· Views: 824013
  · Votes: 1316
  · Comments: 86

Lady Hunts Elephants with a Bow!!!!
Hunting and discussion with Muzzle Loaders, Archery and other Primitive weapons
Go to page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ominivision1

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 5:15 am    Post subject: Lady Hunts Elephants with a Bow!!!! Reply with quote

She wasn't born with them but she sure has some.
Lady Elephant Bow Hunter

Edit: Apparently the links on the website do not take you to the next page on some browsers, right click on the links below and open in a new tab to read the story.
Page 2
Page 3
Page 4
Page 5
Page 6
Page 7
Page 8

Limitations are but boundaries created inside our minds.

Last edited by Ominivision1 on Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:06 am; edited 2 times in total
slimjim

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 5:58 am    Post subject: Re: Lady Hunts Elephants with a Bow!!!! Reply with quote

I watched a bow hunter go after a sterile rhino. He used a 90 lb bow. It would take me months of training to pull that weight. I wonder what weight she is going to use?

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it." - Albert Einstein
Suzanne

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 6:22 am    Post subject: Re: Lady Hunts Elephants with a Bow!!!! Reply with quote

Ok Ok If you KNOW the arrow isn't going to kill the animal....why do it...I didn't watch the movie, but I've seen a YouTube video of a guy goin after a hippo with bow and arrow, he got one in it (it was killed between the eyes with a bullet) and a guy hunting a lion with bow and arrow (it was actually killed with a total of 3 arrows after a long stalk and long wait). I've also seen lots of videos of guys hunting deer and elk and not all the animals were even found after shot. I really don't get it with bow hunting. Never seen an animal drop dead from one shot, except for a turkey and a goose. Maybe it's just me, but a quick clean kill is what I want. The meat's better if it's not full of adrenaline too. Arrows just don't do the damage that a bullet does, to me it's more like you're bleeding the animal to death and they have an uncomfortable stick with razor blades, poking their internals.

Sorry
Suz

Ominivision1

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 7:00 am    Post subject: Re: Lady Hunts Elephants with a Bow!!!! Reply with quote

slimjim wrote:
I wonder what weight she is going to use?

I read all 8 pages of the article and not once was it mentioned the weight of the arrows. The bow she uses has a max 70lb draw!!! Good grief, even though she had backup of ph hunters, thats just wtf .

Ominivision1

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Lady Hunts Elephants with a Bow!!!! Reply with quote

Suzanne wrote:
Ok Ok If you KNOW the arrow isn't going to kill the animal... Sorry Suz

This reminds me of a grand opening for a gander mountian in Milwaukee back in the late 70's. The guy promoting Bear 60lb compound bows did a test at 30 yards for the bow and 100 yards for the 300 whby mag with sand bags. He shot the 300 whby with 180gr bullet factory loaded (Norma) and a 250gr tip similar to todays broadheads. Shooting the bear bow he stuck the arrow half way through bag, shooting the 300whby did not exit the sandbag.

Now after the shooting was done and we walked up to see the sandbags, I inquired to the "salesman" as to how come he didn't use solids in his rifle tests, he looked at me and I told him that the 300 did its job by not exiting the sand bag, a solid bullet would not expand and would have gone clean through the sandbags...........chalk that up to marketing.

Point is, I have been hunting whitetails with a bow since 76 and have had great success, 6 of them dropped in their tracks when I shot them with my bow. No matter what you use, it's shot placement that counts.

Now as far as using a bow for the big 5 in Africa, more power to you, you got more nutts then me, I will use common sense instead.

One more thing Suz, give bow hunting a try, I bet you will like it and you will have to stalk the game closer and test your patience and skills, as I said early, it's where you put the shot.

Suzanne

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 7:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Lady Hunts Elephants with a Bow!!!! Reply with quote

No thanks! I appreciate your comments but if I want a close encounter I'd rather use my black powder rifle. Especially if it's something dangerous. Actually I do want to here from more bow hunters because I've seen so many videos and truly none of the animals had a quick kill, and you would think if someone were promoting bow hunting they would only show quick kills. It only turns my stomach to see a wounded animal run off to bleed to death. I'm glad you had quick kills, wonder how many other people do as good. I'm curious where you shot your quick kills (what did you hit)?

Suz

Vince
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Lady Hunts Elephants with a Bow!!!! Reply with quote

WOW...that takes guts. I must be missing something in the link because I could not find a video of the hunt...or the eight pages that OV1 read through.

