Albums: 308
 Pictures: 2452
  · Views: 824035
  · Votes: 1316
  · Comments: 86

243 load test
Discussion that doesnt fit other Topics
Go to page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » General

View previous topic :: View next topic  
menace

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 4:33 am    Post subject: 243 load test Reply with quote

hi guys,ive just had 5 different loads made up to see what my (girls gun) Very Happy .243 likes best.
55grn nosler balistic tip
adi ar2208 powder
federal 210 primers
5 loads @ 44.5grn
'' '' @ 44grn
" '' @43.5grn
'' '' @43grn
'' '' @42grn
'' '' @41grn
sighted in at 100 metres
at what distance should i be shooting to find my best grouping?
what would the coef be of this 55 grn pill?
243 at gunsmith getting trigger worked.will pick up tomorro and off to farm to do fox shooting.
appreciate all the info i can get on this matter.
SingleShotLover

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 4:57 am    Post subject: Re: 243 load test Reply with quote

Nosler lists the ballistic coefficient as .276 for the 55 grain bullet. As to the distance for best grouping...most people test their loads at 100 yards (or meters, depending on units of measure that you are used to) and then plan to roughly figure groups as the distance increases. If your groups are 1 inch at 100 yards (1 minute of angle or MOA) they should logically be 2 inches at 200 yards, 3 inches at 300 yards and so-forth. That is only a guide, however, and you need to shoot at those distances to determine what your rifle/load combination can actually do.

The same goes for using ballistic software. Point Blank is reliable and amazingly accurate (assuming you input valid, accurate information), but only real-life shooting will guarantee the trajectory picture for your particular load.

The biggest problem with a closed mind is that it never seems to come with a closed mouth.

SSL
English Mike

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 5:52 pm    Post subject: Re: 243 load test Reply with quote

Strangely enough, I've been discussing AR2208 elsewhere in the past couple of days.
I doesn't appear to be available outside of Australia & NZ.
I've been told AR2206 is marketed internationally as Hodgdon Varget but no word on 2208.

Edit: Just found the Thales site & AR2206 is equivalent to BLC-2
2208 is Varget.
menace

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 6:13 pm    Post subject: Re: 243 load test Reply with quote

hi mike,im not sure as to the marketing name for the ar2208 out side ozz.
vince might know,as im very new to this tech stuff. do you do your own reloading?if so have any pics of work station.
cheers cobber.
Pumpkinslinger

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 7:04 pm    Post subject: Re: 243 load test Reply with quote

Menace, somewhere on this site there is a thread about reloading benches with pics of various ones.

"I ain't no better than anybody else, and there ain't nobody better than me!" Ma Kettle
menace

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 7:23 pm    Post subject: Re: 243 load test Reply with quote

thanks pumpkinslinger.ill go look for the site.when and if i do get reloading gear,the hardest part will be... which brand..
my wife says im the worlds greatest procrastinator. see im not even sure if ive spelt the word correctly Very Happy Very Happy
Pumpkinslinger

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 7:29 pm    Post subject: Re: 243 load test Reply with quote

Menace, there are some threads here about starting reloading too. And I know that we have some very knowledgable folks around who will be happy to help by answering any questions. By the way, almost all of my reloading equipment is Hornady or RCBS.

"I ain't no better than anybody else, and there ain't nobody better than me!" Ma Kettle
menace

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 7:33 pm    Post subject: Re: 243 load test Reply with quote

pumpkinslinger,just came back looking at your gallery.
what a lovely work station you have.man thats what i need.
am looking at ONE MORE gun.some how i need to convince
my wife that i need a REM VTR .223.and i see you have one
can you tell me more about your vtr please.
cheers cobber
Vince
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 10:00 pm    Post subject: Re: 243 load test Reply with quote

Gidday Menace....Mike is correct mate...AR2208 is marketed outside Australia by Hogdon and is called Varget. In fact Hogdon carry a few of the ADI/Thales range of Sporting Powders...albeit renamed.

