HuntingNut
HuntingNut
   Login or Register
HomeCommunity ForumsPhoto AlbumsRegister
     
 

User Info

Welcome Anonymous


Membership:
Latest: shavuh
New Today: 0
New Yesterday: 0
Overall: 12766

People Online:
Members: 0
Visitors: 255
BOT: 1
Total: 256
Who Is Where:
 Visitors:
01: Forums
02: Photo Albums
03: Forums
04: Forums
05: Home
06: Forums
07: Forums
08: Statistics
09: Statistics
10: Statistics
11: Your Account
12: Photo Albums
13: Photo Albums
14: Photo Albums
15: Photo Albums
16: Forums
17: Statistics
18: Statistics
19: Statistics
20: Statistics
21: Forums
22: Forums
23: News
24: Forums
25: News
26: Forums
27: Forums
28: Forums
29: Forums
30: Forums
31: Photo Albums
32: Photo Albums
33: Forums
34: Forums
35: Photo Albums
36: Home
37: Photo Albums
38: Photo Albums
39: Forums
40: Forums
41: Forums
42: Forums
43: Statistics
44: Forums
45: Forums
46: Photo Albums
47: Photo Albums
48: Forums
49: Forums
50: Forums
51: Forums
52: Home
53: Forums
54: Forums
55: Home
56: Photo Albums
57: Photo Albums
58: Your Account
59: Home
60: Home
61: Forums
62: Home
63: Forums
64: Forums
65: Forums
66: Forums
67: Forums
68: Forums
69: Home
70: News
71: News
72: News
73: Photo Albums
74: Photo Albums
75: Forums
76: Forums
77: Forums
78: Statistics
79: Forums
80: News
81: Forums
82: Photo Albums
83: Home
84: Statistics
85: Forums
86: Home
87: Photo Albums
88: Home
89: Statistics
90: Photo Albums
91: Photo Albums
92: Forums
93: Forums
94: Statistics
95: Forums
96: Statistics
97: Forums
98: Forums
99: Your Account
100: News
101: Your Account
102: Forums
103: News
104: Home
105: Forums
106: Photo Albums
107: Photo Albums
108: Home
109: Home
110: Photo Albums
111: Forums
112: Forums
113: Statistics
114: Your Account
115: Forums
116: Photo Albums
117: Photo Albums
118: Statistics
119: Forums
120: Photo Albums
121: News
122: Forums
123: News
124: Home
125: Photo Albums
126: Photo Albums
127: Photo Albums
128: Photo Albums
129: Forums
130: Photo Albums
131: Forums
132: Forums
133: Forums
134: Forums
135: Forums
136: Photo Albums
137: Forums
138: Forums
139: Home
140: Photo Albums
141: Forums
142: Forums
143: Home
144: Your Account
145: News
146: Forums
147: Statistics
148: Statistics
149: Home
150: News
151: Forums
152: Home
153: Forums
154: Forums
155: Your Account
156: Forums
157: Statistics
158: Forums
159: Forums
160: Forums
161: Photo Albums
162: Photo Albums
163: Forums
164: News
165: Forums
166: Home
167: Forums
168: Forums
169: Forums
170: Forums
171: Forums
172: Statistics
173: Home
174: Forums
175: Statistics
176: Statistics
177: Home
178: Statistics
179: Home
180: Statistics
181: Forums
182: News
183: News
184: Forums
185: Photo Albums
186: Photo Albums
187: News
188: Statistics
189: Forums
190: News
191: Photo Albums
192: Photo Albums
193: Statistics
194: Forums
195: Forums
196: Statistics
197: Forums
198: Forums
199: Forums
200: Forums
201: Forums
202: Statistics
203: Statistics
204: Forums
205: Statistics
206: Forums
207: Forums
208: Forums
209: Forums
210: Forums
211: Statistics
212: Forums
213: News
214: News
215: Forums
216: News
217: Statistics
218: Forums
219: News
220: Forums
221: Home
222: Forums
223: Forums
224: News
225: Home
226: News
227: News
228: Forums
229: Statistics
230: Your Account
231: Statistics
232: Forums
233: Photo Albums
234: Photo Albums
235: Forums
236: Home
237: Statistics
238: Statistics
239: Statistics
240: Statistics
241: Statistics
242: Forums
243: Your Account
244: Forums
245: Forums
246: Forums
247: Forums
248: Forums
249: News
250: Your Account
251: Forums
252: Home
253: Forums
254: Forums
255: Forums
  BOT:
01: Forums

Staff Online:

No staff members are online!
 

