· Views: 824033
  · Votes: 1316
  · Comments: 86

Hi Point Pistols, really
Discussions related to Guns and Firearms
Go to page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Handloader

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 11:01 pm    Post subject: Hi Point Pistols, really Reply with quote

We laugh at Hi Point from time to time. They are almost as ugly as Glocks and seem to be used in lots of low budget crimes. We sneer at them as we fondle the grips of our 1911s, Sigs, etc. Are we handgun snobs or, maybe, overlooking an honest inexpensive handgun? I ordered one today, a 9mm.

The plan is to burn 1,000 rounds of various brands and bullet weights in the Hi Point and evaluate whether this is a turkey or a dependable handgun. Will it be accurate? Hmmmm.

Anyone have experience with Hi Point recently? Care to speculate about the results?
Handloader

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 5:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Hi Point Pistols, really Reply with quote

My Hi Point arrived Monday afternoon and, today, I took it to the range along with 500 rounds of assorted ammo. Before departing, I cleaned the pistol and lubed the proper places. This may be the only gun I own that is uglier than my Glocks, but, not by much.

Failure to feeds occured sporadically for the first 60 rounds, but, from there on there were no failures to feed or extract. By the test's end, trigger pull had lightened from a factory 7lbs to 5.75lbs. Not the greatest trigger, but, no worse than my Beretta 92. The magazines are basic (read, crude) but seem to function with all ammo tested.

Accuracy was better than the Beretta or, for that matter, my S&W M39, although both of these handguns have thousands of rounds through them. My best group, ten shots, ten yards, came with 124gr Federal American Eagle @ a tad under an inch (.925"). Three group aggregate for the same ammo was 1.35". PMC was second best. Federal Hydra Shocks did well, too, but I couldn't afford a 50 round test with these.

How long could accuracy and dependability continue? So far, no noticeable changes after 500rds. Another 500round test will occur next week.

Wear marks on the slide/frame contact pads were normal and nothing appeared battered or worse for wear. Carbon deposits were noticeable under the extractor but washed out with Gun Scrubber, same as my Kimber external extract.

Hi Point is American made and has a lifetime warranty. The right to defend oneself and one's country is intrinsic in the 2nd Ammendment. Hi Point offers a very low cost product that, so far, seems capable of serving the user well. I want to fire, eventually, 5,000 rounds and re-evaluate, so excuse me while I head to the loading room and my Dillon 550.
shrpshtrjoe
Super Red Neck Member
Super Red Neck Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 6:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Hi Point Pistols, really Reply with quote

Howdy Handloader. Sounds like your gonna put through it's paces. Keep us informed of your progress. Let us no how it shoot's the reloads.
Joe

P E T A
People Eating Tasty Animals
DallanC
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 7:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Hi Point Pistols, really Reply with quote

AH HA! I no longer have to be embarrassed to admit I own a Hi-Point 9mm. Oh yea they are ugly but the company is surprisingly friendly and useful.

Mine originally had fixed sights and shot like crap... I called the company and they said "send'er in" which I did and they promptly replaced it with a full adjustable sights model (slide) that was so much better. I havent put the amount of rounds through mine that you have already but I am curious to see how yours works over time.

I personally would have rather had a 1911 or a Glock but at the time I bought the Hi-Point I couldnt afford the others.

-DallanC
Handloader

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 9:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Hi Point Pistols, really Reply with quote

DallanC: tomorrow I am making the Hi Point available to several coworkers at the gunshop and, eventually, to some select customers. I want to shoot this Ugly Duck until it breaks, send it back under warranty when it does, and shoot it until it breaks again. We recently did this with an XD Springfield and it was an informative process.

Time and rounds will tell and I'll share the log book with y'all.
Vince
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 11:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Hi Point Pistols, really Reply with quote

Gidday Handloader. Is the Hi Point the same pistol as the Hi Power? Can't say I've heard of a Hi Point.

Cheers,

Vince

Illegitimi non carborundum
(Never let the bastards grind you down)

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.

"Nulla Si Fa Senza Volonta."
(Without Commitment, Nothing Gets Done)
DallanC
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 12:00 am    Post subject: Re: Hi Point Pistols, really Reply with quote

Vince wrote:
Gidday Handloader. Is the Hi Point the same pistol as the Hi Power? Can't say I've heard of a Hi Point.

Cheers,

Vince

LOL no... isnt Hi-Power made by Browning? I'm not highly knowlegable about pistols per say...

Hi-Point however are heavy cheap cast blocks of Pot Metal ... some complete with nice racing stripes (LOL). They are hands down the ugliest guns out there. For true uglyness check out their 9mm carbine... WHEWWWWWWWWEEEEEE UUUUUUUUUGGGGGGGGLLLLYYYYYYY

www.mkssupply.com/

(mines a pure black model without the compensator they seem to be putting on them now).

-DallanC
DallanC
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 12:08 am    Post subject: Re: Hi Point Pistols, really Reply with quote

Just noticed this article on Hi-Points from shooting times... quite favorable all things concidered.

www.shootingtimes.com/...nt_100605/

-DallanC
Vince
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 5:54 am    Post subject: Re: Hi Point Pistols, really Reply with quote

Gidday Dallan,

WOW, you ain't kiddin' when you say UGLY !!! The pistol looks like it was designed by a crack addict and the carbine ????? It looks like it is made from a conglomeration of many different firearms, some from the early 1900's. They say beauty is only skin deep, but UGLY goes right to the bone ! I don't think that is enough to really describe these things.