Cheers, Vince

Illegitimi non carborundum
(Never let the bastards grind you down)

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.

"Nulla Si Fa Senza Volonta."
(Without Commitment, Nothing Gets Done)
Pumpkinslinger

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 5:14 am    Post subject: Re: 243 load test Reply with quote

Menace, my reloading bench is made from 2x4s with plywood bracing. It's 2' deep and 4' wide. 0.75" plywood top with 2x6 boards running front to back under the presses.

As for the VTR, I haven't really shot it much. So far factory and handloads developed for other guns are running 0.8 to 1.5" groups at 100 yds but I'm sure it could do much better. My buddy also bought one and he shot some 0.5" groups using Hornady factory loads with 40 gr V-Max bullets.

menace

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 5:05 am    Post subject: Re: 243 load test Reply with quote

hi again.ive come into possession of a super simplex press with dies,,redding scales and redding powder thrower from my ex boss.
he bought it with intension to reload,but that never happened.
time permitting ill have to build a work station like yours pumpkinslinger.
will take some pics and send on here.
cheers menace
Vince
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 6:38 pm    Post subject: Re: 243 load test Reply with quote

You now have a similar setup to what I started with mate, only I bought the Simplex 'O' Frame Master press and Simplex Dies. They aren't RCBS, but they are still good quality.

The Redding scales and Powder Throw are pretty good, but DON'T leave powder in the powder throw hopper...it will attack the plastic (been there, done that Embarassed ).

I found that to get a consistent throw of powder I swing the charge arm to the top and "tap" it briskly against the stop, ease it off a cm and "tap" it up briskly again....shakes any powder out that may have hung up in the chute. I also keep a piece of garden hose about 15cm long beside the powder throw...no its not to threaten it wiv...I use it to beat it up...I firmly 'tap' the metal part of the hopper 4 or 5 times every 10 loads to settle the powder. Also, keep the hopper at least 2/3 full...again, throws more consistently.

I loaded thousands of pistol target loads on this setup and had no complaints once I worked out the idiosyncrasies. I still use it today and that is after 30 years of use.

Cheers, Vince

Illegitimi non carborundum
(Never let the bastards grind you down)

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.

"Nulla Si Fa Senza Volonta."
(Without Commitment, Nothing Gets Done)
Pumpkinslinger

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 8:44 pm    Post subject: Re: 243 load test Reply with quote

Vince brings up a good point. I use a screwdriver or small wrench to tap the powder measure a few times when I first pour the powder in to make it settle. Then, as I throw a charge, I bump the handle against the top and bottom stops pretty briskly to both settle the powder and jolt the charge loose. I think the key here is, as usual with hand loading, consistency. Always bump it the same way, whether it be once, twice, every fifth load, whatever.

Menace, if you like I’ll send you some info and pics on how I put my bench together. Of course you might have to wait a bit for me to clean it off enough to get some details…

menace

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 4:05 am    Post subject: Re: 243 load test Reply with quote

thanks for the reply and info, vince and pumpkinslinger.ive taken some pics but need to work out on how to send hopefully by this friday.last nite i just had to try the press,so i got a spent .243 shell,used a resizing die,then rotate the top of head on press.held the 55gr pill,pull the handle down and PRESTO,my first reload.naturally without powder or new det.ill use this on my excavator key ring.it was a play thing for me..cat excavator powered by .243 .. Very Happy Very Happy
ill need to get more help and guidance when im ready to do serious reloading.id really appreciate if you could send some pics and info on how to build work station.when ever you have the oppotunity, that would be great mate. Very Happy
English Mike

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 8:57 pm    Post subject: Re: 243 load test Reply with quote

I loaded up some .243 with Varget over the weekend & if the weather forecast is wrong, might get to try it on Sunday:

55gr Blitzking
Loads from 41-44gr.
90gr Gameking
Loads from 33-35gr.

I've seen reports that the Blitzking wont take velocities over 3,500fps, so we'll find out if that's true.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » General
Page 1 of 2