· Views: 820725
  · Votes: 1316
  · Comments: 86

....."cartoon gun".......
Discussions related to Guns and Firearms
Go to page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stovepipe

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 10:03 am    Post subject: ....."cartoon gun"....... Reply with quote

Went by Sharpshooter, my local indoor range/gun shop, to pick her up bright and early Saturday morning... mmmmmmm- that new gun smell.

Plopped down on the sofa in the lounge, yanked it apart and started swabbing the 'fun residue', I mean test firing residue, the factory left in there for me. Gotter cleaned an oiled, slapped on the Pachmayr Decelerator, grabbed a bag fulla rounds and headed out to my stall, as they comped me a stall for buying a new gun- pretty cool stuff!

I was at odds with the grip- the fit was terrible on the frame and it has finger grooves. It resembles the Presentation I had on my old 3-screw RSBH, but that's where it ended. It had too much of a one-handed grip feel to it for me...but I tuffed it out for 50 rounds. Let a bud I ran into there shoot a few cylinders and he loved the grip. After I was done I re-installed the rosewood's but was pretty tired after that so I never got to shoot it with them on there. But it will be like looking forward to a new gun all over for me though so ... Cool

The loads I was shooting were subdued somewhat, but quality range re-loads, and they were copper clad FT's that burned clean and were really fun none the less and let me get a feel for her w/o killing my hand like a heavy load so it worked out really well. The longer barrel (piror was a 7.5" blued 3 screw) really subdued the noise and flip. It recovers pretty well and points super well too. I got a lil jealous as a rangemaster was working with a customers scoped 7.5" Redhawk...that thing was shaking the place, but good. I thought it was a Casull but he told me they were factory loads...not sure who's, but wow. I ran in and got a box of some 'hunting loads' (Magtech solid copper 200gr HP- a HP hunting load?)...barely more than the range reloads, the longer barrel digested them equally as well. I wanted to rattle the windows like he was but that'll have to wait. Got a little boom envy there I guess. Plus the longer barrel really quiet's it down or so I've been told.

Funny thing- I was in the lounge between sessions and this lil kid and his dad walked up- the kid points out...." look dad, just like in the cartoons!" at the 10.5" barrel.
So it got it's first nick-name. Laughing
I made sure it was cleared and handed it to his dad, then he let his son hold it...it was as long as his arm and he got a kick out of it.

Since I'm not hunting, the longer barrel is a novelty and I really wanted one and love it.

I'll do some more testing at my outdoor range at 50 and 100 yards and for giggles 200 yards bench-resting it to see if I can actually hit something.
Got some nice brass now to so it'll be off to Pop's for some reloading soon too.

It's a fact of life but it looks like Ruger has joined the super-mass-production band wagon. I know this is not a premium or presentation type, but the buffing guy went a little nuts in a place or two, and, left a kinda jagged edge and the lower frame corner opposite the gate. I also draggs the lock a little and a mark is showing on the clyinder- common for some SA's, easy fix at a pistolsmith if it gets on my nerves that much- but for the most part it's a 'shooter' and does what it's supposed to. It WILL be getting used a lot.

I'm pretty stoked- first NIB wheel gun in 25 years...the juices are flowing again. Razz

2008 Ruger SBH, 10.5", SS, factory test-fire proof date 7.10.08, target shown 60' freehand:

gelandangan

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 3:33 pm    Post subject: Re: ....."cartoon gun"....... Reply with quote

Thats a good cartoon gun.. my buddy Yosemite Sam would love one of those..
Is there one that is beltfed?

Do - Not try!

gelandangan.weebly.com/
Vince
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 8:20 pm    Post subject: Re: ....."cartoon gun"....... Reply with quote

Nice Stovepipe....very nice mate. You should get a heap of fun from that there L'il Cartoony Gun.

Yer correct Gelan....you would, l mean Yosemite, would love it mate. Very Happy Laughing

Cheers, Vince

Illegitimi non carborundum
(Never let the bastards grind you down)

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.

"Nulla Si Fa Senza Volonta."
(Without Commitment, Nothing Gets Done)
DarnSillius
Rookie Member
Rookie Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 9:02 am    Post subject: Re: ....."cartoon gun"....... Reply with quote

'scuse me while I whip this out!

Nice hawg-leg, stove-pipe. Have fun removing tree stumps and other "permanently" affixed items.

ElyBoy

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 7:07 am    Post subject: Re: ....."cartoon gun"....... Reply with quote

A shooting buddy of mine has one of those.
It is one fun gun to shoot, and he is thinking of selling it.
I hope that he waits until spring where I might be able to buy it.

Congratulations on a fine purchase, Stovepipe.

Eric

NRA Life Member
stovepipe

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 8:58 am    Post subject: Re: ....."cartoon gun"....... Reply with quote

Thanks gang....!

I sent pics to my bud.....aaaand he wants me to go boar huntin' with him sometime- no excuses he says, Advil up and hit it.
I guess that means I'll have to go to the range tomorrow for some more 'practice'. Very Happy

The range-reloads I'm using allow ya to shoot a bunch w/o getting hammered. It does get heavy after the 4-5th shot too...duh.
I'm kinda suspect of 'factory ammo' now, short of Buffalo Bore...so far I've shot some Remmy's and Magtech's- and unless that longer barrel really is softening the blow, things have toned down over the past years I've had off. Last 6-shooter was the same in blued 7.5". It had way more pronounced *wahboom* flip and kick using Remmy and Federal factory stuff. Is an extra 3" gonna make that big a diff? I dunnow....

