Albums: 308
 Pictures: 2451
  · Views: 820723
  · Votes: 1316
  · Comments: 86

Coyote calls
By Popular Demand: Discussions related to Varmint Hunting
Go to page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » Varmint Hunting

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Crackshot

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 3:09 pm    Post subject: Coyote calls Reply with quote

Hello all, One question. I have a hand operated rabbit call for coyotes, I get busted all the time, Are the electronic calls any good and can you get them at a reasonable price.
Any input would be taken... Very Happy
View user's profile ICQ Number AIM Address MSN Messenger Yahoo Messenger Photo Gallery
george20042007

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 2:20 am    Post subject: Re: Coyote calls Reply with quote

I have two hand callers & they do work, but, can't get them to come very close. Most often I have to take a shot at 300 + yards out here. After a while, they learn not to come at all. I too have been thinking of an electronic caller so I can set up an ambush at a good distance to improve my chances. What I've seen so far cost atleast $200or more. Shocked But, at that price it's a compromise as the better ones are even more expensive. I do believe that the electronic callers will improve your hunt though.

I'd like to see more from others on this subject. Thanks for bringing it up.
Keep it coming...
PaulS

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 3:39 am    Post subject: Re: Coyote calls Reply with quote

My brother and I put together an electronic call of our own. We got the tapes of different types of calls and made a digital (CD) copy of them. We then cleaned up the noise and "fuzz" in the calls and used it as a Master. We taped a few of the calls on each tape and connected an "all weather" speaker (metal CB horn type speaker) to a 50 foot cable that we could plug into a portable tape player. (you could do the same thing with a cd player today back then we didn't have portable cd players). We would get to our site before light and set the speaker in brush, heavily scented. We ran the cord to either some natural cover or a blind that we had set up a couple of weeks in advance. put down cover scent, Plug in the battery pack (two 6 volt lantern batteries in series for 12 volts) to the tape player, plug in the speaker and wait for the light to come. Before dawn but just after the first signs of light things would start to come alive. The more natural sounds around us the more we liked it. If you bring out some meat that had gone bad in the fridge waiting to be eaten you can lay it out for the crows. You can't shoot the crows though - it just makes the dogs more comfortable to see them feeding when you are calling. Start the call out loud and frequent and then taper down the volume and play it less often - switch to the different calls as the day goes on and the 'yotes just keep coming.

So and So's pages on the internet = NOT reliable loading data
Always check data against manuals
NEVER exceed maximum listed loads
Handloader

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 8:56 am    Post subject: Re: Coyote calls Reply with quote

PaulS: that's an impressive effort! Question? Do you find your efforts produce more than with a hand call?

Crackshot: over the past 46 years of calling I have tried many different methods and continue to refine the process. I know other varmint callers with significant experience and success and will tell you up front that none of us have come to identical conclusions about calls and calling. Circumstances vary and exprienced callers adapt to the given situations and select the calls or the programs accordingly.

I have eight basic hand calls that cover most needs as well as electronic calls. My preference is for the hand calls as they afford the user more control in tonals, variations etc and have been the most successful for me. Open reed calls extend that versatility and just one call can do anything from coyote yelps to cottontail or jackrabbit distress to fawn bleats. They take a little longer to master, but, ample opportunities arise to practice, like rush hour traffic (preferably with the windows up and the AC on). Hand calls are lighter and far more portable, a factor with many stands that we may set up over half a mile or more from the vehicle. They are inexpensive.

My electronic collection actually includes some of the very, very old ones that used 45rpm records! Then came a whole procession of new and better machines with Johnny Stewart cassettes, a very heavy and cumbersome thing, but one that still can produce results. Now, my preferred electronic is the Fox Pro due to the range of programs, the remote features and the portability. Sometimes when I want to take a break from the handhelds, out comes the Fox Pro.

The Fox Pro's (as well as others) main advantage is the ability to place the call some distance from the stand. The remote aids volume and frequency of call control and when combined with a simple decoy (we use some bundled feathers that are hung from a branch or brush nearby), allows enough misdirection for easier shots on closing coyotes or bobcats. The repetitious calls from an electronic can get annoying, especially when on a given stand for longer than normal times.

Electronics are often chosen, IMO, by those that feel they can't master the hand held calls and are willing to part with big bucks. One of our local varmint calling clubs prohibits electronics and their members number among the most notable of varmint callers in terms of success. Still, they have a good function and can be very effective --- make sure to bring extra batteries.

Most experienced varmint callers that I know use both hand helds and electronic and have enough field time to know when one may be preferable to the other. There are a great many superb hand held call manufacturers and one only has to check out Sceery or Modern Calls (personal favorities) to see the variety. My most used calls include the Sceery Bull Elk Seducer which easily can produce the woodpecker distress!

