Whitetail for me and the wife. Dont have any idea what costs run though... was thinking maybe Texas but I really dont know.
grimel

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 12:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Hunting Whitetails Reply with quote

Your problem is the MATURE bit. Otherwise it's easy to find public land.

Lindy Cooper Wisdom

mikekuzara

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 2:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Hunting Whitetails Reply with quote

DallanC, just get a Wyoming Deer license for the region around Sheridan and Buffalo. There is plenty of public land and I can get you on to private land with no access fees. The whitetail population around here has expolded in the last 10 years. Friends, relatives and myself have taken 6 bucks in the 140 class or above in the last 3 years. I have included a picture of my nephew and his first deer at age 12. It was a nice 125 yard shot. The deer was a 4X5 that field dressed at about 200 to 225 lbs.

lane #1.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  19.16 KB
 Viewed:  8396 Time(s)

lane #1.jpg

Set a man on fire and he is warm the rest of his life.

Last edited by mikekuzara on Sun Sep 25, 2005 4:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Blaine

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 3:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Hunting Whitetails Reply with quote

Dallan,

If you want to come WAY east, There is some pretty good deer hunting in upstate New York and Pa. Both states are heavily hunted and public land is at a premium in most areas, except in the far west portions of the states. I live in northern Maine, and I can tell you that as far as "mature".....we've gottum. The North Maine Woods tract is not heavily hunted at all and if a person is willing to go more than 100 yards off the road (most "road hunters" don't) you can hunt where no one has set foot in years. The lumber companies leave their lands open to hunting and up here, it is very easy to get verbal permission almost anywhere to hunt. There are not the numbers of deer that you will find in other states or even down state Maine, but there are some big boys up here. There are many bucks in the 225 -250 (field dressed) taken every year. Any time you are interested in coming up, let me know. I have a camp in the middle of a 100 acre wood lot that borders a 15,000 acre game management area (open to hunting), and you would be most welcome to join me. As to obtaining a hunting license, as long as you have a valid license in another state or can show proof of a hunter safety course, "you're in like Flynn". I don't have the book in front of me, but I think non-res license is $75. I can check if you're interested.

Blaine

LittleMagnum

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 10:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Hunting Whitetails Reply with quote

DallanC.....I would take Blaine offer if you want to come east. I have hunted Maine 5 times, just south west of Dexter. Maine is a hunter friendly
state. Deer hunts in Maine run around $750-1200 for semi-to fully guided hunts.Blaine's offer cost a lot less. Success in Maine on large bucks is 10-20%. Ten guy's go to camp, one to two get the large body bragging bucks.
Some years better. If you do hunt Maine come for 10 days and hunt the last weeks of Nov. New Hampshire is another good place to hunt around Pittsburg. New York and Pennsylvania are good too. All four States are over the counter for license with tags.
I hunted Wy back in 1999 and shot my best buck in Bighorn, right next to Sheridan. So Mike's offers make me jealous. Mike do I get the Same offer ?
Now It's my turn, how's about a Quebec Deer hunt ?
longwalker

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 7:44 am    Post subject: Re: Hunting Whitetails Reply with quote

Time is the key.

If you have time, Hunting eastern South Dakota is a great place. Tags are reasonable and hutel space is cheap. BUt you need time to hunt it. Public land id available and surprisingly good. There are guided hunts available all over Central and eastern South Dakota. If your time is limited.

I have met hunters from Indiana that come out for tree weeks archery hunting. They usually take one for the freezer and one for the wall.

longwalker
mikekuzara

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 8:26 am    Post subject: Re: Hunting Whitetails Reply with quote

Little Magnum, sure. Actually, my Step dad is the ranch manger for a place south of Big Horn on Little Goose Creek. They probably have 200 to 300 whitetails at any given time. That is where my nephew got his deer, about a 30 minute hunt. There is that or some private ground north of Sheridan that consistently produces Mule Deer in the 170 class. Not many people hunt it and is on a ranch that I have permission to hunt. The only caveat is that if you want to hunt white tail in Big Horn, you have to get at least one doe tag, preferably two or more.

DallanC
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 9:02 am    Post subject: Re: Hunting Whitetails Reply with quote

Thanks all for the info. Wyoming appeals to me as its close enough to drive (actually I'm driving to Gillette this Friday for a pronghorn hunt). I'll check into the other suggested places... I really want to hunt whitetails next year so I'm doing the planning now.

-DallanC
mikekuzara

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 9:43 am    Post subject: Re: Hunting Whitetails Reply with quote

DallanC, on your way through, take a drive through the Big Horn area if possible. Just go North on I-90 from Buffalo and follow the signs for the Bradford Brinton Memorial. The land I have access to is just North and West of the Memorial itself. the road makes a loop by the memorial. Just follow it on around back to Big Horn. If you are there in the morning or late afternoon, you will see what I mean. I plan on being in Dubois for elk hunting this weekend, so we will probably pass each other somewhere along the way.

P.S. If you are in Buffalo around breakfast or lunch be sure to stop at Tom's Main Street Diner, it's worth the stop. Winchesters is the best steak house in 4 counties if you are nearby around dinner time.

Where are you hunting antelope? I have relatives with ranches around Spotted Horse and Recluse.

DallanC
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 10:31 am    Post subject: Re: Hunting Whitetails Reply with quote

It takes us about 8.5 hours to drive from Utah to Gillette so I doubt we'll swing through your neck of the woods. We turn off at (umm midland?) 30ish miles north of Casper then over to Pinetree then up 50 to Gillette.

We hunt on some private ground about 10 miles west of the city there. Not really alot of monster speedgoats there but its a fun relaxed hunt... or should I say "shoot" LOL. They did kill a 16.5" buck there 2 years ago 2 days after we hunted. Buck wasnt on the property when we were there, luck of the draw I guess.

-DallanC
mikekuzara

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 7:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Hunting Whitetails Reply with quote

You must be turning off at Midwest. Buffalo is another 80 miles on I-25. In fact it is at the intersetion of I-25 and I-90.

Buffalo is 70 miles due West of Gillette on either I-90 or highway 16-20. Sheridan is another 30 miles North of Buffalo.

Flint54

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 5:20 am    Post subject: Re: Hunting Whitetails Reply with quote

Dallan,

I have to plug my home state. Minnesota has some huge whitetails! My first field dressed out at 286# and won me $575!! All the other bucks ran 245 - 270# dressed out. My favorite area is the Paul Bunyan State Forrest just a bit north of Akley, Mn. This is just to the west of Walker, MN on the south side of Leech Lake. Good dirt roads through the forrest with many camping areas and fire break trails that are easy to navigate. Tag runs $136 for non-resident.

I am planning a trip home this November if the prison grants my vacation request and will be hunting in another area with my step-mother's brother during the muzzleloading season 11/26 - 12/6. Minnesota requires open sights only during the ML season and a minimum of .45 cal projectile. That leaves out using .44 cal bullets in sabots.
Crackshot

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 6:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Hunting Whitetails Reply with quote

Michigan has some biguns!

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » Big Game Hunting
Page 1 of 1