· Views: 824104
  · Votes: 1316
  · Comments: 86

left hand bolt guns
Discussions related to Guns and Firearms
Go to page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
longwalker

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 2:15 pm    Post subject: left hand bolt guns Reply with quote

Soon my son will depart for college or the service. I'm not sure which. Regardless, I want to get him a bolt gun. He shots my right hand guns well enough but it seems that a left hand rifle would serve him better. My brother claims it doesn't matter, lefty/righty they all shot the same and almost as fast on second shot. Not being a lefty I just don't know?

I have noticed there are very limited choices as to caliber. Which makes no sense to me what so ever, but that does seem to be the case.

Finding a used left hand gun seems to be just as big a problem, any suggestions.

longwalker
Spacedone

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 2:26 pm    Post subject: Re: left hand bolt guns Reply with quote

ive been looking for a good left hand bolt gun for a long time.

mossberg makes a left handed 30 06 800 dollars
remington makes several caliber lefties 4-800 dollars
ruger makes a left handed 22-250 i know 900 dollars

what ive found that interests me is a charles daly left hand 30 06 in superior walnut stock in either i think stainless or highly polished blued steel for 480 dollars at MY gunshop in South central missouri.

ther man who says it doesnt make a difference either isnt left handed or has never shot left handed with a right handed gun. once you scope a right handed rifle it makes a real difference on the second shot. and being FORCED to use something designed for a right handed person which can be effective with practice isnt the same as shooting a gun designed for YOU.
DallanC
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 3:04 pm    Post subject: Re: left hand bolt guns Reply with quote

I'm a lefty and finding certain calibers in LH rifles can be quite hard. Used Rem700LH SA's are *hard* to find because the bench rest guys buy them all up so they can set their cartridges in the chamber without leaning over the rifle as you would have to for a RH gun (grrr lefts competing with other leftys AND rightys for them). I have a MINT Rem700 LH in .243... you wouldnt believe how rare they are, they were only made from 92 to 94.

Anyway Every MFG makes a couple lefty rifles, unless you are looking for a non-standard caliber you should be able to locate something. Also look into the Rugar #1's... they shoot either way and reloading is quite quick with a buttstock bullet carrier.

I own the following LH rifles: WinM70 LH 7STW, Rem700 LH .243, Rem700 LH .270.

I might be interested in selling the .270, I really dont use it much anymore... but its got such a gorgeous stock on it... the best out of all my rifles.

-DallanC
squirrelbait

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 3:33 pm    Post subject: Re: left hand bolt guns Reply with quote

Has anyone looked at Savage?
I used to own a 110 lefty that really shot great.
515034s10ring

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 4:22 pm    Post subject: Re: left hand bolt guns Reply with quote

A lefty can shoot a right handed rifle so as long as it's a straight stock (0 degree cant). Most Rem have a few degree cant to their stocks, which in turn beats the %@$# out of you and your shoulder if you don't shoot that respective hand.

Spacedone

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 4:50 pm    Post subject: Re: left hand bolt guns Reply with quote

i find case ejection to be the biggest drawback to shooting a right handed gun. espessially the bigger calibers as hot brass on the forehead or chest bothers me slightly.

i cant shoot a winchester lever action for just this reason it ejects directly to my forehead.
515034s10ring

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 5:03 pm    Post subject: Re: left hand bolt guns Reply with quote

On a lever action, if you install a slightly stronger extraction spring brass tends to hold a little longer and doesn't crack ya in the noggin Smile

Blaine

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 8:07 pm    Post subject: Re: left hand bolt guns Reply with quote

I own a Savage 110 LH in 270, but all my other rifles are right hand models. I find using them is not a problem for me at all. In fact, because I'm so used to all my right hand bolt models, sometimes the Savage feels a bit awkward !!!

Blaine

coyotehunter_1

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 10:57 pm    Post subject: Re: left hand bolt guns Reply with quote

Bolt action rifles are not easy to come by but good left handed muzzleloaders and shotguns are even harder!

I started out life as right hand/right eye dominate but years ago that changed after suffering an eye injury in an industrial accident. Following two extensive eye surgeries and several weeks in the hospital I was declared legally blind in my right eye. A year later the doctors released me of their care. To continue hunting and shooting it would be necessary to either switch completely to southpaw long guns or train myself to use what I had. This was a challenge. It took time and effort to adjust but I adapted. Using a rifle with iron sights or a shotgun with a bead south pawed comes natural now. To adapt my scoped/iron sighted rifles, using my left eye, I went with high and/or see through scope mounts. The scope mounted this way allows me to acquire the target, both right and left handed. I soon found being versatile comes in quite handy when hunting. As far as lefty firearms, I have a Rem 1100LH 12 gauge, several left handed percussion black powder rifles and a Knight inline that serve me well. Very Happy

Chet

Gil Martin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 4:13 pm    Post subject: Left hand bolt guns Reply with quote

I shoot off the left shoulder and have used right-handed rifles and shotguns since 1958 without any problems. All the best...
Gil

glockman55

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 3:10 pm    Post subject: Re: left hand bolt guns Reply with quote

squirrelbait wrote:

My Dad has a left handed Savage Mod. 110, 270cal.
It shoots as good as the shooter
This is No Bull, My brother shot a nice Muley at 516 yds.
with this gun, I wouldn't have believed it if I wasn't there.
I ranged it for him, he made a few adjustments with the scope,
after a few shots and put one in the ribs, Didn't go all the way through.
You might think this was a low percentage shot, but the last day,Hour left
of daylight. Bullet size 130 gr. Federal.
My max. range is maybe 250 to 300 yd...on a good day Cool
glockman55

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 3:12 pm    Post subject: Re: left hand bolt guns Reply with quote

squirrelbait wrote:

My Dad has a left handed Savage Mod. 110, 270cal.
It shoots as good as the shooter
This is No Bull, My brother shot a nice Muley at 516 yds.
with this gun, I wouldn't have believed it if I wasn't there.
I ranged it for him, he made a few adjustments with the scope,
after a few shots and put one in the ribs, Didn't go all the way through.
You might think this was a low percentage shot, but the last day,Hour left
of daylight. Bullet size 130 gr. Federal.
My max. range is maybe 250 to 300 yd...on a good day Cool
glockman55

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 3:14 pm    Post subject: Re: left hand bolt guns Reply with quote

Why the double take?

Spacedone

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 5:07 pm    Post subject: Re: left hand bolt guns Reply with quote

a lefty shooting right handed is like everyone being forced to hall 1000 gallons of wine in a 200 gallon keg.

with enough trips you can get it done but a 1000 gallon keg works so much better.

just because you can do something one way doesnt mean thats the right way.

in the US 14+% of the actual population is left handed and over 28% of all hunters shoot left handed yet rifle makers only make left handed guns at about 1% of there output and all charge 50 dollars or more per gun made.

i think its discrimmination.

if you think finding a left handed bolt gun is hard try buying a left handed automatic sometimes. it can be done if you guy a 50 year old gun which you will pay a mint for.
Handloader

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 11:36 pm    Post subject: Re: left hand bolt guns Reply with quote

At our store the two most popular LH big game rifles are the Remington CDL and Tikka T3. While we have to search for awhile to get someone the rifle and chambering they want, it usually is successful.

Remington CDLs use a cheekpiece that isn't comfortable for a lefty shooting a righty.

Ruger No1s can be used, but, are made for right handed shooters as well. Note the cut on the action is somewhat easier for a right handed person than left handed.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » Gun & Firearm Discussions
Page 1 of 2