However, I'm with you Suz. One thing I've always believed in is using enough firearm to do the job cleanly and quickly...an ethical hunter owes that to his quarry. The only way I can see this woman taking an elephant cleanly is with a brain shot (LOTS of thick bone to traverse there) or a solid heart shot (lots of thick tough hide, bone and flesh to traverse there). I understand that today's heavy bows have a lot of power, but when you consider what the arrow has to pass through to get to the important vitals, I think the drag on the shaft and the flights would strip significant power from the arrow, most likely resulting in a very much less than clean one shot kill.

So, hunting elephant with a bow is in my mind, until convinced otherwise with good solid evidence to the contrary, unethical, so this woman is not to be applauded for her cojones, but derided for her lack of ethics.

Cheers, Vince

Illegitimi non carborundum
(Never let the bastards grind you down)

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.

"Nulla Si Fa Senza Volonta."
(Without Commitment, Nothing Gets Done)
Pitt55

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Lady Hunts Elephants with a Bow!!!! Reply with quote

I watched a TV show with Fred Bear years ago and he killed a bull elephant with one arrow thru the heart. That bull didn't go 50 yards.

Ominivision1

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:04 am    Post subject: Re: Lady Hunts Elephants with a Bow!!!! Reply with quote

Suz
They were deer at no more then 15 to 20 feet away and were all heart/lung shots.

Elvis

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:39 am    Post subject: Re: Lady Hunts Elephants with a Bow!!!! Reply with quote

I have read of a poacher caught with elephant ivory and he took his bull with a .22SHORT!!!!! By waiting till they were nearly over him and putting shot into major blood group under front leg they made him show how he did it as they did not believe it. I have also read of elephant bows with horrendis poundage... I have watched video footage of deer taken with bows and the animals have continued feeding then dropped dead as a dodo just a wee flinch jump munch munch thud. I have seen goats taken cleanly with a bow aswell.Its all a matter of shot/arrow placement.
But you sure wont catch me after a jumbo with anything less than a .450 capstick etc but I got to win the lottery to afford that 1st aye...

Vince
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:50 am    Post subject: Re: Lady Hunts Elephants with a Bow!!!! Reply with quote

OK...I stand corrected...you can take an elephant with a bow...but it was hardly what I would call an ethical shot. They left the elephant to suffer all night, it travelled 500 yards before they found it the next day, and they found part of the arrow and fletching which says to me that it didn't penetrate full length. Also, they were in no rush to get out there to find the result of their hunt the next morning. I just hope the elephant didn't suffer too much.

Nope...no kudos from me Miss Terressa Groenewald, it might have been a one shot kill, but at what cost to the animal. Not good enough for me.

Cheers, Vince

Illegitimi non carborundum
(Never let the bastards grind you down)

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.

"Nulla Si Fa Senza Volonta."
(Without Commitment, Nothing Gets Done)
Ominivision1

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 2:58 am    Post subject: Re: Lady Hunts Elephants with a Bow!!!! Reply with quote

Same here Vince, No kudos to her and her team. About the only good thing that came out of this was the feeding of 400 - 500 villagers.

slimjim

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Lady Hunts Elephants with a Bow!!!! Reply with quote

Ominivision1 wrote:
They were deer at no more then 15 to 20 feet away and were all heart/lung shots.

I've read that the time difference to death for a deer shot by a high-power rifle compared to a properly placed arrow is only 7 seconds longer.

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it." - Albert Einstein
stovepipe

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 2:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Lady Hunts Elephants with a Bow!!!! Reply with quote

naitives hunted em with bow spear for how long but...yikes. how long did it suffer and sat two nights? i read the story and never saw a coup de gras. if the PH didnt finish it thats bad form. real bad form. it should have been a twang boom. that was a sport hunt and should have ended differently, instantly. period, end of hunt.

if it didnt drop with the shot it should have had a follow up- period. if it was bad spot for a follow up they should have passed on the intial.

even gun hunters are backed by a PH and there's often a follow up to get the bull to drop if it dont at the first shot. not run amok stomping people or things or suffering in the bush stressing the herd. the chicks a wako and now the whole world knows it. wanna challenge go hunt a leopard with a bow and no backup, see how that goes wonder woman. pretty depressing read. Lame
Suzanne

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 7:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Lady Hunts Elephants with a Bow!!!! Reply with quote

Ok here ya go Hippo bow hunt
And then there's the Lion bow hunt Howa bouta Elephant bow hunt

Suz

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » Primitive Weapons Hunting
Page 1 of 2