· Views: 820622
  · Votes: 1316
  · Comments: 86

308vis30/06
Discussions related to Guns and Firearms
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ElyBoy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:17 am    Post subject: Re: 308vis30/06 Reply with quote

In my family D., MEN are MEN and the Women are dang glad of it. Very Happy Very Happy

I'll get another thing going here just to stir the pot a little.

In regards to the 30-30, my Dad used to say that more deer were killed with a 30-30 than any other gun, and more deer were also wounded with the 30-30 than any other gun. Shocked

Eric Roses

NRA Life Member
Dimitri

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:24 am    Post subject: Re: 308vis30/06 Reply with quote

ElyBoy wrote:
In my family D., MEN are MEN and the Women are dang glad of it. Very Happy Very Happy

Yes but it also seems like your trying to over compensate for something with your need of "too much gun". Very Happy

ElyBoy wrote:
In regards to the 30-30, my Dad used to say that more deer were killed with a 30-30 than any other gun, and more deer were also wounded with the 30-30 than any other gun. Shocked

Yes and I know guys who use 338 Win Mags and still manage to just wound moose. Lack of the ability to aim straight, and picking PROPER shot placement will not be "cured" by shooting a big bore magnum rifle. Any popular rifle will have many "wounded and lost" animals attributed to it. But does not mean its not a effective round to use. Its the nut behind the gun who causes the animal to get wounded instead of killing it not the rifle itself.

Just as arguing which one is better between the 308Win and 30-06Spring is pointless as with proper shot placement will both result in dead animals. Wink

Dimitri

Bushmaster

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:36 am    Post subject: Re: 308vis30/06 Reply with quote

Yup...Looks like they are going to ignore me too, Mike. These .308 and .30-06 people are sooo hung up on this futile subject that it's almost like obamamania...

DEMOCRACY Two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for lunch...
LIBERTY A well armed sheep contesting the outcome of the vote...
Dimitri

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:38 am    Post subject: Re: 308vis30/06 Reply with quote

Bushy,

We talked about your 30-30 abit. Laughing

Dimitri

A17Shooter

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:45 am    Post subject: Re: 308vis30/06 Reply with quote

Oh god, is it still January? I decided to read this whole thing and lost track of time. I'll still take the 17 AH for critters up to coyote. Very Happy Yes, I have two 308's. But I regret getting rid of my 30-06's. One '06 was a cherry 03-A3 and the other was a Ruger #1. Actually just rebarreled the #1 to a 17. Very Happy

Have a good day,

ElyBoy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:08 am    Post subject: Re: 308vis30/06 Reply with quote

Hey Bushy, I don't even own a 308 or 30-06 any more.

Traded my Browning Model 81 .308 for a Model 81 .358, and didn't like the long action on my Browning Lever 30-06 even though it would drive tacks at 100yds.
Traded it to my Nephew for my Dad's old Model 71 .348, that my Brother gave to him.

Eric

NRA Life Member
chambered221

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:04 pm    Post subject: Re: 308vis30/06 Reply with quote

Hey Pumpkin !!!

Give me a little more barrel than my model 7 (20") and I'll take you on with my 7MM-08 Poke

A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.
~George Washington
Dawgdad

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 2:34 pm    Post subject: Re: 308vis30/06 Reply with quote

Somebody take Lester out behind the woodshed for starting this thread and take his beer priveleges for a week.

Somewhere in this four page diatribe I picked up that you are asking about SHTF survival ammo chambering. I would have to go way down the line here and say .22 rimfire should be that choice. You will be a hundred times more likey to find a stash of that in some house or store than the military calibers if order breaks down.

If you are anticipating an internal meltdown and chaos ensuing from civil unrest within our borders .223 or .308 (5.56 Nato and 7.62Nato) would be the ammo used by our troops and national guard sent to control the warring masses.

If you are envisioning a Red Dawn scenario where after a nuclear strike the foreign invaders reach our shores...the 7.62x39 used by the AK's are ubiquitous as water around the world and the short list of invading forces would likely use this family of cartridge.

As far as 30-06, not likely to find much of that out side of Port Clinton Ohio or Anniston Alabama.

Best advice --- Rat hole whatever caliber and reloading supplies you have and can get now so you have an emergency stash of you own. If you are counting on looking for a stash of ammo you will probaly pick up a stash of rifles in the same place. Or like me --- have one gun in each caliber so you have it covered. Very Happy

gelandangan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 3:52 pm    Post subject: Re: 308vis30/06 Reply with quote

ElyBoy wrote:

or my favorite, the 45/70.
Eric

Cheers Yeah.. Great minds thinks alike Cheers

Do - Not try!

gelandangan.weebly.com/
lesterg3

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 4:10 pm    Post subject: Re: 308vis30/06 Reply with quote

Dawgdad

Ya can have the beer, but not the Scotch.

I never asked which caliber was better.

As you stated I was only interested in which cartridge would be easier to find in the event of any of the scenarios you mention.

Being relatively new to the forum, I had no idea the can of worms I was opening.

Actually, I want one or more of each caliber and am stocking up as much as possible.

Again, sorry but I was unaware of the long standing dispute between .308 and 30-06 owners, why argue get 'em both.

Shot big bullets out of the -06 and smaller bullets out of the .308.

Your point on the 22 is well taken, but I would hope to take out my quarry at a distance greater than the 22 can manage.

The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government. -- Thomas Jefferson

"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed - unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms."--James Madison

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." Thomas Jefferson.

NRA Life Member
Vietnam War Vet 68-69
Bushmaster

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 4:30 pm    Post subject: Re: 308vis30/06 Reply with quote

And the "caliber wars" were on... Very Happy

mulletboy
Rookie Member
Rookie Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 4:50 pm    Post subject: Re: 308vis30/06 Reply with quote

30-30 a 30-30, thats the way to go, great for 100, 150yds out great in brush i got 2 deer with mine both dubel lung and they ran not 40yds and droped Sniper Misc

ElyBoy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 5:45 pm    Post subject: Re: 308vis30/06 Reply with quote

Double lunged and went 40 yards Mulletboy??
I could do that good with a slingshot. Very Happy Very Happy

Hey Lester, no problem on this post.
We are all having fun with it.
When you get to know us, you'll know what I mean. Laughing Laughing

Eric

NRA Life Member
Bushmaster

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 7:15 pm    Post subject: Re: 308vis30/06 Reply with quote

I bet you couldn't even hit the broad side of a barn with a slingshot standing inside with all the windows boarded over and the doors shut...

Dimitri

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 7:20 pm    Post subject: Re: 308vis30/06 Reply with quote

Judging by his previous comment on needing the biggest ultra-super-duper magnum rifle he can get his hands on to kill deer I got to agree Busy! Very Happy Laughing Very Happy

Dimitri

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » Gun & Firearm Discussions
Page 4 of 7