Albums: 308
 Pictures: 2451
  · Views: 820723
  · Votes: 1316
  · Comments: 86

Utah Fire!!
Discussion that doesnt fit other Topics
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » General

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ominivision1

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 3:55 am    Post subject: Utah Fire!! Reply with quote

Apparently this fire was started by target shooters, I hope Dallan and his family are not in the way of this fire. www.usatoday.com/news/...55767730/1

Limitations are but boundaries created inside our minds.
Vince
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 6:13 am    Post subject: Re: Utah Fire!! Reply with quote

WOW...that's nasty. How close do you think it is to Dallan's place OV1?

I wonder how they came to the conclusion that the fire was started by a target shooter? I have fired thousand of rounds in the bush and the only ones that I have seen start a fire were tracer rounds when I was in the Army. I find it very difficult to believe that a copper and lead bullet will cause a spark hitting a rock...never seen it happen. Now if it was a steel jacketed bullet I can understand that it could happen, but not a non ferrous bullet. I don't think that even a ferrous bullet would cause a big enough spark to start a bushfire.

Dallan, if this fire is close to you, be safe my friend, and look after your family.

Oh well, I hope that no homes and lives are lost, and that the fire is bought under control very quickly.

Cheers, Vince

Illegitimi non carborundum
(Never let the bastards grind you down)

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.

"Nulla Si Fa Senza Volonta."
(Without Commitment, Nothing Gets Done)
Suzanne

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 6:45 am    Post subject: Re: Utah Fire!! Reply with quote

The 20th target shooting related fire? They better check into that one. It was the BLM that decided it was caused that way. Wonder how much fire investigation experience they have. Well I got kicked out of my regular shooting spot in the woods during a high fire danger warning, wonder how valid that really is? Check out this article the comments after the article are priceless! I'll never shoot a clay pigeon again. Interestingly if you Google "target shooting caused fires" most of the articles are from Utah and California (San Diego). I don't think they like guns very much.

Suz

DallanC
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 9:52 am    Post subject: Re: Utah Fire!! Reply with quote

It's around 10 miles from me, can't get here. Started by morons shooting illegal tracers. Popular place to shoot. Blm is going to ban steelcore ammo next to stop sparks. I've seen lead ammo cause sparks when shooting into metal.

We have several major fires going on. Terribly dry conditions here.

DallanC
TRBLSHTR

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 12:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Utah Fire!! Reply with quote

wtf My family has some desert property that we visist every now and then,and the road into the place is like driving on "tank traps" after a rainstorm.the rain washes the dirt away from the once buried jagged lava rocks and leaves a place for you tire to commit suicide!In the past I have used the cheap "chicom" 7.62x39 ammo to reduce the size of the rocks in the roadway-steel jackets do cause sparks-like flint but we have been "fortunate"-No fires in 18 years.We are surrounded by BLM ground,and the blm lackies have proven to be the worst users of fire in our area in the past.It even has cost one or more of them their jobs with their reckless,careless use of fire!I believe that this may be used by the forest circus and the blm as a new behind the scenes ploy to keep hunter and shooters off of public lands if they over report the frequency of these"firearms related fires".Remember just a few months back they were overruled in attempting to keep hunters out of public lands that the leaf licker wackos influenced the gov't to try to shut out hunters and target shooters.Just another new wrinkle. Sniper

TRBLSHTR

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 12:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Utah Fire!! Reply with quote

TRBLSHTR wrote:
:wtf: My family has some desert property that we visist every now and then,and the road into the place is like driving on "tank traps" after a rainstorm.the rain washes the dirt away from the once buried jagged lava rocks and leaves a place for you tire to commit suicide!In the past I have used the cheap "chicom" 7.62x39 ammo to reduce the size of the rocks in the roadway-steel jackets do cause sparks-like flint but we have been "fortunate"-No fires in 18 years.We are surrounded by BLM ground,and the blm lackies have proven to be the worst users of fire in our area in the past.It even has cost one or more of them their jobs with their reckless,careless use of fire!I believe that this may be used by the forest circus and the blm as a new behind the scenes ploy to keep hunter and shooters off of public lands if they over report the frequency of these"firearms related fires".Remember just a few months back they were overruled in attempting to keep hunters out of public lands that the leaf licker wackos influenced the gov't to try to shut out hunters and target shooters.Just another new wrinkle. Sniper

Yes and most certainly tracers cause fires-and people should be fined if caught using them in the dry months of the year!Kinda like fireworks that are unsafe!If ya want to start fires -use gasoline!

Elvis

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 6:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Utah Fire!! Reply with quote

I thought you were supposed to be "putting out fire with gasoline"
so tracers will start a brush fire aye?
maybe the 12ga dragons breath rounds Ive seen info on might but I wouldnt have thought tracer would stay put long enough? trying to get even tinder dry leaf litter to start burning with heat but no flame takes alot of work. dont believe me? try to light a tissue on your exhaust pipe.
could well be another excuse to keep people off the land.

TRBLSHTR

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 7:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Utah Fire!! Reply with quote

Shocked Sorry-but no Elvis.I have seen and participated in first hand fire starting with tracers in the military.Even the little 5.56mm can light the grass/brush on fire when the rounds impact the ground and stay put.

gelandangan

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 9:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Utah Fire!! Reply with quote

You stay safe Dallan!
10 miles take no time if the wind is in the right direction.

Do - Not try!

gelandangan.weebly.com/
Elvis

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 11:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Utah Fire!! Reply with quote

ok thanks TRBLSHTR I stand enlightened .

DallanC
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 2:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Utah Fire!! Reply with quote

New major fire started last night an hour south of me and within a mile of my dads feedlot. Power is out to the area and its under mandatory evacuation. I havent heard anything in a couple hours what the status is.

Its going to be an crazy bad fire season. Snow Melt currently in the mts above my house looks like what the first part of August looks like, and we still have a week of june left. Crazy!

-DallanC
Ominivision1

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 3:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Utah Fire!! Reply with quote

Wow, that was one of things officials were hoping not to happen was the lost of electricity. You & your family stay safe.

Limitations are but boundaries created inside our minds.
DallanC
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 5:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Utah Fire!! Reply with quote

Southern fire near my dads ground is blowing up... from 3000 acres this morning to over 10,000 with high winds. They just evacuated the valley my dads ground is in, homes are already burning.

I live in the center of my town miles from any foothills where fires would be, it would take an crazy number of bad things to all happen at once for my home to be at risk.

-DallanC
slimjim

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 7:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Utah Fire!! Reply with quote

DallanC, I hope your dad and his neighbors stay safe and fair well.

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it." - Albert Einstein
DallanC
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 8:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Utah Fire!! Reply with quote

20,000 acres big, still around 4% contained. Going to be interesting to see how this turns out.

-DallanC
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » General
Page 1 of 3