Albums: 308
 Pictures: 2451
  · Views: 820725
  · Votes: 1316
  · Comments: 86

Down the bunnie trail
Small Game hunting related discussion
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » Small Game Hunting

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aloysius

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Down the bunnie trail Reply with quote

Do you keep the ears when you shoot a nephew?
stovepipe

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Down the bunnie trail Reply with quote

Laughing ....maybe that's why he wont hunt with me anymore. Razz
stovepipe

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 10:28 am    Post subject: Re: Down the bunnie trail Reply with quote

Lil late here but.... good advice Elvis.

#3's worked way better than #4's. Anchors 'em good. Effective range got a tad bit extended too with the mod choke in the 20ga vs. the Cyl Bore in the 12ga w/ #4's. Them steel loads is FAST up to 30-40y. Had to remind myself to not short stroke the pump though with the 3" hulls, ooops, missed a follow up twice cuz of that.
44marty

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 6:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Down the bunnie trail Reply with quote

I would recommend #1 Buck for nephews.

The strength of the wolf is in the pack; the strength of the pack is in the wolf. ~ R. Kipling

I LOVE YOU, LADY LUCK !!!
stovepipe

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 7:01 am    Post subject: Re: Down the bunnie trail Reply with quote

He give's me any more lip I just might try that!
stovepipe

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 6:34 am    Post subject: Re: Down the bunnie trail Reply with quote

Elvis, sounded like you really scored on Saturday! I didn't do so good though...

I too went out Saturday, to take my 20ga pump for a 3 hour run through a 100* desert in search of Hare.
Didn't get there 'till around 9:00 so..... they were bolting way out of range, well educated at this point. Winged a couple I thought were close enough but lost them in the thick stuff so the yote's and crows will have a nice meal. Marked them good and hauled butt over to the spot but- poof! Gone.

Finally got this lil bugger on a 40 yard + fast, right crosser. He cartwheeled on the first shot, racked the slide and got him again for insurance, and, part of the pucker bush he rolled behind. Good front 1/4/head shot on a fast swing through. Man he was moving.

Not too big, smaller than the last one by a bunch, about 4#. Had me pumped enough to stay on it for another hour cuz now I'm on the board and ready to get a groove going. And, got zip after that, started getting dehydrated, a headache and really pooped. But, I love hunting these things. Very Happy

Should be my last round dedicated to these guys this year. Quail opens in 3 weeks so the H&R pump gets sidelined for the Benelli Uberlight with an IC choke and some #8. Might keep the H&R and some hot steel #3 loads handy though, just in case I get skunked with the birds. Which happens.

Man I love hunting these Jack-a-Hare's, been doing it since I was a kid and it always thrills me.

See ya next year down the bunny trail, I cant wait!

0925101200-1.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  25.44 KB
 Viewed:  4881 Time(s)

0925101200-1.jpg

Vince
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 11:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Down the bunnie trail Reply with quote

That is cool Stovey. Like you, I love hunting bunnies as well. Chasing them with a shotgun is awesome fun...but so is sniping their warren (their mound with many entrances). Sit about 50 metres off the warren, benhind some cover, and enjoy the bush...why waiting fer the furry little buggers to poke their head above ground...ppphhhhtttt....subsonic through the head, with little or no noise.

Its funny watching them...three or four standing around, tap one and he "falls over" wtf ...his mate looks at him Confused as if to say "Oi, you drunk or sumfin, fallin' over like that, get up"...then pppphhhhhttttt....another one of his mates "falls over" wtf ...he looks at him.... Confused its a hoot, I love it. Cool Laughing Laughing

Cheers, Vince

Illegitimi non carborundum
(Never let the bastards grind you down)

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.

"Nulla Si Fa Senza Volonta."
(Without Commitment, Nothing Gets Done)
stovepipe

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 6:35 am    Post subject: Re: Down the bunnie trail Reply with quote

Quote::
"Oi, you drunk or sumfin, fallin' over like that, get up"...
Laughing

I keep intending to take your advice but I keep sleeping in and missing the water-cooler talk. Plus, they know they sound of my truck and man do they get scarce in hurry. Gotta camp out in a new spot sometime and catch them as the sun comes up.
stovepipe

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 4:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Down the bunnie trail Reply with quote

Been couped up in the place two months now. shoulder therapy's improving things somewhat but, still can't shoot centerfire anythning yet. The weather is PERFECT for kickin' bushes...so I got to thinkin', I've been anxious to try the M&P 15-22 for bunny bustin so...grabed that, a brick of boolits, fueled up ol' Blackie and headed on out for the Bunny Trail. I tightened up tactical the sling so there was barely any pressure on my shoulder, rested my right hand on the grip, perfect! Barely any discomfort. Snap-shot a tin can for practice and it's off to the races. It felt wonderful to be outside again- you guys know, the smell of the bush, a stiff crisp breeze, ears pricked, senses are at 10, you can feel the Vibe.

