Albums: 308
 Pictures: 2451
  · Views: 820725
  · Votes: 1316
  · Comments: 86

Hunting alone is crazy?
Big Game Hunting topics that dont fit other categories
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » Big Game Hunting

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Hunting Alone....
It's safe I do it all the time.
60%
 60%  [ 20 ]
It would be neat to try sometime.
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
I can see why people do it, I might try it.
15%
 15%  [ 5 ]
It's not a good idea, so I wouldn't do it.
15%
 15%  [ 5 ]
Its really not a good idea and I'd never do it.
9%
 9%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 33

Dimitri

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 5:59 pm    Post subject: Hunting alone is crazy? Reply with quote

Hello all,

I was wondering what your opinion on hunting alone is, personally I think it would be neat, get out enjoy the outdoors without distractions, completly on your own so you can think, I've always liked the outdoors and spending time away from it all by myself but never for more then most of the day while having a camp with family nearby and never really far from help (larger Provencial Parks etc), but I can read a map and compass and I can navigate pretty good in the wilderness away from the trails etc. I can cover quite abit of land when needed, last summer was avaraging 7km's a hour in the bush while hiking (or would this be more like running hiking ?? Confused ) on uneven terrain etc with a 20lb pack. Smile

The only downfall is if you shoot a animal just got to pack it ALL out yourself (still would give good exercise I guess Very Happy ) but other then that seems like a fun idea. Smile

By the way before you talk about a emergacy etc if I was gonna do it I'd be carrying one of thouse fancy PLB for a EXTREME emergacy only. Basiclly I'd be dead within a couple hours before I'd decide to click it. Razz

Dimitri

Morax

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 6:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Hunting alone is crazy? Reply with quote

most of the guys i know do the "lemme alone" for hunting, if you got a good head on your shoulders go for it, of course the normal things apply, safety and all, but i think it is worth it cause it is you against the world...
DallanC
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 6:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Hunting alone is crazy? Reply with quote

I hunt alone 99% of the time. I really dont have any friends that hunt anymore. My boy is starting to get old enough to go with me which will be fun.

-DallanC
shrpshtrjoe
Super Red Neck Member
Super Red Neck Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 6:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Hunting alone is crazy? Reply with quote

There are some downfalls to it as far as a saftey standpoint. But There is also alot personel acomplishment for going at it alone. I hunt alone about 50% of the time.
Joe

P E T A
People Eating Tasty Animals
Handloader

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 7:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Hunting alone is crazy? Reply with quote

What is # 039?

Solo hunts define the hunter, IMO. On your own tests all the aspects of going into the country and I do it frequently.

It is also prudent to make sure someone who cares about you knows when you are planning to return and where exactly you are planning to go.

The Safety Nazis would outlaw any solo backcountry experience, least your actions challenge their emasculated and feminized view of the world. Women and children like to be in groups, men often prefer to be alone and take on risks that are out of the ordinary. These are defining experiences that present a counterpoint to today's cellphone addicted, text message, "my network" mentality.
Bushmaster

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 9:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Hunting alone is crazy? Reply with quote

Ya missed on Dimitri..."It's not safe, but I do it anyway"... That would be my vote. I just camp with a lot of people...

DEMOCRACY Two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for lunch...
LIBERTY A well armed sheep contesting the outcome of the vote...
Grant

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 10:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Hunting alone is crazy? Reply with quote

I hunt alone a fair bit, probably 80% or more of the time. I like it better, I hunt my way and at my pace. It might not be the safest way to go, but I'll keep doing it until I'm a fair bit older than I am now. When I can't get the game out on my own, I guess I'll have to stop doing it and hunt with others.

pth1947

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 10:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Hunting alone is crazy? Reply with quote

Hunt alone most of the time on my land.

1895ss

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 11:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Hunting alone is crazy? Reply with quote

I hunt alone some times. It can be enjoyable.

gelandangan

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 1:01 am    Post subject: Re: Hunting alone is crazy? Reply with quote

so far, i always hunt with at least 1 mate.

Australian bush got lots of nasties, a bite from a brown snake or a funnel web spider may terminate my hunting days forever, I mean forever dead. Can't take the chance with two kids of mine barely grown up and the mortgage still huge.

Gelan

Do - Not try!

gelandangan.weebly.com/
Dimitri

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 5:39 am    Post subject: Re: Hunting alone is crazy? Reply with quote

Bushmaster wrote:
Ya missed on Dimitri..."It's not safe, but I do it anyway"... That would be my vote. I just camp with a lot of people...

Well Bushmaster, I didn't think about that one. Smile

gelandangan, Your a responcible one I see. Wink

Dimitri

Hutch
Rookie Member
Rookie Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 8:36 am    Post subject: Re: Hunting alone is crazy? Reply with quote

In years past, it was reasonable to hunt alone unless there was a medical problem which would make it unsafe. However, it was never a really good idea because of the many thing that could go wrong.

In today's environment in the US with so many Meth Labs and real "Do Bads" inhabiting the field and woods of both private and public land, I won't do it anymore.

I did go alone once this past year, but with other hunters in the area and later discovered that there was a Meth Lab about 100 yards from where I parked my truck. Although I do enjoy it, I won't do it again in my lifetime......
Grant

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 9:42 am    Post subject: Re: Hunting alone is crazy? Reply with quote

Hutch wrote:
I did go alone once this past year, but with other hunters in the area and later discovered that there was a Meth Lab about 100 yards from where I parked my truck. Although I do enjoy it, I won't do it again in my lifetime......

OOOOO!!!!

So ya switched to vermin hunting when ya found the lab? No one would even arrest you if you and your buddies just sat up on a hill doing a little target practice on the meth lab.

Dawgdad

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:41 am    Post subject: Re: Hunting alone is crazy? Reply with quote

If you are smart about it and leave messages as to where you will be and when you will return it can be very enjoyable. Here in the heart land, I can get cell phone signals even in the middle of the Shawnee National Forest! I love Verizon!

Funny phone story, When I got my first phone that had the vibrate feature on it, i put it in the inside pocket of my hunting coat and went out for a late season doe hunt in January. I trekked in across about a half mile of knee deep snow and got to my stand. As I an sitting there catching my breath I get this strange buzzing feeling in my chest, I think I am having a heart attack! Then I remember the phone in my pocket..... Very Happy

Rainmaker
Rookie Member
Rookie Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 9:23 am    Post subject: Re: Hunting alone is crazy? Reply with quote

Interesting poll! Is hunting alone crazy? My answer is no! I think that when hunting alone or not hunting is the only options that there is only one choice. Hunting alone is not crazy. Regarding safety I feel that hunting is as safe as anything else that you do.
Due to circumstances this year my hunting partners couldn’t get away for our annual week of bowhunting. That didn’t stop me. Like Bushmaster I hunt alone, depending on the game animal being hunted, and from a camp with other hunters. This year I camped alone as well. Staying home when plans have been made and wishing that I was hunting is not an option yet.
A twist to this poll might be “does hunting alone affect how often you go hunting?”. For me the answer is yes. I’m certain that I would have hunted more times this season if I didn’t have to go alone. I guess you can say that other people are good motivators.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » Big Game Hunting
Page 1 of 5