· Comments: 86

Slug Guns
Discussions related to Guns and Firearms
Go to page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shrpshtrjoe
Super Red Neck Member
Super Red Neck Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 6:06 pm    Post subject: Slug Guns Reply with quote

Howdy. Was wanting opinions on slug guns. There are a lot of managed hunts in Md that are shotgun only. When i lived in Chester co Pa it was a shotgun only area so i have a good bit of expierence hunting with them. I had a Ithica deer slayer set up thats sole purpose was slugs and it was a fine gun. When i moved to Md I sold it Sad . I have a rem 1100 i use now that I switch the barrels on the slug barrel is a smoothbore witch shoots pretty good but if i'm gonna slug hunt more i think i wan't to go with a rifled barrel. I could just get a rifled cantileaver barrel for it but i like the idea of having a dedicated slug gun. What have you guy's had luck with.
Thanks
Joe

P E T A
People Eating Tasty Animals
515034s10ring

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 7:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Slug Guns Reply with quote

If you want a dedicated Slug gun i would suggest over anything a Harrington & Richardson 'Ultra Slug Hunter'. Back about 5 years ago when i first started seeing (and selling) them, i was skeptic because it's a tank and ugly......nothing wrong though, just my first impression.
Then i shot one and couldn't believe holding 1" @ 100 yards and 1.5" @ 150 yards with the (at that time) new Winchester Partition Gold slugs.

So i told a good customer about it and he bought one that very day......i think it was $200 back then? About a week later, he comes to visit me with pictures and targets, with a disgusted look on his face (he was jokin around with me) and then showed me pictures of a fine lookin 8 pt. that he took at 200 yards and dropped him!!!! Then with a big smile he showed me a rangmaster signed target with 5" groups @ 250 yrads! Shocked Trust me, you have to shoot it to believe it, and with some of the new slugs out now, no problem holding some rifle like accuracy.

Oh btw, scope mount is included Cool

shrpshtrjoe
Super Red Neck Member
Super Red Neck Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 8:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Slug Guns Reply with quote

Hey 10ring was just checking it out on there web site. It looks pretty nice i will look for one in a shop and check it better but it apears to be what i'm looking for thanks for the help.
Joe

P E T A
515034s10ring

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 8:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Slug Guns Reply with quote

No prob Joe Cheers But again, i will say it's not for the faint at heart, because this thing is a TANK with a capital T! BUT, if you can overcome the weight, you will enjoy shooting a 12ga bull barrel shotgun Very Happy

Shomebigbores

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 1:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Slug Guns Reply with quote

ShrpstrJoe,

I have one I really like. Winchester 1300. I shot poa at 75 yds and thought is was a fluke so I tried it three more three shot sets and I either have an exceptional weapon or Winchester has the best slug barell. I hit the bullseye each time and this was offhand standing like you will be when hunting.

My other guns are .458 caliber.

Walt

If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace..... May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -- Samuel Adams

One ought never to turn one's back on a threatened danger and try to run away from it. If you do that, you will double the danger. But if you meet it promptly and without flinching, you will reduce the danger by half.
Sir Winston Churchill
shrpshtrjoe
Super Red Neck Member
Super Red Neck Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 4:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Slug Guns Reply with quote

Welcome to the HuntingNut Walt sit and stay awhile Very Happy

P E T A
Gil Martin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 6:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Slug Guns Reply with quote

I started out mounting B-Square saddle scope mounts on a 12 gauge and a 16 gauge 870s. Out to 75 yards, these guns with 2 1/2 scopes and Foster slugs shot very well. Then I was in a gun shop and saw an excellent Marlin Model 512 slug gun on the used gun rack. I got it cheap and put a 4X scope on it. That gun will really shoot Lightfield sabots. The only problem is the cost of the sabots. All the best...
Gil

Shomebigbores

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 9:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Slug Guns Reply with quote

By the by, I just read my own post and I must confess, I was using a very large bullseye. (1 ft. diameter) I'm not sure my Winchester would do 5.5 groups at 250 yards though. Thats almost my limit with my 1895. (open sights) I was shooting tighter groups inside the 1 ft., but just wanted to fess up on my statement.

I hear that Winchester automatic is also very good and fast as well. If I change that's the way I will go. You can buy a practical autoloader from Winchester with 8 round magazine too, for personal protection etc.
RPM1031

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 4:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Slug Guns Reply with quote

I have a 12 ga NEF single shot slug gun with a bull barrel. Found it to be very accurate with Lightfield Hybred Exp.

shrpshtrjoe
Super Red Neck Member
Super Red Neck Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 4:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Slug Guns Reply with quote

I just got back from the gun shop with my new H @ R ultra slug gun. 10ring your right this thing is a tank Very Happy . Mounted a 3-9 Nikon Buckmaster scope on it. Bought some of the Hornady sst 300grain sabots ( $11.50 for a box of 5 "OUCH" Shocked ) so i'm off to the range in the morn to sight it in. I hope it doesn't take to many shots I'll go broke Laughing I have heard good things about this slug gun I'll let ya's no tommorow Very Happy
Joe

P E T A
515034s10ring

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 5:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Slug Guns Reply with quote

Well, i am glad to hear you went with that combination Joe Very Happy I'm sure the SST's will fare well and you will appreciate the "tankness" of the slug gun when you touch one off Very Happy

If ya bore sight it you should be able to get within a 3 shot zero, and start cloverleafing Cool

shrpshtrjoe
Super Red Neck Member
Super Red Neck Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 8:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Slug Guns Reply with quote

515034s10ring wrote:
Well, i am glad to hear you went with that combination Joe Very Happy I'm sure the SST's will fare well and you will appreciate the "tankness" of the slug gun when you touch one off Very Happy

If ya bore sight it you should be able to get within a 3 shot zero, and start cloverleafing Cool

The thing weighs 9 pounds with out the scope but that should suck up some of the recoil. I have a laser boresiter for .17 through 50cal but i don't have one yet for shotguns ( It's on my wish list) so Ill wing it tommorow I'll put up a large back stop and hope i hit paper on the first shot (lol) those sst's are suppose to be a great sabot's I'll find out in the mornin. Thanks for your input on it 10ring.
Joe

P E T A
515034s10ring

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 9:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Slug Guns Reply with quote

Well, for sure when you are done playing with "Sherman" Laughing tomorrow, do let me know and give us a good detail range report. Cool

You could always take a slug out of the shell (NOT A SST) drill the center for your boresight arbor and loosely persuade it in to the bore Shocked .....Yes, i am guilty.......But it did get me on paper Very Happy

NO...for people that DON'T know about firearms do i suggest doing this because you WILL damage your barrel with out the right tools and proper knowledge!

Crackshot

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 12:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Slug Guns Reply with quote

I have an Ithica Model 87 dedicated slug gun(barrel is permanently attached, and rifled) it shoots very, very well with my own Lyman slugs cast from wheel weights.
View user's profile ICQ Number AIM Address MSN Messenger Yahoo Messenger Photo Gallery
shrpshtrjoe
Super Red Neck Member
Super Red Neck Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 12:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Slug Guns Reply with quote

WOW Shocked Shocked this is a 3 shot group @ 75yds. H@R 12ga Ultra slug gun, 300 grain sst's. This is the best shooting slug gun i have ever seen Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

And due to the weight of the gun it don't kick too bad either Awsome slug gun Party

Joe

P E T A
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » Gun & Firearm Discussions
Page 1 of 2