Pictures: 2451
  · Views: 820725
  · Votes: 1316
  · Comments: 86

New on the market
Discussions related to Guns and Firearms

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bushmaster

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 5:03 pm    Post subject: New on the market Reply with quote

I just received my August American Rifleman. And low and behold, a new sighting device has entered the market.

I have manufacturer installed Crimson Trace laser sights on my Kimber UCC II. They have functioned quite well and have proven to not only be effective but a neat training device. What do I mean "training device? When you make your draw you get a real time idea where you have aquired the target. It also helps you with trigger and grip problems in that you can see what is happening when you start to pull the trigger. But enough of this. On to the new product.

I ran across an add for a new type or style of laser sight that is incorperated in the rear sight. Looks impressive from a technology standpoint. Has anyone had a chance to try these?

www.laserlyte.com

DEMOCRACY Two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for lunch...
LIBERTY A well armed sheep contesting the outcome of the vote...
Pumpkinslinger

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 7:50 pm    Post subject: Re: New on the market Reply with quote

I haven't seen that one before but it looks interesting! I'd like to see more extensive testing though.

"I ain't no better than anybody else, and there ain't nobody better than me!" Ma Kettle
Bushmaster

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 7:53 pm    Post subject: Re: New on the market Reply with quote

One of the things I determined is that I'm always bumping the rear sight on my Kimber UCC II when I open carry, which is most of the time. I wonder if it could hold up to that very long.

fnuser

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 3:03 pm    Post subject: Re: New on the market Reply with quote

does the battery go where?

fnuser

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 3:07 pm    Post subject: Re: New on the market Reply with quote

nevermind one hour battery life would go dead the first time I played, showed off with it.

Bushmaster

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 4:11 pm    Post subject: Re: New on the market Reply with quote

Not just where the battery goes, but having to reach up to turn it on or turn it to pulse or off might just be a pain. If you have some idea how Crimson trace works this one may not be your cup of tea (coffee). They seem to say that once on it on continuous until you push the button(?) to shut it off. Crimson Trace has a on/off switch and activation switch. Even with the on/off switch in the on position no power drain occurs until you grip the gun. And the batteries in the Crimson Trace are good for 4 hours steady on. They also recommend that you change batteries once a year.

This sight is only good for 1 to 2 hours. At a guess I think that the batteries go in one of the nodes of the sight (?).....

Last edited by Bushmaster on Tue Jul 21, 2009 6:38 am; edited 1 time in total
fnuser

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 4:19 pm    Post subject: Re: New on the market Reply with quote

me too neither

Handloader

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 8:05 pm    Post subject: Re: New on the market Reply with quote

Bushmaster wrote:
excerpted . . .

I have manufacturer installed Crimson Trace laser sights on my Kimber UCC II. They have functioned quite well and have proven to not only be effective but a neat training device. What do I mean "training device? When you make your draw you get a real time idea where you have aquired the target. It also helps you with trigger and grip problems in that you can see what is happening when you start to pull the trigger.

That is a great point Bushy. One of the valid uses for the laser is exactly as you describe. Too, if one sights a target while dry firing, the laser will reveal much about how the trigger release will affect point of impact. In some cases, it is amazing how consistent someone will pull the handgun to one side or another, up or down. This allows some modification of hold to correct the POI.

One of the great treats with a laser is in teasing the cat(s). They seem to go wild for it. I have a green laser and its simply a lot of fun.

Bushy: on your Kimber, when you carry do you leave the laser switch in the "on" position? Is there a battery life expectancy with yours?
Bushmaster

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 8:19 pm    Post subject: Re: New on the market Reply with quote

My cat, a Russian Blue, hates the red laser of my Kimber and leaves the room in a huff.

I've had this UCC II for 9 months now and the switch has never been turned off (I'm afraid I might forget to turn it on and need it). I've played with it (and the cat) a lot and it's still bright as it was when I bought it. The instructions say to change out the two batteries (one in each grip panel [$3 to $4 at Wally-World]) once a year. They go on to say that it is good for 4 hours on steady... In the dark I have spotted the trees about a quarter mile away...

Handloader

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 8:31 pm    Post subject: Re: New on the market Reply with quote

Russian Blue? Coincidentally, my 18 year old cat is of the same breed. Smart cats.

Thanks for the info on the laser. Crimson Trace has been the mainstay of lasers we sell due to reliability and the fact that a handgun so equipt doesn't need a special holster. If we look at Ruger and Kimber, others as well, we find it is the most commonly used factory installed laser and for good reason. There are cheaper lasers out there, but, none seem to out peform the CT.
Bushmaster

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 8:47 pm    Post subject: Re: New on the market Reply with quote

Mine's 14 years old...Yes...And smart...And noisy...

When lasers first came out I was not impressed with them. Probably because my eyes were next to perfect back then. Now with the need for store bought reading glasses to see the sights on any firearm I find the laser an attribute to any handgun along with a lot of point shooting practice.

This laser and handgun are carried from the time my eyes open to until I close them at night (0700 to 2400). I'm impressed with both...

Do I get paid for this tesimonial? Laughing

sniper

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 6:31 am    Post subject: Re: New on the market Reply with quote

Bushy...I saw the AR ad, and thought it was very interesting, till I saw it fits only Glocks.
Is your laser effective in full daylight & up to what range? It seems like it would be a great addition to a my Smith & Wesson, can get grips for it, whereas the new invention seems a bit limited in application.
Bushmaster

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 6:48 am    Post subject: Re: New on the market Reply with quote

In bright sun light it's only good for close range. In shaded day light it works out to 25+ yards. In the house or building It seems to reach out quite a ways. It is limited in what it can do in bright sun light. That's why I recommend lots of point shooting practice to compliment the laser.

The advantages are that it adds nothing to the weight of the gun and takes up little or no space. And will fit any holster without being modified. You only have that little raised (less then 1/4") ridge about an inch long on the right side top of the grip panel. It's an added tool to aid those that need reading glasses, but do not need glasses for anything else. It's adjusted (using a very tiny allen wrench) just like a scope. I found it very accurate to POA at 25 yards and 25 feet (where I set mine).

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » Gun & Firearm Discussions
Page 1 of 1