Too many callers get hung up on trying to replicate the exact sounds of distressed rabbits or birds, IMO. Coyotes and bobcats will come to any sound that gets their attention, so perfection in mastering a specific call may be less a factor than creating a sound that simply stimulates the curiosity of varmints in the area. If you have heard a lot of jackrabbit distress from actual jackrabbits, none are exactly alike anyway.

I apologize for being so long winded, but, our little Varmint Hunting section has been too quiet lately and I still have half an hour before leaving for work.
Handloader

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 9:02 am    Post subject: Re: Coyote calls Reply with quote

Crackshot: an addendum.

Getting busted, in my experience, is far less a factor of the type of call being used than it is of setting up a stand properly, being still -- absolutely still -- and of scent masking.
Crackshot

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 9:06 am    Post subject: Re: Coyote calls Reply with quote

I am currently useing a Doe call that souds like a rabbit in distress, and a hand held "and manipulated" Squirrel call.

Crackshot

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 10:00 am    Post subject: Re: Coyote calls Reply with quote

I agree, I think also the fact that I have to manipulate the calls by hand puts all there attention on me or my general location, Hence the problem of being busted so often. I dont have a partner to help me call very often, my Daughters are so rapped up into school stuff, And the wife dont like to be sitting still more than 2 minutes.

Last edited by Crackshot on Tue Jul 25, 2006 7:35 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile ICQ Number AIM Address MSN Messenger Yahoo Messenger Photo Gallery
PaulS

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 4:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Coyote calls Reply with quote

Hand calls take some skill to handle well so there is a learning curve. Electronic calls don't have nearly the curve or the skill.
Just remember that those coyotes stay alive by noticing the little things. Proper use of cover scents and enticements are going to help you bring them in close. If they see something different - smell something out of place then they are going to be spooked and you will never get a shot at them. One thing we did learn about coyotes - They require rodents in their diet. Without enough rodents they will not breed. Get rodent distress calls and scents that compliment them and good scent to hide you and your equipment and any coyote will have a difficult time staying away. Resist shooting until they are close - the closer the first one is the longer you will be able to shoot before they find out how far away they have to be to stay out of range.

So and So's pages on the internet = NOT reliable loading data
Always check data against manuals
NEVER exceed maximum listed loads
george20042007

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 1:38 am    Post subject: Re: Coyote calls Reply with quote

My handcalling skills seem to bring in Quail more than coyotes. Mind you I'm not complaining, I just have to remember I've got my .243 with me. Very Happy I've got to get one of those electronic callers, as the saying goes, "work smarter, not harder". Very Happy

Maybe I should bring a shotgun along (when it's quial season).
Keep it coming...
Little Obion
Rookie Member
Rookie Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 11:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Coyote calls Reply with quote

Your stand choice has more to do with your success than anything else. By setting up where the coyote has to go out into the open to wind you, you force him to stay in the cover in front of you. Choose points or corners of the woods or fencerows connected to a bedding area.If in a heavily wooded area choose ridge lines with gently sloping points coming up out of the bottoms.

Not every wood lot you choose to call will hold a coyote either. Get out and do some listening at sundown for howling. Where you hear them at that time will be within a mile or so of the bedding area. Pups are pretty vocal at this time of year.

As for hand calls, I myself prefer them for a lot of reasons. Cheap being one of them. Versatility is the other and main reason. Coyotes get used to hearing the electronic calls, they catch on to the rythem of them since they have a repeating cycle. Mouth calls on the other hand are what you do with them. You can blow them soft or loud , constantly change the rythem of the sound.

Look around for a Haydels government hunter, a Johnny Stewart pc3 or a Lohman dual tone call. The JS pc3 is a bite call and the most versatile of the three. All of these are easy to master and have killed a pot load of coyotes and other predators over the years. The JS pc3 is well known for calling bobcats and would be my first choice of the three calls. Just remember the sound you make is not as important as where you make it Very Happy

On a side note, Coyotehunter_1 invited me here a while back. I finally got around to joining up. I have been at this game since 88 here in western Ky and having a ball doing it. I have gotten so deep into this sport that I even dabble at making calls myself. I can make a wide variety of sounds on just about any open reed call made and prefer the open reed calls. I make a good closed reed and am still working on getting the perfect open reed to suit me and my style of calling. The howler I use most of the time is a custom made Cronk Killer call, it is one of the best calls of this type I have used. My weapons of choice are a remington 788 in 22-250 , a pair of Marlin 22 mags and a remington 870 shotgun loaded with bb shot.

