Pictures: 2452
  · Views: 824084
  · Votes: 1316
  · Comments: 86

45acp or 38/45 clerke
Discussions related to Guns and Firearms

View previous topic :: View next topic  
gelandangan

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 11:18 pm    Post subject: 45acp or 38/45 clerke Reply with quote

Since the #$%^&^ new gun law introduced in Aussie, I have to hand in my Para Ordnance P14-45. Now this leave me with a big dilemma. The buy-back do not include ammo cases and reloader dies. so, I have over 1000 45acp case in my possession with no gun to shoot it.

Now came the good bit Smile A mate, a GOOD mate, gave me an old break action 32 long rifle. The barrel of this old rifle is fully rusted out, but the action is quite good. Now, I reckon this rifle could handle the mere 19000 CUP from the 45 ACP easily. So, I am thinking to re barrel the little thing and use it for hunting.

The question is, which is the better calibre? Confused

a straight 45ACP (I have all the necessary tools for its reloads, plus it would give a much bigger wound channel) or should I opt for a new 38-45 clerke (neck down the 45 to .357 for a better velocity).

Now bear in mind that I do not shoot anything further than about 100 meters so anything with a velocity and trajectory (and hopefully accuracy) of a 22LR is all what I want. Using either caliber, my target velocity would be in the range of 1000 to 1200 fps provided the accuracy is okay.

I read that the Taylor knockout number of the 45 ACP is as high as a 270win, makes it quite an attractive calibre.

Gelan

Do - Not try!

gelandangan.weebly.com/
4rum

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 6:54 am    Post subject: Re: 45acp or 38/45 clerke Reply with quote

I'm biased so don't take anything I say too seriously. I just really, really like the .45 ACP. You already have brass, you have good knowledge of a recognized favorite world wide (the .45). My vote is for the .45.

Best of luck with your project whatever you do. Please keep us posted, I'd love to hear about your 'new' rifle when it's up and running.

Last edited by 4rum on Sat Jan 27, 2007 9:31 am; edited 1 time in total
shrpshtrjoe
Super Red Neck Member
Super Red Neck Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 7:03 am    Post subject: Re: 45acp or 38/45 clerke Reply with quote

Howdy, I don't no much about the 38-45, the 45 is time tested and a very good round. I think they both should do what you want. If it's a matter of ease stick with 45 you have what you need now. If ur wantin to play then go with 38-45 :D. Good luck with your choice and as 4rum stated keep us posted with your progress Very Happy
Joe

P E T A
People Eating Tasty Animals
Jack

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 11:52 am    Post subject: Re: 45acp or 38/45 clerke Reply with quote

The 45ACP will be a lot easier- no reforming brass.
The 38-45 Clerke has been around for quite a while, the concept being to be able to use 38 caliber wadcutters out of a 1911 platform.
Another option would be the 400 Corbon- same idea, 45 brass necked down to 40 caliber.
My guess is, in all 3 choices, the velocity reached out of a rifle barrel won't be a lot more than out of a pistol- the case doesn't hold enough powder to gain much from a rifle barrel. That's just my guess, though.
SavageRuger

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 4:14 pm    Post subject: Re: 45acp or 38/45 clerke Reply with quote

My vote is for the 45ACP. It's worldwide, has a wide variety of loads, powders, bullets, and cases. In short, it's a very versitle cartridge. Additionally, you will find several revolvers that shoot the same with clips - very accurate as well.

That Aussie law stinks!

Possibly I'm naive but, a country that big, how can they check everyone? Especially in the country/outback?

We are fighting the fight on a daily basis.

gelandangan

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 5:00 pm    Post subject: Re: 45acp or 38/45 clerke Reply with quote

@4rum & Joe Yeah I reckon I better go for the 45. I am a bit lazy reforming brass (as I did with the 300 whisper of mine)

@Jack I don't know if this is true or not but, if I load with rifle powder (therefore slower burning) I should be able to get a bit higher velocity out of the 45ACP in a rifle length barrel (20inch or more). As a powder monkey, I learn that slower VOD gives better heave provided it have a channel and containment to do so. Fast pistol powders are designed to burn out within the short pistol barrel, so they have higher brisance value or shock throwing, thus they do not attain high enough velocity.

@ SavageRuger

Mad yeh Aussie law stinks - The problem is that we do not have as you yanks do, the Second Amendment to protect your right to bear arms. It is a big country with a very little police force, thus there are big problem in policing guns. To make themselves look better the politicians and paper shufflers try to control guns by taking them away from people that they know owns guns (the licensed gun owners). We law abiding citizens has been penalized for a long time since we are the ones that admit that we own guns legally. Mad
Can they check anyone? In the outback? Hell no. Mad They can't even protect their own police station from being made into a sieve (in Lakemba , Sydney) and just recently in the news, it was revealed that the guns that they took from us and supposed to be destroyed was ended up in the hands of criminals and were used for holdups and such. Mad
Their way of thinking is that we don't have to arm ourself because the police are there to protect you. If the police is not there and you got mug, then Oh it is a tragic incident, but you got to understand the police cannot be everywhere. What a piece of joke!! and its not even funny. Mad
My "new" secondhand .22 rifle need an new magazine. I found one dealer in Texas that have one for sale, It has a capacity to store 5 (five) .22 long rifle. But can I just buy them? No.. I need a form call B709A that I have to apply to the Firearms registry to get, fill the form and send it back to them, then they will send me a permission to purchase, then when the item arrived, the customs will charge me a "clearence fee" to match the magazine to the paperwork, and I was told that I should bring the mag to a gunsmith to certify that it is indeed the mag that fit my rifle. All this is because I bought a $20 rifle without a magazine. Mad

/rant-off Very Happy

Pardon me, I got a lot of steam to let off... Now I need a cup of coffee...

Do - Not try!

gelandangan.weebly.com/
Vince
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 6:16 pm    Post subject: Re: 45acp or 38/45 clerke Reply with quote

I have never owned a .45 but have used many.

Like the others I lean towards the .45 for your new rifle.

A few guys had 38/45 conversions in the pistol club I belonged to. They were never really popular because for the effort required to produce the cases they did not return any real advantage over the .45 or 9mm when target shooting (IPSC).

Gelan, you are right about our gun laws. It sucks. The govt is targeting the soft targets.....law abiding citizens who will comply. I suppose that I "rolled over" when I handed in my pistols willingly, but it hurt big time knowing that my TC Contender and 586 were going to be gas-axed. I got a whisper the other day that the Qld Govt and Police are going to revisit the current gun laws and revise them. Apparently one of the things they are going to look at is reducing magazine capacities to 5 rounds. This will mean that those of use that have Win Mod 94 with a capacity of 7 rounds will no doubt loose them. Mad Mad Mad

Thats it, I'm writing my local member.....and anyone else I can think of to vent my spleen!!! I'm off my soap box now. Rant

Before you convert/build your new rifle mate, I would do a little research on the .45 in longer barrelled firearms like the Thompson "Tommy Gun" and any other firearms you can find. Will give you an idea of the viability of the project and whether or not it will be worth the expense.

Cheers, Vince

Illegitimi non carborundum
(Never let the bastards grind you down)

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.

"Nulla Si Fa Senza Volonta."
(Without Commitment, Nothing Gets Done)
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » Gun & Firearm Discussions
Page 1 of 1