Interesting facts to ponder when you have a bit of spare time......
1. In the 1400's a law was passed that prevented men from beating their wives with sticks any thicker than their thumb.
Hence we have "the rule of thumb"
2. Many years ago in Scotland, a new game was invented and the
rules were "G
Thus the word GOLF entered into the English language.
3. Every day more money is printed for Monopoly than the US
4. Coca Cola was originally green.
5. It is impossible to lick your elbow.
6. 111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321
7. A statue in the park of a person on a horse that has both front
legs in the air indicates that person died in battle.
If the horse has one front leg in the air the person died as a result of wounds received in battle.
If the horse has all four legs on the ground, the person died of natural causes.
8. Half of all Americans live within 50 miles of their birthplace
9. If you were to spell out numbers you would have to go to 1,000
to find the letter "A"
10. What do bullet proof vests, fire escapes, windshield wipers, and
laser printers all have in common?
They were all invented by women.
11. In Shakespeare's time mattresses were secured on bed frames by
ropes. When you pulled on the ropes the mattress tightened, making the bed firmer to sleep on.
Hence the phrase......... "goodnight, sleep tight."
12. It was the accepted practice in Babylon 4,000 years ago that for
a month after a wedding, the bride's father would supply his new
son-in-law with all the mead he could drink. Mead is a honey beer and
because their calendar was lunar based, this period was called the honey month, which we know today as the " honeymoon ".
13. In English pubs ale was ordered in pints and quarts... So in old
England, when customers got unruly, the bartender would yell at them
"Mind your pints and quarts and settle down." That is where we get the
phrase "mind your P's and Q's".
14. Many years ago in England, pub frequenters had a whistle baked
into the rim, or handle, of their ceramic cups. When they needed a
refill, they used the whistle to get some service. "Wet your whistle" is the phrase inspired by this practice.
15. At least 75% of all people who read this will try to lick their
Believe it or not, you will be able to read the following paragraph:
I cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was
rdgnieg.The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid Aoccdrnig to rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in what oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is that the frist and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll
raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed
ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe.
Amzanig or waht ?
There endeth my lesson for the day on irrelevant but interesting facts.