Coppermine Stats
Photo Albums
 Albums: 306
 Pictures: 2389
  · Views: 599662
  · Votes: 1312
  · Comments: 86
 

Support our Advertisers

Barnes 129gr LRX
Big Game Hunting topics that dont fit other categories
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » Big Game Hunting

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
slimjim
Super Member
Super Member


Joined: May 16, 2009
Posts: 7964
Location: Fort Worth TX

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 5:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Barnes 129gr LRX Reply with quote

OV1, I don't have any experience with any of those powders. Most of my loads work best when the case capacity is close to filling the internal volume. One thing with the VLDs is they are sensitive to distance off the lands. Quite often, their sweet spot is only 0.010" to 0.015" from the lands.

_________________
"To anger a conservative, lie to him. To anger a liberal, tell him the truth." - Theodore Roosevelt

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it." - Albert Einstein
Back to top
View user's profile
slimjim
Super Member
Super Member


Joined: May 16, 2009
Posts: 7964
Location: Fort Worth TX

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 8:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Barnes 129gr LRX Reply with quote

English Mike wrote:
I bought some 150gr Barnes TSX


English Mike, I just realized something regarding all the testing I've done with the all-copper bullets. Going to a heavier bullet doens't necessarily buy you an advantage. Take for instance the 110gr TTSX, 130gr TSX/GMX, and your newly purchased 150gr TSX. At 100 yards the 110gr TTSX will expand more and penetrate deeper than the 130gr because it has more energy. 200 yards is probably the transition when the 130gr TSX/GMX will start to out-perform the 110gr TTSX. As the range increases, the 130's advantage will continue to grow because of its velocity advantage. With the 150gr TSX, it has a much lower muzzle velocity and, with its lower BC, will never catch the 130gr, thus never equal it in performance. The 150 may out penetrate it but that is only because it doesn't open up as much and will have limited energy transfer. Plus, how much penetration does one need. My 130gr GMX penetrated 34 inches through an elk at 400 yards with an adequate mushroom.

If you can send me a dozen 150 TSXs, I can prove this.

_________________
"To anger a conservative, lie to him. To anger a liberal, tell him the truth." - Theodore Roosevelt

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it." - Albert Einstein


Last edited by slimjim on Tue Jun 04, 2013 5:18 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile
Elvis
Super Member
Super Member


Joined: Jul 27, 2008
Posts: 8042
Location: south island New Zealand

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Barnes 129gr LRX Reply with quote

now THAT is a plurry good point Slim....

_________________
You shot it You pluck it !
Them who eats the most duck eats the most feathers!
Back to top
View user's profile
English Mike
Super Member
Super Member


Joined: Jan 08, 2007
Posts: 1457
Location: Whitehaven, Cumbria, UK

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Barnes 129gr LRX Reply with quote

slimjim wrote:
English Mike wrote:
I bought some 150gr Barnes TSX


English Mike, I just realized something regarding all the testing I've done with the all-copper bullets. Going to a heavier bullet doens't necessarily buy you an advantage. Take for instance the 110gr TTSX, 130gr TSX/GMX, and your newly purchased 150gr TSX. At 100 yards the 110gr TTSX will expand more and penetrate deeper than the 130gr because it has more energy. 200 yards is probably the transition when the 130gr TSX/GMX will start to out-perform the 110gr TTSX. As the range increases, the 130's advantage will continue to grow because of its velocity advantage. With the 150gr TSX, it has a much lower muzzle velocity and, with its lower BC, will never catch the 130gr, thus never equal it in performance. The 150 may out penetrate it but that is only because it doesn't open up as much and will have limited energy transfer. Plus, how much penetration does one need. My 130gr GMX penetrated 34 inches through an elk at 400 yards with an adequate mushroom.

If you can send me a dozen 150 TSXs, I can prove this.

