Albums: 308
 Pictures: 2451
  · Views: 820725
  · Votes: 1316
  · Comments: 86

Gar fishing trip...
Discussion that doesnt fit other Topics
Go to page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » General

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Deer Sniper

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 5:59 pm    Post subject: Gar fishing trip... Reply with quote

I managed to pull these three gar in the other day. In order of appearance - 37", 39" and 51"....

DAVID
slimjim

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 7:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Gar fishing trip... Reply with quote

Deer Sniper, are these long-nose or needle-nose gar? What's next? Make bait out of them or a grilling?

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it." - Albert Einstein
Vince
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 11:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Gar fishing trip... Reply with quote

Are they any good to eat mate?

Illegitimi non carborundum
(Never let the bastards grind you down)

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.

"Nulla Si Fa Senza Volonta."
(Without Commitment, Nothing Gets Done)
Elvis

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 1:27 am    Post subject: Re: Gar fishing trip... Reply with quote

looks like you had fun. too busy working to get out...SWMBO threatening not to buy licences this year as we didnt get out much last season...will have to talk her around.

lesterg3

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 4:12 am    Post subject: Re: Gar fishing trip... Reply with quote

Bait or lures? Interested about eating them too. I've caught gar accidentally and have always released them, not knowing if they were OK to eat.

Good looking fish.

The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government. -- Thomas Jefferson

"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed - unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms."--James Madison

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." Thomas Jefferson.

NRA Life Member
Vietnam War Vet 68-69
Deer Sniper

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 6:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Gar fishing trip... Reply with quote

slimjim - these are long nose gar. I deep fry it like catfish or make "gar jerky" out of it....

Vince - these gar are very good to eat! The texture of the meat is like a pork chop and it's taste is kinda like a cross between chicken/frog/catfish - very tasty....

lesterg3 - I caught these 3 gar on large brooder minnows. Gar are one of the "cleanest" fish you can catch and eat. Do NOT eat gar eggs though, they will make you very sick....

Here are a couple of pictures of how I clean a gar. The pictures should be self explanatory but, if you have any questions, just ask!

I nailed the tail to a board and then used a knife and hammer to cut up the middle of the back...

I then filleted out the two back straps, after cutting down the front and back of that armor plating with a pair of cutters. Solid meat with NO bones...

This was what I wound up with...

After getting the gar cleaned and cut into small chunks, I coated it cornmeal seasoned with sea salt, black pepper and Creole seasoning...

After cooking up the gar and some sweet potato fries...

The gar was the first to go and then the fries....... The first thing out of everyone's mouth was - is there any more GAR left?

DAVID
Vince
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Gar fishing trip... Reply with quote

Hammer...armour plating...cutters...what are these buggers "made of" mate??? Laughing

They are a couple of nice looking fillets Dave...and a damn fine scoff was had by all. Very Happy Laughing Laughing Laughing

Elvis

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 12:23 am    Post subject: Re: Gar fishing trip... Reply with quote

and I thought shark was hard to fillet!!!!

radar

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 1:37 am    Post subject: Re: Gar fishing trip... Reply with quote

Sharks are easy, its bloody whitebait that I struggle to fillet!!!!

Only kiwis will get that joke so I'll explain.
For you unfortunates out there Whitebait is a delicacy in New Zealand, its the juvenile form of the galaxid family, about 2 inches long and transparent, it swims upriver every spring and can reach $150/lb in the off season, you dont need a licence but have to adhere to the official season if you get caught breaking the rules you end up in court and loose everything such as vehicles nets etc.

Best cooked in whipped egg with a smidgen of flour to hold it all together then fried in butter like a pancake......between two slices of fresh bread theres not much better.

George Orwell
slimjim

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 6:14 am    Post subject: Re: Gar fishing trip... Reply with quote

radar, do you dip them in flour so you can see what you are eating?

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it." - Albert Einstein
Deer Sniper

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 6:18 am    Post subject: Re: Gar fishing trip... Reply with quote

Vince,

I have cleaned a lot of alligator before and that tough hide is nothing compared to a gar. There is a place about 50 miles from us that I found, that makes cowboy boots, belts and hat bands from gar hides. He said that from all of the exotic hides that he works with, gar is one of the toughest...

I cleaned the three gar in the first pictures and using a brand new pair of tin snips to cut through the hide so the meat could be filleted out, it was still TOUGH cutting. With the amount of boneless meat that that you get out of these fish though, it's worth the time it takes to clean them....

DAVID
lesterg3

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:01 am    Post subject: Re: Gar fishing trip... Reply with quote

Hey Deer Sniper, thanks for the info if I ever get back out for some fishing and happen into a gar I will follow your directions and look forward to some good eat'n.

Just out of curiosity from whence do you hale.

The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government. -- Thomas Jefferson

"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed - unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms."--James Madison

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." Thomas Jefferson.

NRA Life Member
Vietnam War Vet 68-69
Deer Sniper

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:28 am    Post subject: Re: Gar fishing trip... Reply with quote

lesterg3 wrote:
Hey Deer Sniper, thanks for the info if I ever get back out for some fishing and happen into a gar I will follow your directions and look forward to some good eat'n.

Just out of curiosity from whence do you hale.

I hale from the great state of Oklahoma. And you Sir, from whence do you hale?

DAVID
lesterg3

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:46 am    Post subject: Re: Gar fishing trip... Reply with quote

Hey Sooner,

There is no place I call home, only places I have lived and where I am today. Currently living in Chester SC (just barely, moving out soon), but long story cut short; born and 18 years California (out before the fruit and nuts took over), then Michigan for another 18 years, a couple other states in there for a short while and a many foreign countries too, but SC is where my family started and it is apparently where its going to end.

Thanks for the Gar pics and info, and good fishing in the future. Only one thing I like better than hunting and that's fishing. Used to be s-- but, well da-n still is. But that's a totaly different story.

NRA Life Member
Vietnam War Vet 68-69
Vince
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Gar fishing trip... Reply with quote

Sounds like the skin makes good tough leather Dave. I've seen fish skin tanned before and it is surprising how good it looks when tanned.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » General
Page 1 of 2