Next Friday I'm going to the outdoor long ranges for some 50yd zeroing and renting a chrony for some re-loads I should have made up by then.....

Also got a decent two-latch locking case for it...that was kind of a chore to find due to the lentgh w/o sawing a rifle case in half. It juuust fits. And looks spectacular when ya open it with the SS and Rosewood against the black foam. (I open it about 20 times a day, ya know, to make sure it's ok...hahahaha)

Next 'chore' is gonna be finding a hunting rig for it ...gota line on a couple of suppliers here like Retting that may be able to help. Ruger makes a nice strong-side but I want a cross-chest 3-strap with a flap. There's tons of stuff for up to 8.5", but 10.5" is extemely limited for off the shelf, at least as far as I looked. Fingers crossed. Something will turn up.

I'm enjoying it immensely. May be a tad long for hunting and stuff like that and I really got it for a fun-gun, but anything is possible. Pretty confident if I find a nice rest in the bush, clear and clean 50yd shots will drop stuff ok w/o a scope with that 'half-a-buntline' bbl. Any farther than that I'll pass.

I'm waking up with a smile, every day, either way.

Cool

-kevin.
K.W.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 6:48 am    Post subject: Re: ....."cartoon gun"....... Reply with quote

Mr Stovepipe.
Fine gun you have. But I am not so jealous because am next month 70 years and have Monson Mas. Dan Wesson Mod. 40-V8S .357 Super Mag. I can to shoot with it 3-4" groups at 100 yards without scope. With my T/C Contender .357 Rem Maximum 14"-barrel, I keep shooting with Redfield Golden Five Star 4x fixed 1-1,5" groups.
Often I use only cheap copperplated resitzed 180gr castbullets (http://www.archipelagobullets.fi/), but only sundays and celebrations Hornady HP XTP.
stovepipe

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 8:52 am    Post subject: Re: ....."cartoon gun"....... Reply with quote

Took her down to my indoor range Saturday morning....tried out the stock grip panels with some factory ammo (box ratings: 200gr SCHP, 1296 FPS, 750 #/ft ME w/ a 7.5" bbl.).

First shot was dead center...second was close, but my hand started to sting and my palm was sweating. Third shot ended up w/ a flinch and a sweaty palm. Done.
Took a break and re-installed the Pacmayr Decelerator. Much eaiser on the hand. The bull-barrel reduces flip and noise considerably but it still has some kick, duuuh! Laughing

I could see using the factory grip panels on a hunt with a recoil-glove. Prolly even better with a Bisley frame. W/o a glove the pull is way too short with factory grip panels, at least for me, and strangle-holding it = a sweaty palm and flinching w/ multiple shots.

I think I'll stick with the Pach'y for a while, esp since I'm learning it still and multiple shots = wear and tear on old hands. I don't gotta hang so tight either and don't flinch. Might try a Houge too if funds permit.

Got about 150 rounds through it now and if the outdoor range is open Friday I'll try some different ammo's with a rest at 50 yds. and up and see what I can do and what she likes to eat.

K.W. - copy that and nice shooting! I doubt I'll be alble to lift this thing at 70, much less fire it.... Laughing

Havin' a blast....literally. Very Happy
Elvis

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 2:02 pm    Post subject: Re: ....."cartoon gun"....... Reply with quote

yes that sure is a fine looking piece pitty we arent allowed them over here without alot of hassle.

Bushmaster

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 2:12 pm    Post subject: Re: ....."cartoon gun"....... Reply with quote

Nice...Aah...If ya don't mind me askin', but how long does it take for you to draw that thing from "I think I'll draw it now" to BANG??

DEMOCRACY Two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for lunch...
LIBERTY A well armed sheep contesting the outcome of the vote...
Pumpkinslinger

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 5:11 pm    Post subject: Re: ....."cartoon gun"....... Reply with quote

Bushy, I was wondering how long it took to detach the wheels... Wink

"I ain't no better than anybody else, and there ain't nobody better than me!" Ma Kettle
Bushmaster

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 7:14 pm    Post subject: Re: ....."cartoon gun"....... Reply with quote

Wheels? Yeh...Might need some for the front of that barrel...For support of course.

Stovepipe? Ya wanna help us out here?

hunterjoe21

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 8:25 pm    Post subject: Re: ....."cartoon gun"....... Reply with quote

You tote it along behind a 4 wheeler...

Trick is getting the turret aimed 'afore the critter leaves the scene....(I forgot how to add some smart-azz smiley face dude)....

Bushmaster

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 5:52 am    Post subject: Re: ....."cartoon gun"....... Reply with quote

You "forgot"? How old are you?

hunterjoe21

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 5:55 pm    Post subject: Re: ....."cartoon gun"....... Reply with quote

Somewhere between 30 and 50....I usually forget...

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » Gun & Firearm Discussions
Page 1 of 2