Pretty much everything I've read since I realised the 150's were less than optimal supports what you say, though the 140gr of the same type do appear to have better results at distance than the 130's.
The 150's are in my stuff in NM, so remind me when I head back over in October & I'll send you some.
Back to top
View user's profile
slimjim
Super Member
Super Member


Joined: May 16, 2009
Posts: 7964
Location: Fort Worth TX

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 3:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Barnes 129gr LRX Reply with quote

English Mike wrote:
the 140gr of the same type do appear to have better results at distance than the 130's.

I agree with you if you are only talking Barnes TSX/TTSX. I load the 140gr TSX for a hunting buddy and have tested them. Recently, Barnes changed the ogive on their 130gr TSX which dropped its 1st place BC status and making the 140gr TSX (0.0404 BC) edging out all the other Barnes bullets in the .277 family. However, I switched to the Hornady 130gr GMX (0.453 BC) which allows it to stay ahead of the 140gr TSX from 100 yards and further.



.277 bullet comparison.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  120.3 KB
 Viewed:  8120 Time(s)

.277 bullet comparison.jpg


_________________
"To anger a conservative, lie to him. To anger a liberal, tell him the truth." - Theodore Roosevelt

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it." - Albert Einstein
Back to top
View user's profile
Elvis
Super Member
Super Member


Joined: Jul 27, 2008
Posts: 8042
Location: south island New Zealand

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 7:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Barnes 129gr LRX Reply with quote

If Im reading that right the 110grn has MORE energy than either the 140 or the 150grn at all ranges????

_________________
You shot it You pluck it !
Them who eats the most duck eats the most feathers!
Back to top
View user's profile
slimjim
Super Member
Super Member


Joined: May 16, 2009
Posts: 7964
Location: Fort Worth TX

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Barnes 129gr LRX Reply with quote

Elvis, I went back and double checked the numbers. When you have that much of a velocity advantage, around 500 fps over the 140/150gr, it makes a big difference. 1/2mv2 - velocity is squared to get Energy so its a big deal! There are other aspects of terminal performance than just energy. Have good expansion with a bullet that has a lot of energy and you have a winning combination. During my 100 yards tests, you can really see that the 110gr is on-top regarding expansion and penetration. At 200 yards, the GMX starts to over-take it. The GMX is also more accurate out of my rifle at longer ranges which becomes a key discriminator for me.

_________________
"To anger a conservative, lie to him. To anger a liberal, tell him the truth." - Theodore Roosevelt

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it." - Albert Einstein
Back to top
View user's profile
Elvis
Super Member
Super Member


Joined: Jul 27, 2008
Posts: 8042
Location: south island New Zealand

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Barnes 129gr LRX Reply with quote

for sure...you got to be able to hit it!!!! Very Happy Very Happy

_________________
You shot it You pluck it !
Them who eats the most duck eats the most feathers!
Back to top
View user's profile
Elvis
Super Member
Super Member


Joined: Jul 27, 2008
Posts: 8042
Location: south island New Zealand

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 1:59 am    Post subject: Re: Barnes 129gr LRX Reply with quote

bump

_________________
You shot it You pluck it !
Them who eats the most duck eats the most feathers!
Back to top
View user's profile
slimjim
Super Member
Super Member


Joined: May 16, 2009
Posts: 7964
Location: Fort Worth TX

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 4:32 am    Post subject: Re: Barnes 129gr LRX Reply with quote

ewe, I felt that.

_________________
"To anger a conservative, lie to him. To anger a liberal, tell him the truth." - Theodore Roosevelt

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it." - Albert Einstein
Back to top
View user's profile
Elvis
Super Member
Super Member


Joined: Jul 27, 2008
Posts: 8042
Location: south island New Zealand

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 12:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Barnes 129gr LRX Reply with quote

are you sure you arent from Aussie???? feeling ewes is more their thing!!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

_________________
You shot it You pluck it !
Them who eats the most duck eats the most feathers!
Back to top
View user's profile
slimjim
Super Member
Super Member


Joined: May 16, 2009
Posts: 7964
Location: Fort Worth TX

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 5:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Barnes 129gr LRX Reply with quote

clear the decks!!! Incoming!!!

