Coppermine Stats
Photo Albums
 Albums: 308
 Pictures: 2451
  · Views: 820725
  · Votes: 1316
  · Comments: 86

22 Cal Bullets ?
Discussion regarding the reloading of ammunition and tuning of loads for accuracy
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » Reloading Ammunition

View previous topic :: View next topic  
shrpshtrjoe
Super Red Neck Member
Super Red Neck Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 1:46 pm    Post subject: 22 Cal Bullets ? Reply with quote

Howdy. Looking for opinions for 22 cal bullets. I will hopefully be getting my new gun soon (after the taxs) i have decided on 223. I shoot a lot of nosler bullets i think there one of the best. The ballistic tip is hard to beat for accuracy. Was thinking on 55 grainers. Any other suggestions Question Thanx

P E T A
People Eating Tasty Animals
Knifeboy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 1:55 pm    Post subject: Re: 22 Cal Bullets ? Reply with quote

Sounds like a good Idea to me. Is this the gun you are looking to mount the new scope on?
What made you decide on the 223?
Not saying you aint getting one heck of a gun just wondering?

Knifeboy
Knifeboy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 2:00 pm    Post subject: Re: 22 Cal Bullets ? Reply with quote

Hey Joe,
I was just looking at the ballistics page on the Nosler website and I didnt see any 55 grainers from Nosler. Where did you find them? I remington makes some.

Thanks,
Knifeboy
shrpshtrjoe
Super Red Neck Member
Super Red Neck Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 2:03 pm    Post subject: Re: 22 Cal Bullets ? Reply with quote

Howdy Knifeboy. I shot the 223 a lot during my stay in the us army. It shot very well. I have decided on the savage 12fv varminter and this is what i will be mounting the scope on. I have hand loaded ballistic tips in about 6 different calibers and they are one accurate bullet. But i have never hand loaded fo 22 center fire so looking for opinions
They are under the ballistic tip varmint

P E T A
BenB
Rookie Member
Rookie Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 2:36 pm    Post subject: Re: 22 Cal Bullets ? Reply with quote

Joe, ballistic tips will be a good choice. Any weight in 22 caliber have worked well in my 22 caliber rifles.

Ben

DallanC
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 2:40 pm    Post subject: Re: 22 Cal Bullets ? Reply with quote

I really like Speer 55grn Boattails. I've shot thousands out of my .22-250 with great results. They are pretty economical too which is a plus... seems prarie dogs cant tell the difference either Smile

I dont think I've ever met another person who uses these bullets though. I also use MR223 powder with them and I've yet to meet another person who uses that powder either Wink

-DallanC
Blaine

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 3:51 pm    Post subject: Re: 22 Cal Bullets ? Reply with quote

Hi Joe,
You didn't mention what you're getting for a gun. I was just curious (nosey) I have a 223 Rem barrel for my T/C Encore. I have been shooting 50 gr factory loads in it up till now. But, now that I'm back into reloading I'll be getting some dies for the 223 also.....just have to wait a while. I've got 4 other calibers to get first. I have been looking at loads for it , though, and I'm eyeing the Nosler 60 gr partition bullet for coyotes. The 50 gr factory loads I've been shooting have not impressed me in the accuacy department. I was beginning to think the barrel was a bad choice, but I'll hold off judgement until I feed it some handloads. The 55 gr ball tip has a slightly better B.C. that the same bullet in 50 gr and I would think the extra 5 gr in a 223 case wouldn't slow you down too much. Should be a good choice. I've rambled on enough. Catch you later.
Blaine

shrpshtrjoe
Super Red Neck Member
Super Red Neck Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 8:20 am    Post subject: Re: 22 Cal Bullets ? Reply with quote

Howdy. The gun will be a savage 12fv varminter. I think im gonna try Varget powder i realy like hodgdons extreme powders the books show great velocity and i can fill the case up. There the first two things i look for when im reloading for a new cal. And i have some Varget i use it in the 7/08 so it wont cost me extra to try it first

P E T A
DallanC
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 9:10 am    Post subject: Re: 22 Cal Bullets ? Reply with quote

Varget is good stuff in the SA cases. I use it in my wifes .243 and in a few of my .22-250 loads.

-DallanC
Coyote_Hunter_

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 1:52 pm    Post subject: Re: 22 Cal Bullets ? Reply with quote

shrpshtrjoe -

In my .22-250 I use a combination or 40g Nosler BT's and 52g BTHP's from Speer and Hornady. Accuracy is outstanding with all. The last cuople years I have been using the BTHP's more because they are cheaper - I buy them in bulk at the gun shows for $6-$7 per 100. I also have some 50g Hornady V-MAX that I have not loaded up yet.

For powder I use Varget. Period.

You're making a good decision on the Savage and .223, for lots of reasons. I bought a Ruger .22-250 VT in stainless and am very happy with it, too.

calsibley

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 8:55 am    Post subject: Re: 22 Cal Bullets ? Reply with quote

I go through Nosler Balistic Tips like they're going out of style, use them in 4 difference .22 centerfires, 2 6mms, 6.5x55, 7mm, and in my .308Win.
so I guess you could say I'm a big fan. They're my favorite in .22 and 6mm, less so in the larger calibers. What has impressed me also is that they are every bit as accurate as my Sierra 52gr. HPBT Match bullets, and the Bergers. In fact it's the only non HP I use from the bench. Best wishes.

Cal - Montreal Laughing
shrpshtrjoe
Super Red Neck Member
Super Red Neck Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 11:07 am    Post subject: Re: 22 Cal Bullets ? Reply with quote

Howdy Im with ya cal i love nosler bullets i have had great accuracy with the b-t only complaint is on deer i have shot deer with the 150gr in 308 and could put my fist in the entrance wounds ( shoulder shots ) works great through the lungs. I think it will be a good choice in 22 cal for my new gun.

P E T A
WildHorse

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 4:06 pm    Post subject: Re: 22 Cal Bullets ? Reply with quote

I agree, I think the 55 gr Nosler ballistic tip is the ticket for anything you want to draw down on, (varmint wise). I use the 165 gr Hornady SST, in my 30-06 for deer, does an excellent job. As for all else I stay with the nosler BT. Just my two cents worth.

shrpshtrjoe
Super Red Neck Member
Super Red Neck Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 11:38 am    Post subject: Re: 22 Cal Bullets ? Reply with quote

Howdy. I ended up getting 50 grain b-ts they were out of the 55 grainers. I think they will do ok ( shoot a little flater ) I got my brass today /ordered my scope/ordered the gun Laughing just waitin for everything now.

P E T A

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 1:20 pm    Post subject: Re: 22 Cal Bullets ? Reply with quote

Sounds like you have everything you need. Good Luck and shoot straight.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » Reloading Ammunition
Page 1 of 3