Coppermine Stats
Photo Albums
 Albums: 308
 Pictures: 2451
  · Views: 820725
  · Votes: 1316
  · Comments: 86

Miss Fires in a 45-70
Discussion regarding the reloading of ammunition and tuning of loads for accuracy
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » Reloading Ammunition

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mc223

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 10:46 am    Post subject: Re: Miss Fires in a 45-70 Reply with quote

I'm still thinking cotaminated powder.

Is that spray lube the one from Lyman? If it is the Lyman stuff you must use extra care to make sure all of the lube is off and OUT of the case. It WILL ruin the powder charge.
Not Just pickin on Lyman. There are other lubes tha behave the same way.
I have had a similar experiance when loadind 223 and using Lyman spray lube. new powder good taper crimp and fizzle. turned out to be case lube in the case.

Badshot
Rookie Member
Rookie Member

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 12:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Miss Fires in a 45-70 Reply with quote

Bushmaster. His mother is the 22 issue. Though she use to go bow hunting with me. We were on a stand south of Tallahassee, when I grabbed her head and twisted it just as a mother and her cub stood. So I don't know what her issue is. Besides Dillion are pretty easy to use once set up.

1895Ss The bullet is a 305 grain jacketed. And no did not use any crimp at all.
Will try to crimp some and see what happens tomorrow.
1895ss

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 2:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Miss Fires in a 45-70 Reply with quote

The best crimp I have found is with the Lee Factory Crimp Die. You can adjust the amount of crimp and it crimps the same even if your cartridges are not all exactly the same length. Smile

george20042007

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 4:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Miss Fires in a 45-70 Reply with quote

OK Badshot, that's a little better. I'm glad to know you have loading experience. That makes it easier to address as you know most of the lingo. I'm still puzzeled though as I don't crimp my 45-70 loads much. I've used CCI 200 primers with IMR4198 @ 38 grns for a 350 grn Jacketed flat point or 55 grns of Varget pushing a 300 grn cast lead flat point.
Keep it coming...
Vince
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 7:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Miss Fires in a 45-70 Reply with quote

Gidday Badshot.

I'm not familiar with the Lyman Spray Lube so I won't comment on it. I use Pacific lube. Its a honey coloured very thick sticky liquid. Had a little bottle (about 2 - 3 oz) for the last 20 + years and still have nearly half left. This stuff is pretty good. Whichever lube you use I believe you must clean your cases thoroughly after sizing to remove any traces of the lube. I use CRC Brakleen, very volatile, but cleans oil etc off really well and dries within minutes without using water. This avoids any contamination problems and also stops crap and corruption sticking to your loaded rounds which can mark your chamber.

Reference your grandson.....I know how you feel. I have two grandsons who live in a great pig hunting region over here in Australia and they are always asking me to bring a rifle with me when I visit. My daughter (their Mum) refuses point blank to allow them to have any contact with guns because she does not like them. In fact a pig hunt I was planning on next month may now not go ahead because she won't let me have a gun in her house so I am not allowed to take one with me! @*%^# Mad Mad Mad

Keep us tabbed on how your problem is resolving....its very interesting.

Cheers, Vince

Illegitimi non carborundum
(Never let the bastards grind you down)

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.

"Nulla Si Fa Senza Volonta."
(Without Commitment, Nothing Gets Done)
Flint54

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 1:39 am    Post subject: Re: Miss Fires in a 45-70 Reply with quote

Cool If you are having problems with the 3031 try another powder. There are many good powders out there that may be very well more suited toward your low pressure loads. I would try some Accurate 5744, they have a 300gr Cowboy load with a max of 31gr and 18,500 psi. check link.

www.accuratepowder.com...%20162.pdf

www.accuratepowder.com..._rifle.htm

5744 does need a good firm crimp to be consistant. Cool
Blaine

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 3:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Miss Fires in a 45-70 Reply with quote

Badshot wrote:
they set for about two week before I actually finished loading them.

Something that comes to mind.......as they sat, where they exposed to high humidity? When you say sat, I assume you mean the primed cases sat for 2 weeks. The primers could have soaked up enough humidity to dampen the spark? Just a thought.

Blaine

1895ss

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 9:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Miss Fires in a 45-70 Reply with quote

Blaine wrote:
Badshot wrote:
they set for about two week before I actually finished loading them.

Something that comes to mind.......as they sat, where they exposed to high humidity? When you say sat, I assume you mean the primed cases sat for 2 weeks. The primers could have soaked up enough humidity to dampen the spark? Just a thought.

Blaine
Blaine I'm just asking & no argument intended.
I know it was just a thought and I'm wondering why you are thinking this but what would be the diff if the primers where in the paper carton or the brass at the same reloading bench as far as soaking up humidity? Smile I have had primed cases sitting there for months and never had a problem but then again I may not have as much humidity as some of you folks south of here. I am wondering if anyone has had this problem before........? Smile

Blaine

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 8:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Miss Fires in a 45-70 Reply with quote

It was just a thought on my part. The primers sitting in their containers are surrounded by at least 2 layers of absorbent cardboard material, whereas the primers in the cases facing up to the air....I don't know. As I say, it was just a thought. Whenever I prime cases, I always finish the load immediately so that the primers won't be left out in the open air. I load in my basement, and I'm always worried about humidity. I store my primers in a 50mm can sealed to the air. You might be right....it may not be a problem.

Blaine

Badshot
Rookie Member
Rookie Member

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 5:48 am    Post subject: Re: Miss Fires in a 45-70 Reply with quote

I have some pictures now.

I'm thinking now crimping will resolve the problem.

45-70 miss fires.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  24.83 KB
 Viewed:  8054 Time(s)

45-70 miss fires.jpg

Badshot
Rookie Member
Rookie Member

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 5:50 am    Post subject: Re: Miss Fires in a 45-70 Reply with quote

I should have mentioned the damaged bullet is from knocking the bullet out of the barrel.
Bushmaster

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 7:31 am    Post subject: Re: Miss Fires in a 45-70 Reply with quote

Good answer. Almost thought you might be trying to shoot a rifle chambered for .45-70 but the barrel had not been changed to .45 L O L.

DEMOCRACY Two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for lunch...
LIBERTY A well armed sheep contesting the outcome of the vote...
1895ss

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 9:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Miss Fires in a 45-70 Reply with quote

That looks very odd. Shocked Wierd

Flint54

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 4:25 am    Post subject: Re: Miss Fires in a 45-70 Reply with quote

wtf After viewing your picture I'll bet you are having a powder problem! If your primers have enough oomphhh to push your bullets into the rifling and you have to hit them out you are definately not having a problem with your primers!! The way that your powder is formed into a column and not falling apart leads me to believe that your powder has been greatly contaminated. Take the remainder of that powder and sprinkle it on your lawn, it appears that the only thing that it is good for at this point is fertlizer. Get some new powder and try er again, I highly recommend the AA5744 for low pressure loads in a Trapdoor. Best Wishes and Happy Shootin. Cool Cool
1895ss

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2006 10:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Miss Fires in a 45-70 Reply with quote

Badshot have you solved your problem of misfires? Let us know what you found.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » Reloading Ammunition
Page 2 of 3