Coppermine Stats
Photo Albums
 Albums: 308
 Pictures: 2452
  · Views: 824013
  · Votes: 1316
  · Comments: 86

Lyman DPSII digital powder system
Discussion regarding the reloading of ammunition and tuning of loads for accuracy
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » Reloading Ammunition

View previous topic :: View next topic  
twofifty

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 3:13 am    Post subject: Lyman DPSII digital powder system Reply with quote

Hello all. I am new here. I live in the Rocky Mountains, so there's lots of big critters around.

Started lurking yesterday and quickly saw this is a friendly and well informed place.

Got back into shooting last year - at the range - and will reload this year.
My eyes not being so good, a digital scale combined with a powder delivery system seems like a smart idea: less eye fatigue, fewer steps, reduced chance of errors.

From a search here I see that many of you still check your digital against your beam scale, which makes me wonder how useful and reliable these devices really are.

The Lyman 1200 DPS II system caught my fancy.

Could anyone here comment on that particular digital Lyman's behaviour? Does it settle down quickly rather than flickering its readout? Does it give reproducible readings, meaning that if a load reads out at 29.5 grains, it does so every time?

Are there other digital powder systems - like the RCBS Chargemaster Combo - that you've bench experience with and that I should evaluate? What are their good and not so good points?

Thanks.
Dimitri

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 5:51 am    Post subject: Re: Lyman DPSII digital powder system Reply with quote

twofifty,

Welcome to the forums. Howdy

Never used that Lyman system but my 2 cents about checking Digital and for that matter beam scales is that it needs to be done, the scale can get damaged many different ways and that you should always have a couple of standard weights to check the scale before reloading to make sure its measuring properly before reloading. Smile

Dimitri

Bushmaster

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 8:10 am    Post subject: Re: Lyman DPSII digital powder system Reply with quote

Welcome to this fine site...twofifty

I am one of those that uses my RCBS 5-0-5 to check my RCBS electronic scale. I only make this check if I see what my feable mind sees as an error. So far my balance scale has proven that the electronic scale was right on and my mind was off. It is still reasuring to be able to check and re calibrate my mind. I've been using the electronic scale for about 12 years and have been quite happy with it. I haven't gone to the "automatic despensing electronic scales" yet, but they may have a future on my loading bench. I'm not sure if anyone on here uses them yet either, but on one of the other sites that I frequent there is quite the following for them. The most popular is the RCBS "Auto-despenser". Just what I've been reading...

DEMOCRACY Two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for lunch...
LIBERTY A well armed sheep contesting the outcome of the vote...
Crackshot

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 10:36 am    Post subject: Re: Lyman DPSII digital powder system Reply with quote

Mine works good, I have to keep the dust off or it tends to get wonky. But thats everything that I know of. Always check you digitals with a beam and get check weights to check both.

wncchester

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 12:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Lyman DPSII digital powder system Reply with quote

I'm a beam scale man. Somehow, I can't get through the fog of having a digital which I would need to check against a depentable beam just to be sure the digital is working correctly!

Of course it needs to be mentioned that using a 40 year beam scale that doesn't have magnetic damping isn't a good thing because, while they are very accurate, they tend to swing more than we would like. But, to the best of my knowledge, no beam scale made in the last 25 years has magetic damping.

My 40 year old Ohaus (Lyman branded) M5 scale will detect the weight of a half-inch mark of a dull #2 pencil on a piece of paper. Don't know, but don't think any digital made for reloaders can do that. (My scale is still produced as the RCBS 1010 but the less expensive 505 has the same design.) Anyone want to bet that their expensive new digital scale will still be working perfectly after 40 years or more?

What is supposed to be the actual benefit of the much more expensive but tempermental digital scales anyway? I really don't understand their value EXCEPT for weighing cases and that's not much! I often weight powder but rarely weigh cases so ..... why a digital, if you will?

Note, I'm not knocking them, just don't understand their attraction. And as part of an automated measureing system, grant they are usable.
1895ss

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 8:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Lyman DPSII digital powder system Reply with quote

Welcome twofifty

All I use is my RCBS 5-0-5 scale cause that's the only scale I have. I check it's accuracy from time to time before use and it has always been on. I don't really see how I need another scale. Maybe someday I'll get an auto-dispensing scale but this one works OK by me.

moose2

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 8:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Lyman DPSII digital powder system Reply with quote

I have and use a Lyman Digital scale that I received as a gift. I don't know about all digital scales, but mine seems to be pretty tempermental.
It seems to be pretty sensivite to pressure and temp. changes and as conditions may change during a loading session, it may have to be recalibrated several times. It may take 15 to 20 minutes when you first turn it on to get it calibrated. All in all when conditions are stable it works great. If not, still use my RCBS 5-0-5 scale like alot of other folks here.--tr

bkthomas
Rookie Member
Rookie Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 9:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Lyman DPSII digital powder system Reply with quote

I have the Lyman digital scale also. As moose2 stated, it is very tempermental and sensitive. I have double checked powder throws and they are always right on the money but it can be flustrating due to the sensitivity issues sometimes. On the plus side the dispenser works great. I wished that the powder tube was a little higher away from the tray though.
twofifty

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 11:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Lyman DPSII digital powder system Reply with quote

Thanks for the welcome, and for your comments. Hmmmm: Some like these Lymans, others don't.