If you want to talk calls or just plain killing coyotes in the east, give me a holler. L.O.
popgun

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 1:32 am    Post subject: Re: Coyote calls Reply with quote

Hi L.O.,
Welcome to hunting nut and we welcome your knowledge. Coyotehunter_1 and I are old friends and have hunted together in Tennessee. I just can't get him out of Tennessee to join me for a hunt in Georigia. I even have a regular pack that run up and down my driveway every night and I still can't get him down here.
I would like to see more of your calls so maybe you could make another post and include some photos of your handy work.
And, if you every happen to be down my way you are welcome to help me reduce some traffic in the driveway.

Crackshot

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 7:38 am    Post subject: Re: Coyote calls Reply with quote

Thanks for the info Little Obion, very very informative. I "we" apprecieate your knowledge and will take advantage of it.

Little Obion
Rookie Member
Rookie Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 9:04 am    Post subject: Re: Coyote calls Reply with quote

I do believe I tried to get you to come to Ky a time or two Popgun. Don't feel to bad about getting Chet to come down there though. I only got him to come to Ky twice since we met years ago. He is a lot like me, we don't think we left anything anywhere so no need to go looking for it Very Happy You know come to think of it, he only visited me in Ky and hunted in west Tennessee Cool

I crashed and burned a puter a few weeks ago and don't have everything in this one yet so I don't have any pics at this time. When I get some loaded I will post them. The calls I have right now are single reeds in several diferent woods. Walnut,cherry, primosa,white oak crotch,and mulberry. And I have experimented with other woods as well that grow here. You can build a call out of just about anything that will produce predators, but some woods just seem to do it a little better than others. I have even seen calls made from copper tubing that produced very well.

Crackshot, hunt yourself up that Johnny Stewart pc3. It is very versatile and can produce a wide variety of sounds with some practice. Crow , fawn bleats, jackrabbit, cottontail, bird distress in a variety of pitches, and grey fox distress is possible with a lot of practice. It can freeze up so keep it inside your clothing when not in use. The only calls you can get more out of are the open reeds. You don't need to know all of these sounds to be productive. And your sound doesn't have to be a perfect copy of that sound, just close and have the correct rythem. The hardest part of this game is learning to find predators consistantly in your area. L.O.
Crackshot

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 9:34 am    Post subject: Re: Coyote calls Reply with quote

Finding them is not a problem right at this point, not getting busted is. they are splitting up on me sometimes coming in in pairs and I cant see them both and I get busted by one or the other of the pair often. Once I had them come in 4 at a time???? whats up with that?
A friend told me it was probably litter mates that had not split up yet.

Little Obion
Rookie Member
Rookie Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 10:11 am    Post subject: Re: Coyote calls Reply with quote

Here's how to deal with your multiples.

Go to wally world or radio shack and get yourself a pocket tape player and a pair of amplifying speakers. Order or buy locally a couple of Johnny Stewart tapes, canine puppies or grey fox distress. This little rig is cheap and has enough volume to get their attention. They don't have to be as loud as you think. If you can hear it at fifty yards , it is loud enough for calling coyotes. You can buy this setup for less than fifty dollars.

As for placement, a crosswind position is best. It sounds like what you are dealing with is the mated pair and possibly one or two of the pups still depending on the adults. Choose a position where you can see the down wind side well but not where they will aproach across your scent stream. A good place is where a fencerow and wood lot meet. Set the caller up in the corner and choose a spot about fifty yards away to sit. Turn it on and hussle to your position. You must be in shooting position so that only minor movement to get on target is needed. With a wind blowing alongside but not into the cover , they will come to the outside edge to try and scent the sound source. They will expose themselves for just a few minutes. Whistle or lipsqueak to stop them and take the shot.

I do hunt coyotes that work as a pack. They are very dificult to say the least but it can be done with hand calls. Setup is very criticle. These animals are teaching me lessons all the time. They will definately hand the experienced caller his hat and laugh at him.Sometimes I can manage to kill one out of the group. Most of the time they bust me and tell the whole world about it. I do this in big timber areas. It can be really anoying to listen to as many as seven animals just out of site. If you can manage to kill one of the adults you will break up the pack and be able to take the rest as individuals.

I find that the pack hunters have learned how to jump prey with a decoy system. One of the group will always circle downwind to surprise the prey from behind while the others aproach from upwind. The deer runs at an angle thinking to escape the one behind it and instead runs into the group. I find these kills sites all the time and am always amazed at how well they execute the kill. This pincer move they use is very effective! I have watched while they did this to a gobbler I was trying to work. Needless to say the female did not raise any pups that year. L.O.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » Varmint Hunting
Page 1 of 2