Albums: 308
 Pictures: 2452
  · Views: 824013
  · Votes: 1316
  · Comments: 86

Don't mess with an Aussie Redback Spider
Discussions run-amok, innane banter it all goes here
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » Spam-O-Rama

View previous topic :: View next topic  
OntheLasGallinas

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 4:47 am    Post subject: Re: Don't mess with an Aussie Redback Spider Reply with quote

Spiders and snakes don't bother me. The only thing down here that makes me nervous is Javelinas and a mad Brahma cow with a new born calf. The first will sever your tendons and render you inoperable; the second will just gore the shit out of you. I’m just glad that Javelina’s are near-sighted; I’ve never seen a mad Brahma cow that couldn’t paint a bulls-eye on your back, or ass, or whatever. I’ve got quite a few scars on my body and former broken bones from working wild brush-country cattle. The only advice I can give is to beware of Javilenas, and keep the Brahma blood in your herd down below 50%.

Cary

OntheLasGallinas

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 4:59 am    Post subject: Re: Don't mess with an Aussie Redback Spider Reply with quote

According to this web page, Texas has about 900 species of spiders, with very few that are harmful to humans. See the web page below. We even have a Spitting Spider. I guess they won't hurt you, just piss you off. (http://insects.tamu.edu/extension/bulletins/l-1787.html)

Cary

sniper

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 6:43 am    Post subject: Re: Don't mess with an Aussie Redback Spider Reply with quote

Vince: Is that ALL? Shocked How many of those little beauties are venemous and dangerous to humans? Whoo! Enough to give a guy the creeps!
Vince
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 10:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Don't mess with an Aussie Redback Spider Reply with quote

sniper wrote:
Vince: Is that ALL? Shocked How many of those little beauties are venemous and dangerous to humans? Whoo! Enough to give a guy the creeps!

Gidday Snipes....mate, EVERY spider is venomous.....just some more so than others. Its their venom that allows them to catch their food. Funny though, the most venomous spider we have out here...the Funnel Web, surprisingly the male, don't worry animals....most animals are immune to their venom. Let one of the buggers bite you or me, and unless you get the antivenom into your system REAL quick, you had better stick yer head between ya legs and kiss ya butt goodbye cause it is EXTREMELY deadly. The quickest recored death was a child who was bitten...15 minutes !!

There is one other spider in the world that is as deadly.....the Brazilian Wandering Spider....and you guys are far more likely to encounter that one in the US than we are out here. Oh yeah, and lets not forget the Hobo Spider in the US. Very Happy Very Happy
Laughing Laughing Laughing

Spiders....interesting, but nasty, little buggers.

Cheers, Vince

Illegitimi non carborundum
(Never let the bastards grind you down)

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.

"Nulla Si Fa Senza Volonta."
(Without Commitment, Nothing Gets Done)
gelandangan

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 11:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Don't mess with an Aussie Redback Spider Reply with quote

Mate, theres another house spider that made headlines..

White-tailed spider.. it causes your flesh to melt and die long time after its bite. I think its called some type of necrosis.. cant remember and too lazy to google Very Happy

Do - Not try!

gelandangan.weebly.com/
Vince
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 11:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Don't mess with an Aussie Redback Spider Reply with quote

Yeah, I know of the White Tailed Spider....but its not as bad as they say.

Still, it is another of the nasties.

Cheers, Vince

Illegitimi non carborundum
(Never let the bastards grind you down)

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.

"Nulla Si Fa Senza Volonta."
(Without Commitment, Nothing Gets Done)
tikkat3

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 12:37 am    Post subject: Re: Don't mess with an Aussie Redback Spider Reply with quote

Its 'Lampona Murina' in the Spiders of SE Q'ld. You posted the link on the previous page
Morax

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 3:34 am    Post subject: Re: Don't mess with an Aussie Redback Spider Reply with quote

gelandangan wrote:

White-tailed spider.. it causes your flesh to melt and die long time after its bite. I think its called some type of necrosis.. cant remember and too lazy to google Very Happy

yeah we have them here only we call them wives
gelandangan

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 5:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Don't mess with an Aussie Redback Spider Reply with quote

Morax wrote:
gelandangan wrote:

yeah we have them here only we call them wives

wtf
Morax mate.. sometimes I worry about you..
To fix this problem, you may wanna bring your wife on "second honeymoon" Downunder.. Very Happy Very Happy

Do - Not try!

gelandangan.weebly.com/
OntheLasGallinas

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 8:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Don't mess with an Aussie Redback Spider Reply with quote

We have a small spider here that sound like about the same thing as the white tailed spider; it's called the brown recluse. It is no bigger than a half inch, but its toxin causes necrosis (rotting flesh). The toxin lasts a long time and even a small bit can cause a lot of damage to large areas around the bite area. I've never heard of a death from them, but victims have lots of nerve and tissue damage. They love to live in homes.

Cary

twofifty

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 10:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Don't mess with an Aussie Redback Spider Reply with quote

Tarentula behaviour in California's Sierra mountains was surprising...tarentula happened to be crossing the road. I pulled over to check it out. It reared up on its legs and faced me as I circled around it....

A similar experience with a live crab, taken home for eating. Put it on the countertop while the water was heating up. It would turn its eye stalks toward me, following my movements. If I crept up to it by keeping low, it would spot me as soon as I poked my head above the counter.

These odd animals (meaning not birds or mammals) seem totally aware of our presence.
gelandangan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 1:15 am    Post subject: Re: Don't mess with an Aussie Redback Spider Reply with quote

twofifty wrote:

These odd animals (meaning not birds or mammals) seem totally aware of our presence.

If some giant two hundred times bigger than I am wanna eat me, I got to be aware of their presence too.. difference is them insect only got poison, I got guns Pistol Shooting Pistol Shooting Pistol Shooting so you feelin lucky punk? Very Happy Very Happy

Do - Not try!

gelandangan.weebly.com/
Morax

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 3:44 am    Post subject: Re: Don't mess with an Aussie Redback Spider Reply with quote

geli would love to send her there, she wouldnt want to come back, and i will be there right after the exterminator service gives me the all clear of no spiders heheh

yeah spiders are strange little buggers, had a small less than 1/4 incher rear back in attack posture on the wife the other day, she laughed and said squish, but still gotta give em credit for it dont matter the size of the spider in the fight..
greywolf58
Rookie Member
Rookie Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 7:24 am    Post subject: Re: Don't mess with an Aussie Redback Spider Reply with quote

ummmmm yeah ok < now that my breakfast has left the building < for my first post < did i mention that i hate spiders? i love snakes <but you can keep the * legged things < seems like everything in au kills ya! spiders snakes and who knows what else makes me glad i live in the great white north! here i only worry about grizzlys polarbears cougar and the like ! those i understand and those make nice rugs Smile
English Mike

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 4:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Don't mess with an Aussie Redback Spider Reply with quote

Hey Vince

What's this about a hospital being shut after an invasion of redbacks?

news.theage.com.au/red...-281i.html
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » Spam-O-Rama
Page 2 of 3