Enough of you guys find the Lymans tempermental/sensitive for that to be a concern to me. And those that like it cross-check with a beam scale...

Having to cross-check Lyman dispensed charges in a 5-0-5 would defeat the benefits I seek, which is to streamline the process AND give my bad eyes a break. However, going with an all-manual sytem means squinting at a beam scale as I trickle powder...this will wipe my eyes out and turn the whole process into a chore.

If I go ahead with a digital dispensing system, I would definitely purchase and use a full set of std. weights to check calibration across the range - thanks for suggesting that. Keeping any scale away from drafts and temp changes would be SOP.

Having said that, you guys will understand that I want to compare the Lyman DPSII with other brands of digital scale/auto-dispensing combo sytems.

So:

What about the RCBS Chargemaster 1500 Combo...the digital scale matched up to a powder dispenser? Is it tempermental and finicky too? Do the powder companies make digital dispensers?

Bushmaster, perhaps you could PM me the URL for that other site you spoke of.
Bushmaster

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 11:54 am    Post subject: Re: Lyman DPSII digital powder system Reply with quote

If you have a digital scale you only need to check it against your beam scale when ever you have a doubt about the electronic. I have not had any problem with my RCBS digital in 12 years. I do, however, check it against my RCBS 5-0-5 every so often...Oh say about once a quarter (that's 3 months for those like 1895zz who have a problem with fractions Very Happy )

I sent you a PM...

DEMOCRACY Two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for lunch...
LIBERTY A well armed sheep contesting the outcome of the vote...
moose2

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 12:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Lyman DPSII digital powder system Reply with quote

twofiftyi I have a friend of mine who just received his new PactII combo dispenser. He will be using it for the first time this weekend. As I am interested in someday getting a combo also, I'm sure I will be getting some feedback on this particular brand which I will be happy to share--tr

minerfile

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 6:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Lyman DPSII digital powder system Reply with quote

I have a PACTII that ive been using for two years now. I has worked fine +/-.1gr. it's a little slow but is consistent and holds it's calibration well and comes with it's own check weights.
twofifty

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 2:04 am    Post subject: Re: Lyman DPSII digital powder system Reply with quote

Bushmaster, thanks for the PM, good info there.

The 6mmBR folk did a full writeup in late 2005-early 2006, and it looks like RCBS has made some software changes since then. I've asked about those changes and will share them here.

The comments posted here are most valuable to me. I now see these units are very sensitive to their environment: esp. temp & pressure.

I've also learned that the electronics are sensitive to static buildup and to voltage variations from the receptacle the unit is plugged in. Apparently, the fix is to plug them into a line conditioner, or a UPS unit. Vibrations are not good either. And it helps to level the unit on a dead-flat surface, like granite.

There is something in me that dislikes workarounds: good $$ should equal performance that you can stake your safety on. If my eyes were still good, I'd just get a beam scale/measure/trickler and be done with it.

My mind is not set on any one particular make at this point. I'll certainly look more closely at the Chargemaster Combo before I make the call.
Vince
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 7:03 am    Post subject: Re: Lyman DPSII digital powder system Reply with quote

Welcome to HuntingNut twofifty.....sit awhile and take the weight off your feet.

I too have been looking at digital scales, although the brands mentioned so far are far too expensive here in Australia...well beyond my reach financially anywayz. Consequently I have been looking at the smaller pocket scales designed for jewellers to weigh precious stones and metals.

Now, I figure that if they are good enough to give accurate weights of these type of items then they will be good enough for reloading. Also, they are cheap enough to replace easily if necessary.

Currently I am using a Redding beam scale and I have no reason to doubt its accuracy. It always churns out consistent loads. Like you, my eyes have developed "old fella's laziness"....I can't see the measurements on the scale. I have been looking at the idea of setting up a small magnifying glass in front of the measurement scale to make seeing it easier. I just have to be sure that there is no distortion that will cause an incorrect weight.

Keep us informed of your search results mate.

Cheers, Vince

Illegitimi non carborundum
(Never let the bastards grind you down)

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.

"Nulla Si Fa Senza Volonta."
(Without Commitment, Nothing Gets Done)
bodyalter

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 11:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Lyman DPSII digital powder system Reply with quote

well I'm not an old feller but my eyes aren't the best. I notice you all talking about squinting at your scales and I am forced to ask what portion? are you looking at the needle or at the adjustments? I only ask because I recently switched from an old Lyman to a new Pacific/Hornady and the type and spacing on the hornaday makes things a lot easier on my eyeballs.

not trying to pick a fight or bruise any egos, just wondering.

as for the digital scale/powder measure set up. I've heard and read opinions all across the line from them being better than sliced bread to being teets on a boar worthless. Guess you will get out of those products what you think you will get. meaning if you think they are sporadic and not accurate, you will end up feeling that way about your purchase. our brains will do us in if we let um.

Matt

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » Reloading Ammunition
Page 1 of 1