At least the manufacturer has the guts to stand behind their product with an unlimited warranty. I suppose that so long as the things work the way they are meant to one can't complain too much.

Cheers, Vince

Illegitimi non carborundum
(Never let the bastards grind you down)

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.

"Nulla Si Fa Senza Volonta."
(Without Commitment, Nothing Gets Done)
Crackshot

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 6:38 am    Post subject: Re: Hi Point Pistols, really Reply with quote

The carbine is ugly, though very useful. Mine came with a red dot sight and will hold on to 2" @ 50 yards and has taken its share of critters, never jams and shoots what ever I feed it.

Handloader

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 10:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Hi Point Pistols, really Reply with quote

Follow Up: Now with 1,000 rounds through it, the Hi Point has had one failure to extract. That came after 360 rounds fired as fast as we could load the magazines and no cleaning. We were shooting American Eagle ammo, some cast bullet loads and Federal Hydra Shock.

Four of us, so far, have abused this cheap handgun and all agree that it is as advertised. So far. One of the shooters has ordered one for himself.

Accuracy has remained acceptable and on par with other 9mms used for comparison. In some cases, it is slightly better. The adjustable sights are useful as the gun didn't shoot to point of aim when new.

One thing I don't like is the disassembly proceedure. It is overly complex and difficult for most, not unlike a Ruger 22 auto pistol. We have used the Bore Snake and Gun Scrubber for most cleaning chores and it seems to run fine after minimal maintenance followed by a judicious application of Break Free.

It is still ugly, but, is beginning to endear itself. Grudgingly.
shrpshtrjoe
Super Red Neck Member
Super Red Neck Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 5:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Hi Point Pistols, really Reply with quote

Howdy. Sounds like it's doin alright. I might have to give one a try in .40S@W. It sounds like there a pretty good deal for the money. keep us posted on your test Very Happy
Joe

P E T A
People Eating Tasty Animals
jkrizan82718
Rookie Member
Rookie Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 11:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Hi Point Pistols, really Reply with quote

I've had a hi-point JH 45 ACP for 1-1/2 years now. Sent it in for warranty repair and they repaired much more than I expected. Original problem was a "tit" under the left pistol grip cover that either broke off when I opened it or was a factory error. DON'T PULL THE LEFT GRIP COVER OFF AS THERE REALLY ISN'T ANYTHING UNDER THERE! The "tit" is an attachment point for a spring that operates a lever you can see forward of the trigger guard and just under the slide. The "tit" slips into a hole in the grip. Its part of the plastic frame so you have to be extremely careful when removing or reassembling the left grip! They replaced the firing pin and a bunch of other parts, cleaned it up real nice and sent me a spare clip for my troubles. I got it back in 10 days from the time I shipped it. Was also having frequent jams. Factory said that was due to the ammo I was using. Was using some Silver Bear that I picked up cheap. Guess it's back to the reloading bench now. My only complaint is that it's so nose heavy that I have to really work to hold it up when shooting single handed.
I shot 750 rounds thru it before I sent it in. Also I never did clean it. I kept forgetting to pick up cleaning rod attachments. Plan to pick up needed cleaning supplies when I pick up the pistol next week.
Handloader

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 12:51 am    Post subject: Re: Hi Point Pistols, really Reply with quote

Update: we have been shooting about 150 rounds a week through the Hi Point, Model 9C. Everyone at the gunshop where I work has taken it out to the range and all have reported basically the same story -- no failures to feed, extract reported.

Accuracy has been average for 7yds, about on par with the Sig 226 we have also been testing. For the past five weeks (about 700+ rounds) there has been no attempt to clean or lubricate this pistol. In total, there have been 1,350 rounds fired, mostly American Eagle 124gr FMJ. We have fired 100 rounds of the premium stuff (Fed HydraShock, Speer Gold Dot, and, my favorite, Winchester's SXT.

The attrocious trigger pull has smoothed out enough to feel a definite difference.

For those that need an economical "tool", the Hi Point seems to merit consideration. Afterall, it isn't any uglier than a Glock or XD (smiles).
Handloader

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 7:45 am    Post subject: Re: Hi Point Pistols, really Reply with quote

Hi Point Update: the handgun has now passed the 2,500 round mark and in the process a lot of things have smoothed out. The trigger pull has become more consistent, accuracy is very good and no failures to feed or extract have been noted.

The first teardown occured at 1,500 rounds. Disassembly is too complex and, probably, unnecessary. It involves punching a pin and carefully observing the step by step proceedures. In its place, I would use Gun Scrubber and a good aerosol lubricant, much like we do on the Ruger 22 auto pistols.

While the Hi Point hasn't endeared itself to me, I would have a hard time selling a handgun like this that has proven itself reliable and accurate. If this sample of one is any indicator, the brand is a good choice for those wishing to have a low end but reliable handgun.

This will be my last post on the Hi Point subject as two new projects are in store. We have a PS90 and a PLR16 ready for some serious testing! My trigger finger has a terrible itch that needs scratching.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » Gun & Firearm Discussions
Page 1 of 2