Winter was good to my bunny buddies and there was puhlenty to go 'round...but, I kept missing! We'll, first time with this shooter and it sure dont swing like a shotty but...there's zero noise and recoil and with 10 rounds I could get the Jack's going in and out of the bushes and Joshua tree's changing directions like pin-balls. My God was it fun and I was waggin' that .22 like a pointin' stick- it was a hoot! Laughing Once I get used to it it'll be deadly. I think I was shotgunning- Just looking thru the tube and ignoring the dot and pointing. It worked once...rest of the time I was walking rounds onto the target, in front, in back...help!

Yer doing it wrong... Laughing

I only got one but...I burned up 150 rounds at lest- even did some tactical reloads so I wouldn't run the chamber dry- it was full on fun. All my spots were producing. Even the big Bull Jack showed up- he let's me get about 100y close then lopes off laughing. It looks like a mule, giant grey, black tipped ears WAY up over the weeds. I'm bringing Kabong next time and camping out...then we'll see. Laughing

It was just a wonderfull day of shooting, hiking, and- breathing. There was quail, Jacks, cotton tails, yote's, 14 different birds. I'm so spent and can't wait to go to bed with a smile on my face tonight- I love my uplands, but, they won't be there much longer though. Things are moving in. This is the last of it like this in SoCal. I've been stopmin' stuff out here since I was a lil sucker. Sad

Happy Easter gang! Very Happy

1: first score for the Smith. Tacical Bunny Buster! Very Happy (notice- it's on SAFE, just fer Chambered... Shocked Laughing )
2-3: north and south shots of something rare in SoCal.

img_0953.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  161.58 KB
 Viewed:  4670 Time(s)

img_0953.jpg

img_0955.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  156.16 KB
 Viewed:  4671 Time(s)

img_0955.jpg

img_0954-1.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  150.78 KB
 Viewed:  4673 Time(s)

img_0954-1.jpg

slimjim

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 7:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Down the bunnie trail Reply with quote

stovepipe wrote:
I could get the Jack's going in and out of the bushes and Joshua tree's changing directions like pin-balls.

Don't the rabbits run off and stop?!? That's when I shoot them when hunting with a .22LR. Or is it just Cottontails that act like that?

BTW, congrats on your first of many successful hunts!

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it." - Albert Einstein
slimjim

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 7:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Down the bunnie trail Reply with quote

Beautiful pictures! Is that North of Lancaster?

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it." - Albert Einstein
stovepipe

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 8:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Down the bunnie trail Reply with quote

She's a seecret spot seenyor.... Shhh! Smile

My own lil slice of sanity in LaLa Land. I'm very fortunate to have access to it. Cool
Vince
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 9:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Down the bunnie trail Reply with quote

Stovey...I feel really happy for ya mate. You couldn't have described the feeling of getting out in the bush any better...its wonderfully exhilarating; I love it.

I take a "Joshua Tree" is those funny looking spiky trees? That run (or hop) off must be a rabbit thing mate...ours do the same. Unless they are within a very short distance of their burrow, they take off at the speed of a raped ape for maybe 5 or 10 metres then prop...although usually under some sort of cover.

Love hunting rabbits...they are wily and so much fun, and pretty good to chew on as well.

Its good that you have found a way to get out mate...its great therapy and you can keep your eye in too.

Cheers, Vince

Illegitimi non carborundum
(Never let the bastards grind you down)

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.

"Nulla Si Fa Senza Volonta."
(Without Commitment, Nothing Gets Done)
stovepipe

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 9:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Down the bunnie trail Reply with quote

Vince, you and I and Elvis (& others here too) live for this stuff...for a few reasons. We are kindrid spirits through all things hunting. I think it's great we can be a wolrd apart and share the same feelings. The Bush Vibe is universal- sights, smells, sounds.

It's In The Blood. Very Happy

I'm glad I got this S&W...it's gotten me back in the saddle much faster than I thought I would be.

I'm not sure where I'll be in a few years when I finally relocate (if the room I'm rentin' in Bushy's bard deal falls through) but I hope I still have access to these critters. I really love bird hunting but rabbits are unto their own- a unique challenge espcially in the tight stuff as where I go you only usually get one crack then they're gone...kicking up dust weaving between pucker bushes @ 25mph and all you get is a glimpse of ear tips.

Slim- call me one of these times you are out this way for work and if you can swing it we'll do a hunt my treat, love to have you as my guest and you can use my super-wicked Benlli Ultralight 20, since it'll be a while till I get to use that hunny again. It's actually a bit south east of Lancaster. I've only been checked once for license so...and a two-day guest license is a few bucks and easy to get if ya wanna be compliant.
stovepipe

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 10:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Down the bunnie trail Reply with quote

Here's one of my normal bush camps- Mojave desert, last turkey day, pretty basic....good for 5 days or so w/ this set-up..it was 18 degrees this night. Brrr! I love the bush...trails to ride, game to chase. Very Happy

1125101519-1.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  163.71 KB
 Viewed:  4625 Time(s)

1125101519-1.jpg

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » Small Game Hunting
Page 4 of 14