Albums: 308
 Pictures: 2451
  · Views: 820725
  · Votes: 1316
  · Comments: 86

yote newbe
By Popular Demand: Discussions related to Varmint Hunting
Go to page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » Varmint Hunting

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tjparker_81

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:39 pm    Post subject: yote newbe Reply with quote

I'm a newbe at hunting in general but I'm getting the itch now.

I've read a few threads bout these yotes and learned a lil bit so now I can't wait try em out.

My area has a few restrictions as far a no e-calls. Only .22 rifles or shot no bigger than a bb but any size cal. side arm without a butt stock. Wouldn't want that on my pistol anyway. No scopes, laser sights, light enhancing, etc. I'm fine with that too. Don't need to be fancy for some dogs.

I know of a couple of spots where they've been roaming but does any body know some areas around Georgia/Carolina?

I could use a few pointers on what to do with my kills(if any). I don't want to just pop em and be done with it. I'll get my hands dirty and take care of my mess. Like how to get a good pelt and what to do with it.

Can't wait to share some stories.

Elvis

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 7:05 pm    Post subject: Re: yote newbe Reply with quote

with those restrictions on calibre I personally would be using 12ga with superx #2 and #BBs . no we dont have yotes over here but our wallabies are about the same size and weight .
welcome aboard and if someone hasnt done so yet get yourself a stump to sit on and grab a beer from Vinces cooler.

44marty

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 7:41 pm    Post subject: Re: yote newbe Reply with quote

Wow - No scopes? Can us older folks get an eye doctor's note to get around this?

The strength of the wolf is in the pack; the strength of the pack is in the wolf. ~ R. Kipling

I LOVE YOU, LADY LUCK !!!
HayCreek

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:53 pm    Post subject: Re: yote newbe Reply with quote

Man, that's a lot of restrictions! You have your task cut out for you.

Don't know what they're like down in your neck of the woods, but up here in the Dakotas they get call savvy pretty quickly. We have a large population around my area this year and I expect to pop a few. I have 'em coming around the house nearly every evening, just when it's too dark to shoot. Even had one in the back yard giving out a challenge call. Now that's brazen!

Waited for him the next night. Set up the .204 on a bipod, slid the sliding glass door open, kept the lights off and waited. He never showed up. Mad

There are some places out here that will take the whole coyote, so you don't have to skin 'em. May be some outfits like that in your area.

Get yourself a couple of calls. One that mimics a coyote and another that mimics a rabbit. Then practice, practice, practice.

When you start calling, be sure you remain as still as possible. They're quick to spot movement. But when they're convinced there's food on the table, they're like a dog zoned in on a rabbit...total focus.

Watch your down wind. They will often circle around to pick up a scent. Hunt with a partner to watch for that.

Good luck! And share some pics. Smile
Suzanne

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:15 pm    Post subject: Re: yote newbe Reply with quote

Hey Tjparker nice to meet you. You have to visit Varmint Al's web site if you haven't already. He has just about all the info. you need for newbies and also go to YouTube, here's a sample of videos on skinning coyotes.

Aint tryin to get rid of ya tho!!! There's a guy on here that makes coyote callers (I think he's still on here) that'll knock your socks off.

Suz
handing
you a
beverage

tjparker_81

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:24 pm    Post subject: Re: yote newbe Reply with quote

That's a great site Suz. I glanced at some but I will defiantly get back to it later.
Thanks.

Suzanne

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 5:50 pm    Post subject: Re: yote newbe Reply with quote

I made one of the home-made coyote e-callers. Simple to do, they have free down-loadable calls too. I use a small digital mp-3 player but made the mistake of also putting music on it. So what it does, is play the calls, then goes right into music. Gotta remedy that....haven't tried it outdoors but it works and very loud. Some places you can't use them but you can download the calls and learn to mimic the sounds.

Suz

tjparker_81

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 6:54 pm    Post subject: Re: yote newbe Reply with quote

Suzanne wrote:
I made one of the home-made coyote e-callers. Simple to do, they have free down-loadable calls too. I use a small digital mp-3 player but made the mistake of also putting music on it. So what it does, is play the calls, then goes right into music.

Yeah I seen that on the site. At least I can use an e-call. There is no restriction of that.
With yours if the call doesn't bring them then you could dance around a bit out in the woods.

I did talk to a buddy about the land behind his house and he said the guy that owns it has some stands out and he does call for them from time to time.
I may be able to get up with that guy and go out there with him.

gunhaus
Rookie Member
Rookie Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 10:01 am    Post subject: Re: yote newbe Reply with quote

You know those restrictions only apply to night hunting right? Coyotes can be hunted year round in most areas of SC on private land. During the day centerifres, scopes, and all the other goddies are legal, at least according to the SCDNR.

I sell a lot of 17, and 20 cal bullets to a fellow from SC and he's turned a few loose on coyotes.
-John
tjparker_81

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 8:22 pm    Post subject: Re: yote newbe Reply with quote

Yeah after talking with a few guys that call they told me they never heard of that, but they don't go at night either. I've been reading up and talking to a few guys and they say that the coyotes around here aren't that cunning and will come to just about any call. One guy said even sirens will stir them up. If nothing else is going on I may go out next Saturday to a place I know of and call with a rabbit call.

44marty

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 10:50 pm    Post subject: Re: yote newbe Reply with quote

Here in MA we also have similar restrictions for night hunting - .22 or shotgun. The one that kills me is NO LIGHTS allowed when hunting coyote at night. WTF ??

The strength of the wolf is in the pack; the strength of the pack is in the wolf. ~ R. Kipling

I LOVE YOU, LADY LUCK !!!
dhc4ever

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 11:29 pm    Post subject: Re: yote newbe Reply with quote

44marty wrote:
Here in MA we also have similar restrictions for night hunting - .22 or shotgun. The one that kills me is NO LIGHTS allowed when hunting coyote at night. WTF ??

Are they quoting "visible" light or do they include IR in there as well?
If not there is some good quality Gen 2 Night vision and infra red laser stuff around that will do the job.

Dont do anything you wont like explaining to the paramedics..............
tjparker_81

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:29 am    Post subject: Re: yote newbe Reply with quote

It states that there is no sight enhancing device allowed. IR, night vision, scope, or light attached to your rifle. You can have a light though.

Dawgdad

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 5:08 am    Post subject: Re: yote newbe Reply with quote

tjparker_81 wrote:
Yeah after talking with a few guys that call they told me they never heard of that, but they don't go at night either. I've been reading up and talking to a few guys and they say that the coyotes around here aren't that cunning and will come to just about any call. One guy said even sirens will stir them up. If nothing else is going on I may go out next Saturday to a place I know of and call with a rabbit call.

Experience will be a great teacher for you. Get out and see what works for you. The siren can be useful for locating the coyotes as can a passing train that blows its whistle. I use a howler call to locate with too.

Once you have an idea where they are you cna slip in and use the dinner bell, imean rabbit call in that area. They will try to get down wind of you so always make sure you have vision and a shooting lane that direction.

tjparker_81

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 9:35 am    Post subject: Re: yote newbe Reply with quote

I was hoping to try 'em out this weekend but my wife informed me that it's our anniversary weekend. I asked her to come with me then but I've yet to hear a response......

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » Varmint Hunting
Page 1 of 2