_________________
"To anger a conservative, lie to him. To anger a liberal, tell him the truth." - Theodore Roosevelt

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it." - Albert Einstein
Back to top
View user's profile
Elvis
Super Member
Super Member


Joined: Jul 27, 2008
Posts: 8042
Location: south island New Zealand

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 3:10 am    Post subject: Re: Barnes 129gr LRX Reply with quote

Bumped it AGAIN this time for Radar...should be close enough to 7mm to be relevant.

_________________
You shot it You pluck it !
Them who eats the most duck eats the most feathers!
Back to top
View user's profile
jimincfalls
Rookie Member
Rookie Member


Joined: Aug 27, 2014
Posts: 4

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 4:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Barnes 129gr LRX Reply with quote

slimjim wrote:
Elvis, I went back and double checked the numbers. When you have that much of a velocity advantage, around 500 fps over the 140/150gr, it makes a big difference. 1/2mv2 - velocity is squared to get Energy so its a big deal! There are other aspects of terminal performance than just energy. Have good expansion with a bullet that has a lot of energy and you have a winning combination. During my 100 yards tests, you can really see that the 110gr is on-top regarding expansion and penetration. At 200 yards, the GMX starts to over-take it. The GMX is also more accurate out of my rifle at longer ranges which becomes a key discriminator for me.

Great thread. I'm looking into picking up a Sako 75 in .270 and have been looking into components for reloading.

Do you have numbers for your penetration tests?
Back to top
View user's profile
slimjim
Super Member
Super Member


Joined: May 16, 2009
Posts: 7964
Location: Fort Worth TX

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 5:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Barnes 129gr LRX Reply with quote

jimincfalls, here is a chart showing bullet expansion for .270 monolithic bullets (copper). For .270 Win, I prefer the monolithic tipped bullets. In my gun, the Barnes 129 LRX has a slightly faster mv than the Hornady 130 GMX, 3100 vs 3060 fps. You can see that the LRX out expands the GMX out to 500 yards, however, the GMX has very consistent expansion and stays together better than the LRX which can loose a pedal (mass). The GMX is fully expanded by the inside of an elk's nearside ribcage. Both are very accurate in my Tikka T3 Lite. The 130 TSX in this chart is the old design. The latest Barnes 110, 130, and 140 TSX are the newer design and has better expansion charactoristics. I would still go with the GMX or the LRX because they have better BCs and carry their energy better at longer range.

I've tested 140 AccuBonds, 150 AccuBond Long Range, and 150 Interbonds and none of them will hold a candle to expansion, retained weight, and penetration. Be cautious of the 150 ABLR. It is a very soft bullet allowing it to expand down to 1500 fps in a .270. The bad news is it fragments away 2/3 of its mass leaving you with a .223 size bullet for penetration inside of 400 yards. Consistently enough, it will only penetrate as far as a .223 bullet so I won't use it on elk and don't on deer because I don't want that much lead spread through my game - I'm a meat hunter.

one final word, more expansion = less penetration. The GMX will penetrate deeper than the LRX because it has less frontal area. A 130 GMX fired from a .270 will out penetrate a 165 GMX shot from a 300 WM at 500 yards even though it has less kinetic energy because it has a small frontal area. Most bullets penetrate deeper as their kinetic energy decrease because they don't expand as much. Kinetic energy is what determines how much a bullet will expand, not velocity. A 85, 110, and 140 TSX need the same KE to begin to open. The 85 TSX because of its lighter weight has to have 2100 fps. The 110 TSX will open up closer to 1800 fps. I haven't tested the 140 but it should open up at an even lower velocity if it remains stable after impact (thats another story).


_________________
"To anger a conservative, lie to him. To anger a liberal, tell him the truth." - Theodore Roosevelt

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it." - Albert Einstein
Back to top
View user's profile
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » Big Game Hunting
Page 3 of 4
All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next



Jump to:  


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum


Advertisements
 


Valid CSS! Valid HTML 4.01!
Click to check if this page is realy HTML 4.01 compliant for speed :)

All logos and trademarks in this site are property of HuntingNut.com.
The comments are property of their posters, all the rest © 2011 by HuntingNut.com
Interactive software released under GNU GPL, Code Credits, Privacy Policy

.: Upgraded to DragonFly 9.2 by Dizfunkshunal :.