Photo Albums
 Albums: 308
 Pictures: 2451
  · Views: 820622
  · Votes: 1316
  · Comments: 86

Current State of Canadian Goverment
Discussions run-amok, innane banter it all goes here
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » Spam-O-Rama

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dimitri

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 6:28 pm    Post subject: Current State of Canadian Goverment Reply with quote

Said ain't it? Sad

Dimitri

twofifty

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 7:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Current State of Canadian Goverment Reply with quote

Dimitri, why am I not surprised to see you post something that distorts what is going on right now in Canada? This does not help our American friends understand how our federal governments are formed and dissolved.

In Canada, the Constitution allows any government/Prime Minister (i.e. the Executive branch of govt.-think White House) to be defeated in the House of Commons (our national legislative body composed of Members of Parliament elected by the people; most MPs are members of a political party-think House of Representatives), should a majority of the people's elected MPs decide that enough is enough and they as the people's direct representatives have lost confidence in the Executive.

In other words, in Canada, the Prime Minister and his cabinet (the executive) are elected members of the Legislature and they essentially serve at the will of the straight numerical majority of Legislators elected by the people. If the Executive gets turfed out, it's kinda like Impeachment Lite, but the Prime Minister loses all power; there's no waiting for two terms to get rid of the national leader-think President.

Canadian governments come and go at intervals that can be quite short, but that usually run from 3 to 4 years, sometimes up to five years. We do not have fixed dates for national elections, but the Constitution provides that said elections must occur at least every 5 years.

Should a bill presented by current Primer Minister Harper be voted down in the House next week, the Constitution allows for two outcomes, neither of which are military takeovers or lead to dictatorships as this caricature simplistically implies. The coalition will either take over the Executive powers, or we will have a national election.

Dimitri, please do your homework and stay non-partisan and spin free so that our American cousins can become correctly informed about our form of government.

And please go easy on your perennial Canada bashing.

Edit: gotta admit though that all the shouting and hollering in the House of Commons is getting mighty tiresome. Sheeesh.
Pitt55

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 8:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Current State of Canadian Goverment Reply with quote

We just had an election and the people made their choice! This is a coup if you ask me. It's such a colossal waste of time and money. When Joe Clark was ousted over his budget the liberals following budget was even worse. This just plain sucks!!!
Don

Dimitri

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 9:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Current State of Canadian Goverment Reply with quote

Twofifty,

I know Canadian politics and how it works quite well. If any American members want to learn more about Canadian politics they are free to ask questions and

I see no distortion on a otherwise political cartoon. Like them all they exaggerate the situation. However with ALL the opposition parties combined making only 53% of the seats in government the thought that they somehow are fit to take power is ludicrous. Especially since they are not parties that cannot even manage to get along.

We have a "leaderless leader" who cannot make heads or tails of his own political parties platform, I'll Quote "Do you think it is easy to make priorities?" that wants to be Prime Minister, who by the way is on his way out the door come Spring from his party.

We have a Traitor, oops, I meant "Separatist" ( Rolling Eyes ) who only cares about breaking apart this nation of ours. Wanting Quebec to be special and be represented on its own in international agreements etc, never mind his whole wanting a standing Army controlled by this "Quebec" nation.

And last but not least we have Taliban Jack, do I need to explain why OUR troops nicknamed him this or is it pretty self explanatory?

Never mind if they have even a moment of power you can kiss your firearms goodbye with a single OIC (Like the American Executive Orders) so may as well oil them up and forget about using them again.

Need I say more about the current state of affairs?

Dimitri

twofifty

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 10:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Current State of Canadian Goverment Reply with quote

It's merely a tempest in a teapot, provided these yahoos don't stampede the country to feed their ambitions.
Dimitri

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 9:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Current State of Canadian Goverment Reply with quote

And you trust them that much your willing to give them a chance?

Dimitri

twofifty

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Current State of Canadian Goverment Reply with quote

I trust the average Canadian's common sense and his understanding of our country's underlying strengths and greatness.

Which means that we will work this out in spite of this batch of greedy thoughtless politicians.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » Spam-O-Rama
Page 1 of 1