· Views: 824013
  · Votes: 1316
  · Comments: 86

Barrel length vs velocity
Discussions related to Guns and Firearms
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kbis

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 10:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Barrel length vs velocity Reply with quote

I don't know about you guys, but I will stick with a longer barrel. I really don't notice the difference when carrying it thru the woods and I feel like I am getting more for the buck Smile .
Handloader

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 10:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Barrel length vs velocity Reply with quote

1895ss wrote:
Handloader, Toilet Claw Toilet Claw Thumbs Down Sleep Bonk Idea Question Argue Ignore

1895ss: that actually had some element of humor. Low brow, but, humor nonetheless. Thanks.
Bushmaster

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 11:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Barrel length vs velocity Reply with quote

Good for you handloader. Don't EVER loose your sense of humor. I know it's tough sometimes, but...

DEMOCRACY Two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for lunch...
LIBERTY A well armed sheep contesting the outcome of the vote...
1895ss

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 1:04 am    Post subject: Re: Barrel length vs velocity Reply with quote

Handloader wrote:
1895ss wrote:
Handloader, Toilet Claw Toilet Claw Thumbs Down Sleep Bonk Idea Question Argue Ignore

1895ss: that actually had some element of humor. Low brow, but, humor nonetheless. Thanks.

Handloader it was meant to be humourous. I am sorry if I offended you........... Sad

Spacedone

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 8:57 am    Post subject: Re: Barrel length vs velocity Reply with quote

barrel lenght need depends alot on what your hunting/shooting at.

for most game/targets at upto about 600 yards any barrel lenght will do a acceptable job.

longer thicker barrels are mainly for long long accurate ranges. ie a 18 inch normal 30-06 barrel will work better than most shooters can actually shoot at any given normal shooting distance. while a longer heavier bull barrel will be more accurate at extreme ranges of say 600-1200 yards which truth be told 1200 yards is way to long to really be shooting at game.

its called advertising.

"BUY THIS NEW IMPROVED SUPER ACCURATE BARREL FOR A GUN YOU CANT POSSIBLY OUTSHOOT FOR A COST WHICH WILL MAKE YOUR WIFE MAD AT YOU BUT ITS NEW NEW NEW NEW"

my 1942 enfield longbranch will shoot 600 yards accurately enough to kill anything it shoots at if the shooter can hit anything himself at 600 yards and you can buy one just like it for about 200 dollars while my friends 1867 sharps will shoot accurately 1200 yards very well for compatition. after a certain lenght barrles will decrease the FPS your bullet will travel.

you dont need more or more expensive. you need practice which most of us myself included dont get enough of.
Handloader

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 9:44 am    Post subject: Re: Barrel length vs velocity Reply with quote

Handloader it was meant to be humourous. I am sorry if I offended you........... :sad:[/quote]

Offended? Me? Not at all; I'm used to it. When I did my thesis the main criticism was that it was "too wordy"; I had to cut it in half and, even then it was too long. Believe it or not I am not a verbose person but I admit to saying far too little with far too many words. My "little" post was an attempt to respond to two inquires about some of the terminology I used. In re-reading it I almost fell asleep myself!

But, the barrel length issue hopefully has been addressed enough to provide a guideline for anyone wishing to consider it.

Onward!
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » Gun & Firearm Discussions
Page 3 of 3