· Views: 820725
  · Votes: 1316
  · Comments: 86

Ok, no giving me a bad time about this...but
Discussions related to Guns and Firearms
Go to page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aloysius

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 2:33 am    Post subject: Re: Ok, no giving me a bad time about this...but Reply with quote

I'm very happy when I can do such group sitting on the table with my Buckmark Silhouet which carries optics!
Beginning to understand why rifles get most of my love... I can see that when you come close it's too late for me, I'll never stand a chance anymore.
I think it's an educational thing. I can point and hit something with a double barrel with my eyes closed and in the dark, but with a handgun the target has to be very large or very close and even then...
PaulS

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 1:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Ok, no giving me a bad time about this...but Reply with quote

I have some difficulty with my eyes as well but mostly if it is further than 25 yards I need optics. The sights on this CZ are big with white dots to help but the white dots disappear and I focus on the front sight. The one inch bull really helps keep my groups down. It is fuzzy but I aim for the center of the fuzz and that helps. If I try to hurry then I lose track of the rear sight and it drops which makes the groups higher. I was pleasantly surprised that it shoots as well as my 357 - but a lot more pleasant to shoot. There is some muzzle rise so I have to see if I can find a grip that minimizes that. I was not fast on the falling plates - not even as fast as I am with my bolt 22 rifle but it is a new gun and I will have to work with it before I get really good with it.
I am going to practice my point and shoot until I can keep the rounds in a 6 inch circle at 25 yards and then I will be ready for three gun competition.
I think putting fiber optic sights would help keeping timed follow up shots in a group but it might also make it more difficult to forget about the sights when instinctive shooting.

You guys probably know this but that target is the best one out of the days shooting it is my "reference" target and not the target of record. My average aggregate group size is about 5" inches and three inches to the left. This one target shows the accuracy of the gun and ammo for future reference but I keep the aggregate target for my shooting records.

So and So's pages on the internet = NOT reliable loading data
Always check data against manuals
NEVER exceed maximum listed loads
Vince
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 4:02 am    Post subject: Re: Ok, no giving me a bad time about this...but Reply with quote

Don't know if you are allowed to use a DOT sight or a hologram sight mate, but both are a good option when your eyes are getting dicky. Another option is a Ghost Ring or aperture sight if you aren't allowed optics of any sort.

Illegitimi non carborundum
(Never let the bastards grind you down)

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.

"Nulla Si Fa Senza Volonta."
(Without Commitment, Nothing Gets Done)
Tremblay

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 1:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Ok, no giving me a bad time about this...but Reply with quote

www.w0ipl.net/Shooting...chart.jpeg

This helped a lot. I used this to train the officers that were under me at the F.P.S. doing security.

Never argue with a stupid person ,cause they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience. Mark Twwain
Elvis

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 9:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Ok, no giving me a bad time about this...but Reply with quote

thats neat tremblay....... sure gives you a place to look. Ive seen similar written for rifles but never seen it on a chart like that.

Tremblay

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 9:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Ok, no giving me a bad time about this...but Reply with quote

It will help

Never argue with a stupid person ,cause they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience. Mark Twwain
PaulS

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 2:09 am    Post subject: Re: Ok, no giving me a bad time about this...but Reply with quote

Vince,
In the competition I can use any sight I want but the fastest way to hit the targets is using my instincts. I just have to train in order to get used to it.

Trmblay,
I have those targets and they are a real benefit in developing a consistent trigger and grip. The way I train is to shoot at a target and adjust my fire to bring the point of impact to where I am looking. It's a lot like learning to point your finger where you want the bullet to hit. I have done it with two other hand guns and it still works well. You just have to train the muscles for the gun and then let muscle memory take over.

BigBlue

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 4:59 am    Post subject: Re: Ok, no giving me a bad time about this...but Reply with quote

Great shooting! The CZ 75B has a very good reputation for reliability and accuracy. As you say, they are a bit on the heavy side, but no more so than any all steel guns. I have always been a fan of DA/SA pistols, especially those made by Sig. My everyday carry is usually a Sig P239 in .357 Sig. I bought CZ 75B a while back and it's every bit as good as my Sig pistols. I have another pistol sold by CZ that I'm breaking in with hopes that it can join my carry rotation. It's a Dan Wesson V-BOB. Here's a photo of my CZ 75B and one of my Dan Wesson.

PaulS

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 9:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Ok, no giving me a bad time about this...but Reply with quote

My CZ has the black plastic grips at this point but it is the same model.
I looked into the Sigs but I opted out of the striker fire and decocking lever. I prefer the exposed hammer for decocking.
Your Dan Wesson looks good does it shoot as well as it looks?

BigBlue

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 4:02 am    Post subject: Re: Ok, no giving me a bad time about this...but Reply with quote

All of my Sigs have an exposed hammer, 226, 239 and 2340, but the decocking lever allows it to be done safely with one hand. The Dan Wesson is a joy to shoot. Great trigger, very tight metal to metal tolerances, but I can still remove the barrel bushing without a wrench. The first day I picked it up I took it out back for some informal off hand shooting and at 15 yards three shots were within an inch of each other. It's very close to the quality of an Ed Brown or Wilson at half the cost.
PaulS

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 1:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Ok, no giving me a bad time about this...but Reply with quote

Well, after putting some 400 rounds through my CZ I am extremely happy with the gun overall. I do need to do some trigger work on the single action trigger, put some fiber optic adjustable sights on it and shoot it a bunch more to get used to pointing it. In instinctive fire at 7 yards I shoot low by the 6th falling plate. Low enough to miss completely, so I need to work on that a lot more and as I get better I need to continue to move back toward 25 yards to be happy with myself. The gun is a pleasure to shoot and has digested everything I have put in it. I am going to load some rounds that are below the starting loads to see how low I can go without causing function problems. This should help to limit the muzzle rise and make it easier to get it on follow up shots quicker. I contacted Hodgdon to find out if there was any concern for loading Titegroup lower than the suggested starting loads and was told that they don't figure out minimum loads and their starting loads are a percentage of maximum. I was cautioned to take 1/10 grain drops and to watch for signs of low pressure. I decided to load down .1 grain at a time until I get failure to function or squib loads whichever comes first. I think the gun will fail to function reliably before I get any squib loads so that's my plan. Keep in mind that this gun is a competition only gun and will not be used for self defense under most any conditions. The hardest target I have to hit are steel plates on a star - the plates have to fall away so I may have to find the load that works on them and use it.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » Gun & Firearm Discussions
Page 2 of 2