I thought that maybe it is time to reserect this thread.
I have cast up a quantity of 12g slugs using a 1oz Lee Drive Key mould. I cast a couple of different alloys.....pure lead, a 2% tin / 6% antimony mix and pure Linotype. All weighed within less than 1/10th of an ounce of one another. Now before the purists rip me a new "one" for using anything other than pure lead, I decided to try a harder alloy for increased penetration on mud encrusted pigs.
My loads consisted of an aussie powder called AP70N and a Spanish powder, PSB1, from the manufacturers of RIO Cartridges.
My initial tests were for pressure signs and "fall of shot" accuracy between the two powders, but as it turned out I got a pretty good idea of penetration as well. My target was a sheet of cardboard attached to a hardwood eucalypus tree...well I was in the field...and suited the purpose.
Five shots, standing unsupported, from 50 metres all landed within a circle approximately 14 inches in diameter, with two of the shots with the same load being about 3 inches apart. I am going to do a little more development on that load.
The real surprise came when I took the target down to have a look at the remains of the slugs....remember this was a hardwood eucalypt. Well, the pure lead one penetrated about 2 inches and mushroomed nicely,
the 2% tin / 6% antimony pentrated about 4 inches and sort of bent a little and the pure linotype pentrated about 6 inches and can almost be reloaded. All three are shown in the pics below. The rest I couldn't find cause they dug a large furrow through the side of the tree and kept going.
I believe that I am well on the way to developing some good pig "medicine".